L'il Shorty - A Flowering Cloning Attempt

Clancy

Hi 420People!,

What do you think the chances are that this little thing (nicknamed L'il Shorty) will grow into a producing plant?

It's a budding stem that I accidentally broke off my white widow plant when it was about 3 weeks into flower. Probably not the best time to try a clone but I didn't have much choice in this case.

It's about 10 days old in total now with about 3 days in soil. I coated the base of the stem really well with rooting hormone and then made a hole carefully in the soil to welcome the stem. Once in the pot I closed the soil around the stem and now...just waiting to see what will happen. So far, it seems to like its living arrangements.

What would you say are the odds of some success for L'il Shorty.

20150607_202316.jpg

20150609_143221.jpg

] The Short One is still looking good. I uploaded this photo just to show its real size because I thought the first pics made the clone look a heck of a lot bigger than it actually is.

I have no idea if it's alive or dead or if it's growing roots or whether it's just slowly dying on me. It looks very healthy though...nice and green, firm, fresh looking. The little buds still look alive and dewy. I'll keep posting it's progress over the coming days in case anyone is interested. I know I am because I've never grown a clone before and I just stuck this one in soil so it's keeping me occupied.

Signs of life! Maybe this shorty is alive and growing after all: those little shoots on near the stem have gotten bigger. But is it turning male on me?? I can't tell.

20150615_103440-2.jpg

Now that I remember I cut it from the plant with a knife so it would have been a clean cut. I also scraped some of the first layer of skin from the stem too, in places--kind of like peeling it in places. The plant actually looks mostly quite healthy but I can see that the tips of the leaves are getting yellow. One of the bottom fan leaves is really yellowing, dead basically. Thx for your interest in this, i appreciate the help.

Wait has the cutting been sitting out in the open since taking it? If so its not going to live if you don't get in a enclosed environment. It needs a high RH%(humidity). Cut the bottom off a 2 liter mist the inside with water and the cutting also and cut the tips of the fan leaves off so it can retain moisture until it grows roots. hope that helps. I hope it makes it.

Your clones are looking nice. I can see how you trim me the leaves there. I did have my clone under a plastic wrap for a while so it hasn't been exposed to the air that much. I tried another clone a while back but it just slowly petered out. This one was an accident anyway so if something comes of it , super. Good luck with your plants...it's such a good hobby!

Here's the mother of my clone: still growing. This was taken close to 3 weeks ago.
20150531_202444.jpg

This has been kind of an experiment because #1 I've never cloned before and also I failed the 1st attempt, and #2 it was a 3 week-old budding cola. So it does seem to work. How long it will need to reveg is a question I need to answer though.

20150621_180053.jpg

I thought I'd give a status update for what's been going on with this shorty. Above the soil it looks like it hasn't changed but yesterday I noticed a big white root poking out the peat pot.

So for sure it's alive and is doing some foundational growing. I left the leaves uncut just to see what would happen. So far, it doesn't seem to have had any effect at all. The tips are yellowed and some leaf has been damaged but theta's nothing drastic going on.

I replanted it in a much bigger pot to give those roots lots of space to explore and colonize new ground. The soil is just some retail soil I had--Shultz and another kind. At least there's nutrients in the soil and I will not be fertilizing it with more nutes. Might see if I need to do that later on but for now I'll leave it be.

In about 10 days I'm going to move it under a 400w light so it can continue to reveg for a few weeks and then into 12/12 it'll go.

Can someone give me some advice here? Does anyone have an idea how long it'll likely be before I see some signs of growth above the soil on this clone? I know it's growing roots and it's alive and it's actually quite fragrant---I feel like smoking it...lol. But it looks the same now as it has for the past 5-6 weeks; I didn't bother posting a pic because nothing has changed.
Is it because I'm only giving it sunlight indoors? It gets about 10=12 hours of sun but with about 6 hours of really strong sun. I'm wondering if the plant still is "resting" in the flowering stage. If I put it under my 400w for 20/4 or 18/6 will it start to fill out?

It needs several weeks of at least a 18/6 light schedule to revert back to vegetative state. 5-6 weeks seems like a long time though. Give her more Hours of light see what she does.

No problem. I just started growing my own, but experience in nurseries gave me a jumpstart on cloning. I think I have like a 95-98% success rate after hundreds of clones. Except for a few that I killed after getting them rooted and transplanted. Those were from flower and I cut the bud off thinking it would lighten the load for the little ones and apparently it was too much stress. They died off within a day or two after snipping the buds off. Then again that doesn't mess with the success rate, I cloned them, I just killed them immediately after. You had the tip burn after putting it in that soil right? Might be slight burn, stunts growth for a little. And at that stage, most of the growth is going on where you cant see.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Hi Colorado, actually no, the journal isn't finished yet. I've been waiting for a bit more growth before updating. Will be posting soon.

The little White Widow broken stem I named Shorty has really taken off. I had never tried saving a stem like this before, and it was taken fairly late in flower so I wasn't sure what to expect. Now it looks like I've got another great White Widow coming on. Cool!

Here's the new and improved Shorty:
20150801_145254.jpg

Shorty is roughly 8 weeks old now--if I don't count how old it was as a broken stem. So, it's similar I guess to a seedling that has grown for 2 months. In one week I'll put it into the flowering chamber-----and then it's another 2 months of flowering.

So, from the perspective of time I don't see how cloning saves any time---my plants generally take 4 months anyway from seed. (although i'm growing an auto right now that should be ready, seed to harvest at just over 3 months. My take thus far is that cloning is good mostly for saving the mother strain and cutting out the germination worries. ---Oh, and for saving broken stems :)

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom