L.O.S. - Coco Based

lowrent

hey everybuddy. ok, got off to a rough start. my first group was struggling and before I thought to check the pH of my water because, it's well water and has stayed the same for years, I started a second group. (it dropped from 6.0 to 5.2 for some reason??) the first group turned around and I now have to many plants but, I'll figure it out as I go.

Equipment
- 78" cube tent
- 315 cmh (I bought the conversion kit and used it with a regular hood)
- hlg 550
- (2) 6" durabreeze in-line fans (435 cfm ..I think)
- 3 and 5 gallon pots (/with most of their bottoms cut out and use screen - 4 big triangle-ish shape quadrants removed)

Soil Mix ( added to 7.5 gal of a 70/30-ish coco/perlite mix)
*Build-A-Soil products
- craft blend mix - 2 cups
- mineral mix - 1 cup
- pinto bean compost - 4 cups
- bio char - 2 cups
- cytoplus - 2 tbsp.
- vam endo myco mix - 2 tbsp.
- yucca meal ThermX 15m - 1/3 cup
- modern microbes - 2 tbsp.

Other
- worm castings - 4 cups
- carbo load (AN) - 2 tbsp

I make 2 batches a single amended (SA) batch and a double amended (DA) batch. (not doubling the microbes in the DA batch). I put the DA batch in the bottom third of my pots

Watering
- carb load (AN)
- ferocious (junglegrow)
- mammoth P

- during the veg cycle every other watering with ferocious and carbo load. during the flowering cycle every other use all 3
- I do pH my water each time and keep it between 6.3-ish to 6.5-ish.

Plants
- front group - 3 green crack, a grape kush, a banana kush, and a bad azz kush
- back group - 2 blue dream, 2 bad azz kush, a grape kush, and a banana kush

growers' note - ....my health is real bad (first and last time you'll hear me speak on it) and is on the decline. I've been essentially home bound for the past 8 years. I can make if out for short trips once or twice a week (nothing for pleasure or fun) but, it's hard on me. hard on my body to even type stuff out on the computer and is the reason i'm not real chatty. growing is way to much for me but, when you grow your own meds, you do what you gotta do.
it was time to change things up for a spell so, I thought i'd do a journal (..and maybe get above 50 post's so, I can vote in the contests...chuckle)

..with all that being said ....some pic's (couple of the pics were taken a couple days earlier)

thanks for stopping in .....b safe
k'den

Oooooo.... another place to come and watch..... Great time of year for us voyeurists!!! :cool:

Looks like you got this under control...only thing to do is sit over there and munch on cheesy poofs. :popcorn:

say there everybuddy.

...thanks kindly bonsai for stopping in. appreciate it.

one of a few set backs I had when starting this grow (..way late AGAIN) was one of my fans went down. ( last grow was my first grow in my garage) I had one fan in the corner of my tent (got it moved up into the attic before this grow). the second fan I had built a "silencer box" to knock the noise down. it was the fan the went bad so, I took a few pics, just in case anyone was looking for an idea for one. the black fan was the old and the blue is the new. the box is made from 2" foam board, foam padding, silicone sealer (not used for the lid or top), and white duct tape. not shown in the pictures are two thin rubber mats I lay over the top of the padding, covering front-to-back and goes down the sides. then the top gets taped down. i'd say it reduced the noise by about 90%. you can still hear it but, it's more like "quiet noise."

b safe all. k'den

Nice sound reduction. Looks like some thought went into it.....:thumb:

Ha, my garage is so loud with 2 air movers running mostly all night. I remember when tent was in a bedroom, very noisy and cold. Your setup looks great. I'll keep an eye on your place.

Cheers

hey there everybuddy.

hey bonsai....yeah, the hang up was what to build the box out of and foam board seemed to a good choice. it does do a good job knocking the sound down. thanks for the stopping in.

hey millertm. I think of that when I look in on your grow after, admiring your plants, of course . I know the fan I had in the tent the last grow (in attic now) was driving me crazy. I pretty much live in the garage. it's were I drink coffee, vape, smoke cigs, and listen to talk radio all day and night. I had to cut that noise down. sounds like you and I followed the same grow room evolution. I was in a spare bedroom for 10+ years and just made the move out to the garage last grow. I didn't have a tent though..
I had to open and shut the room up everyday. I unfolded the closest doors and put a wood frame across them to hang the lights. the wife was very tolerable for many years. very happy with being in the garage and the new set up....thanks. good to have you stop in. thanks again.

I was surprised when cleaning up the lower parts of the plants and doing some leaf tucking that, what was suppose to be a banana kush and a green crack, are in fact autos. I didn't even order any autos or get any as free seeds is the kicker. not sure what to do with them. I hate to cut them down but, I don't want a 90+ day auto. plus, I could use the room and was leaning towards taking out a couple anyway. add one more thing to the "crazy" start. in the front group, they are (looking front to back) the middle left and the back right. besides that, my only issue is the "lack of" humidity. pretty much stays around zero. creeps up from time to time and I can get a 40%'er day here and there.
b safe all. k'den

hey, hey, alfalfa everybuddy. another week down. I didn't mention in the beginning that because, of the cruddy start, I thought I'd run a little experiment with the front/first group. knowing I was going to have to many plants (if they all turned around) and couple-few would have to go, in the 3 gal pots, I half filled with the DA batch (the 2nd or back group 3gal pots got the normal 1/3rd ). that was 4 out of 6. one of them turned out be an auto so, I chopped it. the remaining 3 look a little beat up and are growing slowly but, they are chugging along. wait and see on them. when looking straight on at the tent, they are the front 2 and the 3rd one on the left. one of the two 5gal pots in the first group turned out to be an auto so, it also was chopped. they've been rearranged a little bit but, I think you can tell which ones are a week behind. when they get a little bigger i'll identify which ones are which.

my lights-on temps range from 78-80 degrees and my temps run between 65-70 when the lights are out.....I think. distance for both lights is about 24" from the plants. every other watering with carbo load and ferocious. pH'd in the 6.3's.

guess that's it for this week. take care and b safe. k'den

Looking good in there......you doing something they like... :thumb:

hey everybuddy. got rid of the front 2. they were 2 of the 3 testers remaining. I needed the room and they were fugly. i'm going to go ahead and transplant the remaining 1 (see if it will turn around) and the other 2 - 3gal pots into 5gal in the next couple days. since I had to transplant and make up some new pots, I thought i'd show a pic of how I cut out the bottoms to help with drainage. I use screen to cover the bottoms to hold in the soil. only been a couple days but, added some shots of the plants too.
take care and b safe all. k'den

hey foxtrot. not ken but, you can call me that. thanks on the plants. yup, done some light lower defol on them and removal of the lower branches and the lower bud sites on the lowest branches (as I can). i'm a bender. when they hit 18" - 24" in height, i'll bend them (put a 90 degree on them) and start doing whatever staking and such that has to be done as they go along.
again, thanks for the kind words and the visit too. c'yalaterbye

alfalfa everybuddy. i'd say for the plants they range from 21- 28 days. ..maybe a couple more. the official line up is, on the left from front to back: grape kush (topped), 2 bad azz kush, green crack (tester and transplanted 2 days ago). on the right: green crack, banana kush, 2 blue dream ( testers and transplanted 2 days ago). I moved the sad looking plants under the cmh because, it's more of a "theraputic" light. I think they'll be fine....even the green crack.

-temps between 77.5 to 79.5, humidity 0-50; lights 24"
-every other watering (pH'd 6.3-6.4 ish) with carbo (1/2 amount) and ferocious
-some leaf tucking and lower bud and leaf removal

guess that's it for now. take care and b safe all.

hey everybuddy. just thought i'd add that I do have a mini-split. I had it put in before the growroom move into the garage. it's a mistubishi. the biggest I could get. I think you can see it above the tent. however, on hot days instead of cranking the temps down, I open the tent some. not real worried about bugs right now. c'yalaterbye

say there lunatic fringe. an adjustment made. the back 4 were a couple-few inches below the front 4. I wanted to get everything level so, the lights and the canopy would be at the same height. I should be flipping in a week.

bad azz kush ...if you haven't grown it ...think about it

take care and be safe all ah'eetden

lunatic fringe hey. finally my humidity has risen above 50%. the green crack in the back is starting to green-up. transplant did it well. 5-6 more days and I will flip them.
just a quickie. take care and be safe all. c'yalaterbye

hey lunatic fringe.
only been a couple of days but, going do a little posting (because i had to fill the humidifier thingy). tent is pretty full from front to back so, definitely going to flip on sunday. the 3 I had to transplant will have had over a week by then. I use to rotate (from one spot to the next) the plants and turn them but, now they stay in place and I give them a 1/4 turn every 3 or 4 days.

- every other watering with carbo and ferocious. pH'd to 6.3-6.5
- I never use any tea's

guess that's it for now. take care and b safe all. c'yalaterbye

double dippin' lunatic fringe.
there were 2 more that should have made the pic list. I have to stand on that little white stool to take these pic's. later tater's

..I really only did start this journal to take my mind off of akemi (my dog) so, for all of you "cool cat's" ..get bent
...also to share my soil recipe because, it's pretty darn good. lowrents'soil mix thanks to Build-a-Soil

hey zincite. appreciate you being a part of the "fringe" and the kind words. no feeding at all. no tea's of any kind. just water and the carbo. this is only the second run using ferocious....not needed really but, I like it. it's just a peroxide solution I think. the DA (double amended) batch of soil on the bottom of my pots handles all of the nutrient requirements. makes it very simple and the results and yields are great. just have to make sure you have the light to drive the plants, if you don't, I would only use the SA (single amended) batch. I wouldn't use the DA batch in anything smaller than 5 gal pots. I found that out this run with my testers. I think it's the best soil mix on this site...hands down.
thanks for the visit my friend. k'den

Back
Top Bottom