K5-XL1000 Kind LED Grow Lights

Balthazar420

Has anyone used the
K5-XL1000 Kind LED Grow Lights

I am currenty in a 4x4 tent with a 315w cmh, but realizing I cant yield as much as i would like in a 4x4. So after this grow i think i am going to purchase a 5x9 tent. I am considering swapping to led from the cmh, due to needing to run multiple lights in a 5x9. I cant handle the heat of running more cmh lights, even with ac unit in the room and extraction fans. Any references on good light systems that will run cooler than my cmh would be greatly appreciated as well.

QBs are one of the best out now
timber is a sponsor and utilize the HLG boards

You can also do an easy diy build with QBs, or Quantum Boards

Stay away from Kind, it's crap components in a glossy white cabinet.... It's way too expensive compared to what you get...

If you want a bang for you buck, get something with mid power diodes from Samsung, LM561C (S06 bin or better), or the best diode on the market, the LM301B.

If you're in the US, getting QBs directly from HLG is one of the best ways if you want a plug and play lamp or a easy to assemble DIY kit with all you need.
However, you can find the stuff you need cheaper and in other shapes elsewhere, but then you have to order from different places and know a little about what bits to get.

There's no doubt that the best you can get for DIY today are the Samsung H inFlux linear light strips.
Just as easy to wire as QBs, with push connectors, and you get a nice discount when buying +25 pieces.
The Samsung F-series might also be a good choice because you can get 1120mm (~ 4') strips which means a lot less wiring in a big space like yours.

I recently build a lamp with 4x L06 H inFlux strips and with its 352 LM301B diodes it's meant to properly saturate 2x2, but after powering it up I'm sure it would kill a 400w HID in a 3x3 tent, at half the wattage :)

The Bridgelux EB2 or Vesta strips might also be worth looking up.

QBs are one of the best out now
timber is a sponsor and utilize the HLG boards

You can also do an easy diy build with QBs, or Quantum Boards

absolutely agree Quantum boards or cob leds are the way to go. And repair is DIY vs a much harder DIY or send in for warranty and hope it doesn't take weeks to get back

Thanks so much guys. I am gonna have to look into building my own. I feel like a lot of these companies lights are over priced. feel like my cheap cmh would still outperform a lot of them.

Look into the HLG boards, real easy to diy

Holler anytime if I can help, the correct driver can be a challenge, I learned the hard way...lol

Can't thank you enough for offering your help, really appreciate it. I'm sure ill be bugging you with questions here before long. i was looking the hlg diy kits this morning.
would like to replicate the light below, if it can be done diy cheaper.

Horticulture Lighting Group - HLG 550 V2 LED Grow Light

Can't thank you enough for offering your help, really appreciate it. I'm sure ill be bugging you with questions here before long. i was looking the hlg diy kits this morning.

I use the QB 132, no need for a heat sink so real easy and cheap

U can make a simple frame and put a bunch together. I have 6 bds in my 4x4 tent, works great, ,8 would be even better

I'll try and find a pic

Easy done :)

I use 4x 135w kits in my 4x4 and they are very very nice, they're $185 per kit.

Or use this recipe below if you like, cut it down to 4 boards and 2 drivers if you like, it's plenty-o-lite ;)

Copied from my Build Your Own LED Grow Light thread

Building a QB lamp for 4x4 yourself:

6x QB 288: 6 x 75 = $450 - HLG
6x heatsink: 6 x 14,49 = $86,94 - HLG
3x Meanwell HLG240H-C2100A drivers: 3 x 70 = $210 - Mouser
(boards will be dimmable in groups of 2 this way)
Wires, power cord, connectors, nuts, bolts etc. = $20 - electricity/hardware store/online shop

Total = $767, lets say a little shipping fees and extras like hangers are added and you're looking at an even $800 for a powerhouse of light with adjustable output and 6 points of light that can each be hanging at different heights
All you need for assembly is a small phillips head screwdriver and a pair of scissors.

Still, strips will be cheaper and make it easier to cover the space evenly, check out LEDGardener's article on strip builds, can't post a link, so I'll PM one :)

I highly recommend their 4x4 build with 8 of the single row 4' F-series 3000K strips (part number @ digikey: SI-B8V521B20WW) but on 2 HLG 320h - 48 drivers, and as 2 lamps, rather than one big as LEDGardener suggests.
I think you can get it for $500-600 and it has the same amount of diodes as the HLG550.

I'm no expert on high end LED setups, but I have used the cheaper chinese LED's they work pretty good, but probably not as good as the better COB's. But I now run my current 4x4 with CMH and LED. I have two CHM and one LED because of the size limitation. But if you are going to a 5x9, you might want to use two CMH lights and two LED lights. Just alternate each light in the row. Then you will have the benefit of CMH lights and LED lights. If heat is an issue, you can remove the ballast from the lights and mount them outside the tent. It makes a big difference with the heat. in a 5x9 tent, it would probably reduce the heat by 10-15 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom