Leaves in middle going yellow, tops now light green....

MaryJWanna

Hey,
First timer need some help :)
I'm in my second week flowering. The problem started with yellowing leaves in the middle of the plant. As I have vegged for 3 months plus i figured some was normal but now much more turning yellow as well as the tops are turning bright green. I added more nutes as I figured she was deficient in something as she is using more in this new stage. I have also been applying diluted mixture to foliage. This has not worked (getting lighter green) so tonight before lights out I flushed her thinking it was a nutrient lock out (as I tend to give less nutes to be safe so i'm pretty sure its not over fert.) Noticed while flushing the runoff water was warm (went in room temperature). Is the issue I'm having due to the black container absorbing heat and heating up roots too much? Or do I have another issue?

Trainwreck Strain (%90 Sativa, %10 Indica)
4x4x6 Grow tent.
Soil-less (not hydro its a mixture of perlite, vermi. and peat) in 10 Gallon container
using H.O.G. Nutes. (1 part Grow, 2 part micro nutrients, 3.5 Bloom)
600 Watt Solis Tek HPS Positioned approx. 17 inches from tops
PH is from 6.2-6.5 (water in and drain off water)
20" fan for circulation
4" inline fan to scrubber.

20140204-190953.629277

20140204_190953.jpg

Spotting on older leaves was a calcium def. that has been fixed.
Thank you so much for your help. She means a lot to me :circle-of-love:
:Namaste:

I just finished my first grow. So I am by no means someone u should listen to. But here is what I think I have learned in that time: Water less, if u got 10 gal pots, I'm guessing they will hold moisture forever. I had 3 gal. And know now that I should only water every 3 days. Good luck friend. Hope that helps.

I just finished my first grow. So I am by no means someone u should listen to. But here is what I think I have learned in that time: Water less, if u got 10 gal pots, I'm guessing they will hold moisture forever. I had 3 gal. And know now that I should only water every 3 days. Good luck friend. Hope that helps.
Hey thanks for the info. Pretty sure its not over watering as she is not droopy. Plus the medium she grows in has good drainage and I usually have to water every other day. As it is dry according to my moisture meter and look and feel of my 'dirt'.
Congrats on the successful first grow. Hope I'm joining ya soon on that one. :)

My blooming Trainwreck is a similar color, but she's about 5 weeks into flowering now.

The target pH for soiless mixes is 5.8. I'm not saying that's the issue (or that there is an issue), but it could be something to think about.

Here is a chart of pH ranges at which nutrients are absorbed.

Nutrient_Availability_chart1.JPG

Thank you I have looked at the the chart. I am not growing hydro though. Soil less is still considered dirt without the dirt
Pretty sure but could be wrong. I have flushed her and will give her a few more nutes today and have been foliar feeding during this time. She looks better but keeping close eye. :)

My understanding of this is that my set up is not True Hydroponics (circulating solutions, aeroponics, static solutions). Technically what I am using is called an Aggregate System with natural media (perlite, vermiculite) and organic media (Peat).
All three systems ( hydo, aggregate and soil) add nutrients to the grow. (some more than others)
I have kept her around 6.1-6.5 without any major issues. So if she is considered hydroponic grow shouldn't she be having issues with not having her pH at 5.5-6.1? See my confusion? lol:hippy:

Hydroponics basically just means that your plants are getting no nutrients from their medium, but instead get everything they need from what you feed them through watering.

Soilless media use the same target pH as other hydroponic techniques. ;)

Hey Dresney,
So I talked to the guy i bought my soil-less mix and nutes from (he has been growing over 30 years so i took his word about what my pH should be at (same as soil is what he initially told me)) and this time he said what you said. Same as hydro. so I'm going to try and change her and her girls and see how it goes. She just started week 3 and is way more yellow than the last time i posted pics and is running out of fan leaves to live of of. I gave her some nutes this am at a lower pH and I guess we will see.I just hope I don't burn her. Lesson learned. Thank you for your advice. :)

Any time :)

I'm glad you researched it with your guru. Not all advice is the best, even when it comes the heart.

I was confused about the soil vs. soilless thing when I first started, too.

Even though my medium is just worm poo, perlite and vermiculite I follow 'soil' pH. I guess worm poo has some pooped-out soil in it. :laughtwo:

Hope she gets some color back in her with this adjustment!

hey AmpleGrower,
Yes that issue happened before. I was using distilled water and didn't realize i needed to add calcium/mag. Got that under control now. Now i'm just dealing with alleged Nitrogen and/or pH issue turning her lighter green too early.

Hi KingJohnC
Thanks for the charts and link. I have recently switched her pH (lowered it) and she doesn't like that either. She is showing marks of pH Fluctuation on her leaves and still yellowing and leaves dying. I'm going to flush again tomorrow and try again. I've also studied the leaf chart and her yellowing is either N or Sulpher deficiency? Or that she is locking out nutes because of the higher pH she had? Or it could be calcium/mag and because of pH she is not getting it even though I supplemented extra into her feedings.:hmmmm:
It could also be from too much temperature fluctuation as it is very cold here and when her light is off at night it cools off a bit but didn't think more that 7-10 degrees (celcius). (I will get a temp gauge soon). But I don't know. I search everyday to find some answers. I'm kinda feeling defeated. :icon_roll:

Back
Top Bottom