LED Grow Light Review

this is a message for johnnyhempseed. i wanted to ask you a few questions about led's but i am not able to pm you. any other way i can contact you?

ok I am going to buy the

Hydro Grow 126W Penetrator

to replace my

htg supply 120 watt

If I had a DWC setup, and a grow parameter of 29" wide, 20" deep by 2.5 to 3 foot high What Degree Lenses You think I should Get?

Also I would do 2 plants first but what would you sugest?

Also how high should I veg them and should I trim the top more than once?

Or you could run them together (depending on what you were going to do with the HTG supply light). I'd use the 120 degree LED's as side-lighting though, to bring heavier budding to the sides of your plants.

As far as your setup goes, a 126W will cover it just fine. I would recommend the 60 degree lens, as it has enough lateral spread to reach leaves the the 30 degree would be blocked from. On shorter plants, this is especially true, as 30 degree lenses need more distance to spread out laterally. The 30 degree units are more for people growing the 4-5' tall monsters. 2 plants within your small area, should do rather well. Just make sure they are sized appropriately so you make the best use out of all of your available light ;)

I personally veg my plants until they hit 18". I tend to top them about 3x prior to them entering bloom, to get a nice thick bush. The plants generally don't reach anything over 2.5' in bloom. This is the same method my friend used to produce a pound on one of her Strawberry Cough plants. Otherwise, you could try a Screen (Scrog) method with the two plants, as it's probably the most efficient way of growing with LED.

^^ You can send a visitor message which will notify him directly.

You can PM when you reach 25 posts ;)

I didn't see that member registered - maybe you spelled it differently

I have been pretty impressed with what I have seen so far. As a former engineer, I also understand and agree with your notion of spacing the LEDs further apart and then reducing the angle at which they fire their light downward.

I am currently running a dr60 grow tent (60cm x 60cm or 4 square feet total) with 500w of cfls (2x250 red envirloites for flowering). I grow in soil and my last yield with this setup was around 190g from 4 plants vegged for 5 weeks each that finished at a total height of around 90cm per plant.

Assuming all these conditions remain the same (i.e. area, tent, humidity, temp, pH, nutrients, etc.), which model would you recommend to achieve a similar or better yield in the exact same tent with clones of the exact same plant?

190G = approximately 7 ounces. Your space is 2' x 2', and you've been running 500W CFL. Due to your space limitations, there aren't a whole lot of options for LED in your grow tent. I guess it really depends on how you use the lights and your tent. If it were me, I would get 5, 63W lights, put one on each side, and one up top. Is it comparable? No...it will give you way higher yields, but that's what I would do. If you're looking to yield close to a half pound, I would go with the 126W, or 2, 63W units.

Also, I am confused as to why people say things like "covers 4 square feet when positioned 12 inches above the canopy". Surely the height of the plants is a critical variable here! How can square footage be quoted when no data is given on the total height of the plants? Even my school trigonometry seems to indicate that height is important here. Maybe I am just missing something here!

I rate my lights at 12" above the plants. The coverage area I list, is canopy coverage. So if a 126W is 12" above the plants, it will provide light to a 2' x 3' canopy. If the plants are 2' tall, the light obviously has a larger footprint than 2' x 3', but the footprint up top at the canopy is still the same. So that's how I rate my lights, and I hope it helps to answer your question. ;)

p.s the old 120 watter is getting donated to veg room. All I will use your 126 watt light for is flowering and I have some just about ready.

If your LED pannel is sick though Ill buy more for sure... I will change my avatar to your 126 pannel! lol

p.s the old 120 watter is getting donated to veg room. All I will use your 126 watt light for is flowering and I have some just about ready.

If your LED pannel is sick though Ill buy more for sure... I will change my avatar to your 126 pannel! lol

Well, I've had three customers recently, who purchased lights about 2 months ago for testing, and now that they're finished they've purchased more lights. Other people are having the same or similar results to what I'm posting, so I'm sure you'll be able to do the same. Will you post your progress on the forums for other users to be able to learn from your grow? :rollit:

Well I thought you may ask this question, because I thought of how great a candidate I would be for it. However I am a little sketchy bout posting stuff like that. So for now I’m not sure on the pics.

however I will donate free un biased opinion of a 120 watt led system vs. your 126 watt system.

Trust me I am a fan of LED…if your LED lights are better pound for pound like I’m about to compare and see, I will gladly Ring the Hydro Grow LED Bell Loud and clear!

On the other hand if I have the same results as my 120 Watt wide lens unit I may call bukakee on you hahahal!!
Trust me I’m not worried about that though, Your answers are excellent and to see you take time and jam out 3-7 paragraphs for everyone’s questions is a true sign of enthusiast about your product! IM IN!!

OR

I could just throw a divider in the cabinet and use 1 for each plant. Then we could really see what’s up.

Lastly, I am not concerned with comparing cost of light unit per bud with other types of lamps, The advantages of led is huge over a regular bulb, period

Well I thought you may ask this question, because I thought of how great a candidate I would be for it. However I am a little sketchy bout posting stuff like that. So for now I'm not sure on the pics.

On the other hand if I have the same results as my 120 Watt wide lens unit I may call bukakee on you hahahal!!
Trust me I'm not worried about that though, Your answers are excellent and to see you take time and jam out 3-7 paragraphs for everyone's questions is a true sign of enthusiast about your product! IM IN!!

There are a lot of curious growers out there who are wary of trusting grows presented by manufacturers. They like to think that we skew our results to try and make our product look better than it is. We already have 3 online grows going from different customers, but the more the merrier. Skeptics tend to believe the 3rd party growers, more-so than the manufacturer. Once enough 3rd-parties have proven what the manufacturer stated, then everyone starts to believe the MFR anyways. So I mainly ask for all of those people out there who really want to see what our lights can do, but really don't want to see me do it lol. If you're not comfortable though, no big deal ;)

If you are interested in doing your own grow test for your own curiosity, I would love to hear the results. I'm always interested to see how we perform against lights from different competitors. That's probably why I've sponsored about 4 other MFR grow tests already... I'm so confident in what our lights do, that I want to prove they're better than everyone else by beating everyone else :roorrip:

Got it, and your light will ship out some time next week. I'll let you now the tracking number when I get it, and I'm sure everyone here will be excited to hear how you do with the unit once it's received. Can't wait for you to experience the power behind these units!

As a former engineer, I also understand and agree with your notion of spacing the LEDs further apart and then reducing the angle at which they fire their light downward.

So I have a few pictures to show you. I get asked quite often why I don't put 119W on my 63W board, since it can hold that many. Some have wondered why we use the larger board with 126W. Here is the reason, more or less in images for why I decided that the 120W design wasn't cost-effective. You'll see our 119W Beta light (same as the 63W casing) using 60 degree LED's compared to our 126W Production light which also uses 60 degree LED's. Notice the size difference between the two intense areas under each light. With only 7W more, we achieved roughly double the coverage area and kept our intensity high. If we used the smaller boards, it would cost you twice as much to cover the same area ;) I kept the consumer in mind as I'll never stop being one myself. These pictures also show the general shape of the light that these rectangular units create, which by the way is round like a UFO.

Comparison4.jpg

Comparison5.jpg

190G = approximately 7 ounces. Your space is 2' x 2', and you've been running 500W CFL. Due to your space limitations, there aren't a whole lot of options for LED in your grow tent. I guess it really depends on how you use the lights and your tent. If it were me, I would get 5, 63W lights, put one on each side, and one up top. Is it comparable? No...it will give you way higher yields, but that's what I would do. If you're looking to yield close to a half pound, I would go with the 126W, or 2, 63W units.
;)

Hi,

Thanks for the fast response. So you're basically saying that a single 126w light above the 4 plants should yield about the same as my current setup? If that is genuinely the case, I would be very excited. All I need now is some proof from a grow diary. Let me know when this happens, as I have scoured all the online forums and have yet to see anything conclusive.

I am not being critical, I am just natually skeptical! But I am more than willing to be convinced.

Hi,

Thanks for the fast response. So you're basically saying that a single 126w light above the 4 plants should yield about the same as my current setup? If that is genuinely the case, I would be very excited. All I need now is some proof from a grow diary. Let me know when this happens, as I have scoured all the online forums and have yet to see anything conclusive.

I am not being critical, I am just natually skeptical! But I am more than willing to be convinced.

Not sure if you saw my other post "Highly Impressive LED Bloom" or not, but I show via pictures how my friend yielded just over a pound from 1 plant, under 2 of the 126W lights. So if you divide her plant in half, that's 8 oz's per 126W unit.

Just out of curiosity, why does the light throw a round pattern when it's coming through a rectangular lens?

Because the LED's emit light in a round shape ;) The rectangular casing blocks very little light from the outside LED's, and the light engines in our units are also round. So even though the light is square, it makes an ovalish circle area.

Because the LED's emit light in a round shape ;) The rectangular casing blocks very little light from the outside LED's, and the light engines in our units are also round. So even though the light is square, it makes an ovalish circle area.

gotcha ;)

I thought the rectangle might have some effect on beam shape, but it's apparently just an optical illusion:)

thanks for explaining

I'm using a 90 watt led 630nm red 455nm blue on four plants and they are in their veg stage and looking very strong and healthy. Very green. So I can vouch for that. We'll see how flowering goes. I hear wavelength is very important. You want 660nm red for flowering. I wanted to ask the question to everyone about orange light. What stage of growth is orange light for and is it really needed in plant growth or just a sales pitch?

Back
Top Bottom