Leaves dying: Help!

It really is counter productive to take those leaves off. First, it just moves the problem to new leaves and second, we cant see where on the plant this damage is occurring. Looking at the size of the leaves, I am guessing they are from up near the top... but that is only a guess. My guess at this point based on your pictorial clue is that you are dealing with a calcium deficiency along with a maco nutrient problem which could be explained by you stopping the nutes.
I would advise even without any additional clues that you continue now to give nutes at the recommended levels, add calmag at its maximum recommended level, and continue to water properly, establishing a wet/dry cycle. It takes time, but most of your plant is looking pretty good. It is my belief that you almost have this fixed.

Well the damage is spreed pretty evenly across the plant with leaves from the bottom and the top showing the same problems. What leaves you to believe it is a calcium deficiency? Also I heard "wind burn" may be a possible cause.

i did see some wind damage too, but didnt comment on it. The bigger problems need to be addressed first, wind damage is not a crisis. The little black dead spots on the leaves... classic calcium deficiency presentation. The weird purplish leaf damage, classic potassium deficiency. It is very possible, and without nutes, likely that you have multiple things going wrong here.

i did see some wind damage too, but didnt comment on it. The bigger problems need to be addressed first, wind damage is not a crisis. The little black dead spots on the leaves... classic calcium deficiency presentation. The weird purplish leaf damage, classic potassium deficiency. It is very possible, and without nutes, likely that you have multiple things going wrong here.

Calcium is already present in the nutrients we are give our plant already. We took a break from nutes for around 2 weeks, but then when we transplanted into our bigger pot we gave it a half dose of recommended nutrients. This problem has persisted since the plant has started growing, could it be a genetic problem?

Calcium is already present in the nutrients we are give our plant already. We took a break from nutes for around 2 weeks, but then when we transplanted into our bigger pot we gave it a half dose of recommended nutrients. This problem has persisted since the plant has started growing, could it be a genetic problem?
could be, but the odds against that compared to it being what I have suggested are very high. Remember please, that you have not been giving nutes recently and you had only been giving half nutes for some odd reason... nutes that only have a small amount of calcium in them. Also, from the time you started growing this plant you were also making some newbie watering mistakes, keeping those nutrients from being very effective with you plants and causing damage to the roots... yet you wish to now blame genetics.
You will not learn without forming your own theories and acting on them. If you think this grow has been pooched because of genetics and need to start over, do so. My theory is that if you don't change the practices that got you into this situation, your next grow will end up in a similar state. At that point, you will maybe realize it wasn't genetics at all.
Good luck... give me a call if you want more from me... but maybe the others can convince you before you give up on this.
:love::peace:

We just came back from vacation and our plant has a new type of issue. Odd yellowing of the leaves, some crispiness,
and some brown spots are forming. Is it the same issue we've had in the past? Is the problem presenting itself differently? We are supplying Cal-Mag supplements to the plant because we were told that it was a Calcium deficiency. We water once every 5 days. Could our problem be caused by our watering schedule or quantity of nutrients?

It does indeed look like the very common dual deficiency of calcium and magnesium. I can tell from the leaves that you removed that green was trying to come back into the middle of the leaves, and that your calmag application was being effective. Many of those leaves that you removed were going to hold on and at least recover partially. Keep doing what you are doing with the calmag... it is helping, or your plant would look a lot worse than it does now. Good job! Other than that, your plant looks healthy... I see good lift to the leaves and a good overall color. A 5 day watering cycle does not sound out of line at all and I can't believe that has anything to do with the problem.

Ok thanks for the reassurance, i just had one more follow up. We are currently giving the plant its full course of nutes every second watering or about every 10ish days, is that optimal of should we try a different approach?

Also thanks for all the help Emilya you've been extremely helpful in all of this.

Ok thanks for the reassurance, i just had one more follow up. We are currently giving the plant its full course of nutes every second watering or about every 10ish days, is that optimal of should we try a different approach?
That sounds optimal to me. When you water with nutes, a percentage of them are not used by the plant in the first pass. If you water the next time with the properly pH adjusted water, this makes the leftover nutes mobile again and off into the plant they go. It is a beautiful system, and you are pretty much doing it the way it needs to be done.
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom