Landrace Genetics 101

I used to universally hate men who beat on women. But then I met more women, lol. I still don't like such things, but I now understand that it's not always one-sided. Plus, I figure that if a guy beats the sh!t out of a woman and then she goes to sleep beside him afterwards, she's as dumb as he is (pick up a cast iron skillet from the kitchen before you go to the bedroom, FFS!).

I despised my father to the day he died. He was brutal to my mom and us kids, beatings were common. My mother divorced his sorry ass when I was 5 and moved us to Florida and later to California. He remarried a younger woman after that. I am told that he hit her one time and one time only. She came back at him in his face and said that if he ever hit her again, she would take the cast iron skillet and slam him up side his head after he fell asleep and he would never wake up again. He apparently got the message. But he was brutal to us when I we were younger. My shrink says I have PTSD from that experience as a child. I treasure my mom for standing up to him and divorcing his ass. That was in the early 1960s when it was very hard for women to do what she did.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but I saw ACE seeds has a pure Leb in the works, it is not released yet. Something to look for in the future. I dunno. I am always interested in what they might do.

Be interesting to see what they come up with.

I like this Blue Hemp sativa pheno for what I am looking for in the Lebby strains. Im'a gonna clone this gal after I harvest her (re-veg under lights, and clone the veg growth).

I despised my father to the day he died. He was brutal to my mom and us kids, beatings were common. My mother divorced his sorry ass when I was 5 and moved us to Florida and later to California. He remarried a younger woman after that. I am told that he hit her one time and one time only. She came back at him in his face and said that if he ever hit her again, she would take the cast iron skillet and slam him up side his head after he fell asleep and he would never wake up again. He apparently got the message. But he was brutal to us when I we were younger. My shrink says I have PTSD from that experience as a child. I treasure my mom for standing up to him and divorcing his ass. That was in the early 1960s when it was very hard for women to do what she did.

Good for your Mom! Mine was married, had two kids, got divorced and remarried before I was born. She left her first husband with zero money, one broken arm, two kids, three broken ribs, apparently some other assorted injuries... And, according to a friend of the family, also left her old man the wrong side of half-dead on the floor before that last night was over, lol. Our family... we're kind of stubborn - and pain just tends to p!ss us off until we get all old and decrepit. Mom isn't, by any stretch of the imagination, a large woman. But I can picture her getting punched, and punching back; getting knocked down, and getting back up and climbing his tree; getting knocked down and stomped on, and grabbing his foot & tripping him - then whaling on him with a heavy door stop.

He was lucky he was the father of her kids, LMFAO. Her father fed 13 kids - much of it by hunting with a single-shot .22 rifle. He could drop a deer with one shot (because it was all he had and deer don't stand around while you reload even if you can afford to waste a round)... and he taught Mom to shoot ;) .

I'll never understand why some women stay with abusive men. I suppose there's a scientific reason for it, something that the politically "correct" bullsh!t states doesn't exist since it points to some fundamental difference between the sexes. But I just don't get it. <SCRATCHES HEAD> It's like all the people that end up killing themselves because of someone else. If someone bothers you so much that you feel the only viable solution is to kill someone, why not kill that other person, FFS? Who knows, maybe your life will get better - and if not, well, there'll still be plenty of opportunities to do the eternal runner before your trial date....

When it comes down to it, humans are violent creatures. All the apes are rather violent, actually. Chimps are the worst. They hunt in gangs and kill rivals and in some cases eat them. So warfare and murder and even cannibalism are not exclusive to humans. As for human relationships, they seem to have built in time bombs that go off after 4 years. That was how long I was with my last ex. Now all she does is harp on my faults and badger me, so I do not talk to her any more. Everything is and was my fault. She is perfect. I saw an interview with George Lucas some years ago, and he advised one thing after breaking up and/or divorce: no matter how much you want to go see your ex, or call her, don't do it. He is right.

Reading several studies about long term relationships, my last LTR of 4 years was average. The one before that was well above average (7 years). Average in that anthropologists did global research and took into account all cultures, races and religions of humans now and in the past, and calculated what the average span of a marriage or domestic partnership is and was for recorded history and even from evidence from pre-recorded history. The overall average sexual relationship is and was 4 years. Seems short, but that's it. After that women seem to go into pecking mode and/or men get the itch for other women. At four years, the first kid is usually 3 years old and that is supposedly old enough to survive. The second kid may or may not have survived. Genetically speaking, the reason for the short term relationships is for broader genetic diversity. Survival of the species through more relationships. Of course breaking up is not always the way to diversify the genetics, and hanky panky comes into play. Chimpanzees are good at that as well.

When it comes down to it, humans are violent creatures.

Eh... I'd question that. I'm not violent. I have occasionally done violent things, lol, but after I grew up, it's been in defense of others, myself, and/or my property. And even that is... much more controlled and considered these days. Like the time several years ago when I caught some thief crawling into my basement window. I'm sure I could have ran up to the living room and grabbed the nearest firearm. But I figured a home run swing to both his shoulder/clavicle areas would be more than enough. And it was - I never saw the guy again after I dragged him back out of the window and out to the road, LMFAO.

Maybe this is a more accurate statement: Juvenile-minded halfwit examples of Homo sapiens can be violent. Some of us grow up a little. Err... eventually.

All the apes are rather violent, actually. Chimps are the worst.

I know some of them hurl their feces. And I didn't need to know a single other thing to realize I didn't wish to be their neighbors.

They hunt in gangs and kill rivals and in some cases eat them

Arguably (actually, it's not even arguable), this is a much better use for a dead thing than pumping it full of formeldehyde, sewing its eyes and mouth shut, stuffing cotton up its arse, sticking it into $600 worth of a box (that cost $10,000), and burying that.

So warfare and murder and even cannibalism are not exclusive to humans.

As far as I have been able to determine, only the apparent love of destroying one's environment and watching so-called "Reality TV" are traits exclusive to humans. Almost everything else, in one form or another, to one degree or other... can be observed in one or more other species - even self-delusion and addiction.

As for human relationships, they seem to have built in time bombs that go off after 4 years.

I'm going to have to consider that to be a pile of steaming horse sh!t. There's no "built-in time bomb" involved Take away television, the Internet, and all the fucktards in the Asshole of the Universe (Hollywood) and other places that delight in portraying the most extreme, disgusting sh!t - and then putting more effort than it'd take to set up a self-supporting colony on one of the outer planets' moons into turning that crap into mainstream behavior... and the average goes up markedly. Treat a relationship as something precious, something that is to be treasured and nourished instead of, you know... "Well, I'm out of money and I'm starting to sober up - and I can't get hard no matter how many strippers bounce on my lap, so I guess I might as well go home to the old lady..." and "That son of a b!tch p!ssed me off, f*ck him, I'll just go and get with someone else - just like Momma did 17 times..." and the average goes up markedly.

Pop wasn't perfect - and never claimed to be. Same with Mom. And they had their... disagreements, lol. But he didn't get mad and go close down the bars like a 15-year old, and she didn't give up at the first sign of trouble and run home to her Mom. Why? Because they both figured their relationship was worth a little more effort than you'd spend hooking up with that one-night stand you drunkenly knocked boots with one night because you were bored.

Not perfect. But they were married, IDK, 42 years or thereabouts. Would probably be married today if Dad hadn't died. In fact, I figure his love for Mom is why he lasted so long, there at the end. My brother and I got called to the hospital, Mom was there, Dad was in the bed. His cancer doctor was there, talking about how the only meds that might even have a chance to touch his pain (one of the cancers was bone cancer) would further depress his lung function (lung cancer, too) to the extent that he might not see morning - but, if he could hold out against the pain, he might make it another week. And then he said something (I can't say I was fully tracking at that point in time) about putting his affairs in order and saying goodbye to his loved ones, then he left the room. And Pop, well... he joked(?) about how it didn't look like he'd get the house paid off after all, and was sure glad they'd always paid for that insurance where it gets paid off if the head of household dies. Looked at his two (surviving) sons and told us that he was glad that he got the chance to see us grow up, I think he expressed regret that he wouldn't get to see us much more but that he figured we'd probably make it. Said something about all the beautiful country he'd gotten to see, the hunting he'd done (not for sport - we ate it), the fishing - he'd even gotten to go to Canada on a fishing trip once - and all that. Reckoned he might have managed to help a few people along the way. And the pain... IDK how it wouldn't have been something to look forward to leaving behind at that point.

Then he looked at Mom - and started crying. Said he didn't want to leave her. And he didn't. Even managed to go home, for a bit. Now he was pretty frail at that point, couldn't breathe worth a sh!t... Mom was the only one working - and she was already 60, 61 or so. "Unskilled labor" for an old woman around here means working as a cleaning woman, doing a different house every day, hitting each one like it's Spring cleaning at your own house, doing everything you can to do a good job because you're old and slow and really, really need the work. And a doctor butchered her bladder years ago, so she's got like a 1/2-ounce bladder capacity. Imagine just how many times in one day you'd have to go pee. So... yeah. Mom didn't stop for a lunch break. Didn't take any break unless you count running to the bathroom. She doesn't drink anything until she's all done and home for the day, or eat either. And she was running back and forth taking care of Dad, working, et cetera. It was... wearing on her. So Dad started getting up, making his way to the kitchen, and making her a pot of tea or coffee, that she'd be able to have a cup when she first got home. One day she found him in the kitchen floor, after he'd fallen and was unable to get up or crawl back to bed. So... back to the hospital.

And there he stayed, fighting to live - for almost two more years. Because he didn't want to leave his wife by herself, because every day... he just wanted to be able to see her for one... more... day. Somewhere along the line, there was some talk of moving him to "hospice," I guess that means a place to die? I heard his doctor yelling at some hospital (insurance? IDFK) bean counter about that. (By that time, you could usually walk into Pop's room and - if he didn't already have a family member or good friend visiting - pretty much expect to see his doctor sitting beside the bed, just hanging out, lol. I guess... IDK, I guess maybe the doctor couldn't figure out HtH Pop was still alive considering that multiple cancers were all through his body and he'd never experienced that level of... willpower before.)

That wasn't lust, or chemicals. That was love, brother. Instead of going out and running around, splitting at the merest hint of a problem, or eagerly watching television to see what new obscenity they could parrot... they just got on with life - together.

I saw an interview with George Lucas some years ago, and he advised one thing after breaking up and/or divorce: no matter how much you want to go see your ex, or call her, don't do it.

Why in seventeen hells would anyone with even ONE functioning brain cell even want to, FFS? That's like insisting on petting a dog that, well, just wants to eat your hand, lol. The first time it takes a finger, that might not be your fault. But the second time... it's not only your fault, you more than likely deserve to lose that second finger :rolleyes3 .

I was married for a short time (barely over nine years). <SHRUGS> It didn't work out. We divorced about 15 years ago. I think I saw her a couple times - in traffic. I didn't even beep. There's fighting to keep a relationship strong, or to heal one that is... ill - and then there's beating a dead horse long after that horse has decomposed. Aint no future in the latter.

my last LTR of 4 years was average.

That's not a long-term relationship, lol, that's like... an extended sleepover ;) .

Average in that anthropologists did global research and took into account all cultures, races and religions of humans now and in the past, and calculated what the average span of a marriage or domestic partnership is and was for recorded history and even from evidence from pre-recorded history.

That seems rather low. At least if "external influences" like death, getting one's spouse taken in a raid, etc. are discounted.

The overall average sexual relationship is and was 4 years.

Ah, well... If a person uses his pecker to do his relationship thinking... there's yer problem, lol.

I know a guy that got divorced because he was only getting his hook wet a couple times per year (his (now ex-)wife has advanced muscular dystrophy). He did cheat on his wife - and after only 22 years of marriage, too[/SARCASM]. I... guess I'd consider that one to be "special circumstances," though.

After that women seem to go into pecking mode and/or men get the itch for other women.

<COUGH>Cop-out<COUGH>

Survival of the species through more relationships.

Yeah, that strategy sure seems to be advancing the human race. (That's sarcasm again ;) .)

Well, I consider your reply a big steaming pile of shit myself. So I will add you to my ignore list and move on with life. No point in arguing with you about this here.

Thank you TS! Great read! Very moving.
Peace and good living

Aw... Like many of my posts, that one was just my opinion. I think I heard once that opinions were like @ssholes - everyone has one, and most of them stink if you investigate them too closely :rofl: . And I probably got a little carried away, because Mom just lost another sibling - and, for decades, she had Dad to help her through tragedies (or at least deal with them with her, side by side). So I thought of them when I read the post I replied to. Nothing "special" about them (to those who don't/didn't know them, I mean), just two regular people.

OtOH, my brother is an even bigger @sshole than I am, and he's been with his partner for around 25 or 30 years (IIRC). They're not even married; he asked her a couple times early in the relationship, but she was recently out of a bad marriage and told him both times that she'd never marry again. I guess her ex- appeared to be a decent sort before they got hitched (and... she has some issues). To the best of my knowledge, neither has ever cheated on the other. And the closest they ever came to splitting up, lol, was about 16 or 17 years ago. I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and noticed a car in the driveway. Grabbed a pair of pants and went out to discover it was my brother's car and he was asleep in it :rolleyes3 . They got into an argument and she told him to leave, so he did - but then realized there was nowhere else he wanted to be, I suppose, so he drove around a while and ended up in the driveway. I just went back to bed, but got up early the next morning intending to wake him up and send him inside for breakfast when she called, wondering if I had any idea where he'd gotten to. Uh... yeah, as a matter of fact ;) . She asked me to tell him that he was still an @sshole, but that he should come home. I woke him up, delivered the message, and he did.

Sometimes things don't work out no matter how hard you try. Whether it's because a couple should never have become a couple in the first place, because they just ended up growing in different directions, or whatever. But if you don't give it 100%, what else can you expect?

Anyway, if you got something from my post (even if it was only a chuckle) then I'm glad I spent a few minutes typing it in.

Wow. This thread used to be about landrace weeds and I have not seen a decent pic lately.

Here is a Dr. Grinspoon I have. No landrace but good genetics nonetheless. I think I have 2 phenotypes.

Last year the one Dr. I had was lost to bud mold. I can't remember when I lost her last year but it was late October at least. I lost all my notes...

This year I have several smaller ones in pots so I can move them around. The big one in the ground is too big to get in one camera shot! More than 7 foot tall. I told myself I would not grow them so big this year! She has just begun to shoot her pistils.

KIMG1531.jpg
KIMG1530.jpg
KIMG1532.jpg
KIMG1529.jpg

That must be a DrG from a few years ago? PotChimp ran a couple from that batch and they were both tall and fluffy. The ones I ran - bought 'em a couple years ago - were much stockier, much easier to grow.

I'll be eager to see how yours bud out. And I'm sure the smoke is the same. Mine were fabulous - I could detect each of the genetic lines in the buzz. Very good smoke. :love:

Y'all get actual buds with that one or just strings of swollen calyxes (sometimes a few here and there, sometimes actual groups of them)?

I've yet to actually see a beads-on-a-stick pheno. This last batch was like a typical hybrid - wonderful to grow.

Here's how it finished:

DSCN72601.JPG

That must be a DrG from a few years ago?

I think I bought this seeds a few years ago yes. I have hoarded it because I cannot find it for sale anywhere. Herbies cannot take credit cards anymore so I guess I am out of options.

I had the "fluffy" one I think you are talking about. It was great. This pheno gives nice tight buds and has a whole different structure. The fluffy one was an incredible high and I would love to have it back. Best weed I have ever smoked.

Maybe the little thin leafed one here will be it. I have not grown it out yet. It's small. Took 3 months to get a couple feet tall.

:love::love::love::love::love:

I'd really like to get the "string of pearls" pheno. Both mine looked a lot like lazyfish's. Still 3 more beans to try. What is the significance of buying them a couple years ago?

I think Barneys actually refers to it as a landrace. What is it's actual lineage? I've done a few sativas from ACE and loved them. I find the pure sativas, although maybe not landrace, are a step change from the hybrid world. Does the same hold true for the indicas? or is today's Afghan pretty much the what you get?

Love the thread...

It will be interesting to see when gene mapping really hits the cannabis world. It was a small world even in the 70s and I suspect a lot of hybridization was inadvertently performed. Just think what a single Thai male seed dropped in the open ground in South America would do to the gene pool. You'd have to go back before man to really experience regional plant evolution. It would be pretty cool though if somebody saved some seeds from a bag of Columbus' stash!

I read an article describing just how genetically similar strains of cannabis are. A reasonable difference between hemp and drug cannabis, but even the indica/sativa genetic makeup were quite similar.

Well, I consider your reply a big steaming pile of shit myself.

I wouldn't be surprised if others feel the same way. And that's a good thing, I suppose. wouldn't it suck if every other person on the planet thought exactly the same thoughts and felt exactly the same feelings that we think/feel? I cannot imagine a reality that would be more tedious.

For clarification, I was thinking that the specific part that I quoted and then used words of that nature when replying to... was part of the studies/etc. you'd read about relationships and not your personal opinion. Had I realized my error, I would have probably used words that were more, IDK, that politically correct bullsh!t people are encouraged to use these days when they don't know whether the person on the other end will calmly accept their opinion as simply that - or get all upset about it, lol.

So I will add you to my ignore list and move on with life.

That's fine. I won't even take advantage of it by making interesting replies to your posts, knowing that you'll never see them ;) .

It's a bit disappointing, though, because I like a good debate (and, therefore, a good debating partner). But it's no big deal one way or the other. With 150K+ members, we'll each still have plenty of people to interact with here. Have a good life, and may it be filled with great buds!

I'd really like to get the "string of pearls" pheno. Both mine looked a lot like lazyfish's. Still 3 more beans to try.

I'd like to get the pheno that actually has a little bulk. The "calyxes" pheno is (IMHO) more a curiosity than anything else, because it takes "sativas yield less" to a whole new level, lol.

I think Barneys actually refers to it as a landrace. What is it's actual lineage?

They don't seem to be very forthcoming on that information.

IIRC, a few years ago there was someone who was growing... I'm thinking it was some kind of landrace, but can't say for sure because I didn't really try to stick it into the ol' permanent memory. And it wasn't this forum, it was a thread at another that I found via a web search about the Dr. Grinspoon strain. Anyway, if this particular individual's plants weren't the same strain as what Barney's Farm sells, then they could have been identical twin sisters. If you're interested, you could probably spend a few minutes with your favorite search engine and end up finding the same thread(s).

I've done a few sativas from ACE and loved them.

I've seen similar good mentions of that breeder often enough that they're on my list of breeders to try eventually.

Does the same hold true for the indicas? or is today's Afghan pretty much the what you get?

The only landrace Indica seeds I've ever grown struck me as being just about perfect - if you were growing them with the intent of making hash. But IDK if they were even technically landrace seeds. They were just given to me by someone who worked for Uncle Sam back when we were sending... material to those who were fighting the Soviets. Which was kind of ironic, methinks, since much of that material ended up being used against us years later.

I suspect that several of the older, longer-established breeders have landrace indicas that they've used for years to add bulk and shorten flowering times of the "sativas" that they've sold.

It was a small world even in the 70s and I suspect a lot of hybridization was inadvertently performed. Just think what a single Thai male seed dropped in the open ground in South America would do to the gene pool.

Mexican cannabis is like that, I think. Seems like I've read that there was a point in time when some of the cartel growers started buying "seedbank strains" because that was the cannabis that was popular at the time. And look at the group of members who decided to meet up in Jamaica earlier this year - among other things, they brought back seeds from an AK47 x Durban Poison cross. Not exactly what springs to mind when one thinks of a classic Jamaican landrace, lol/sigh.

I read an article describing just how genetically similar strains of cannabis are. A reasonable difference between hemp and drug cannabis, but even the indica/sativa genetic makeup were quite similar.

Well, that makes sense, really. Look at how much genetic material we have in common with other primates - or, for that matter, even squirrels, slugs, et cetera. And it only takes a few errors to produce a "sport," as the parents of children who have certain unfortunate genetic issues know all too well.

Dr. Grinspoon is the Oregon Purple Thai crossed with Panama Red. Oregon Purple is Highland Oxacan (gold?) crossed with Chocolate Thai. - according to seedfinder.

And you can feel each of them in the high - the bright buzz from the Thai, the grinny munchie stone of the Mexican, and the sensuality of the Panama - sweet smoke.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom