LED Grow Light Review

Re: bigtires001 Start LED Grow Light Journal

This has been a debate on this site for some time. By all means if u have had great success and know what ur doing with LEDs PLEASE start a journal >Journals in Progress - 420 Magazine. If u can back up ur claim that ur light can do what Tortured Soul can do with a 400W we need to see this. U will probably have one of the more popular journals for having mastered somethin no one else here seems to have done. LEDs don;t seem to finish well for NE 1 else. Please share bigtires001, now I'm intrigued. HydrogrowLED if u have something to share please do. U can start a journal too. I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm serious.

I have a grow journal started already using my 126W to bloom out 4 plants. Day 1 started yesterday, so that everyone here can watch the entire process. I've completed other grows now with LED, and have another currently finishing up, so I have plenty of pictures that I can also share via a second journal, both with a friend's garden and my own. I should be able to take a weight from the plant my friend chopped a week and a half early as well, which should come out somewhere between 6-8 oz's. Anyhow, we're already pulling a HP per plant via some of our plants under LED. Not sure what TorturedSoul does with a 400W, but I'm sure he could produce comparable results using our 126W.

I like the 30 degree LED idea. Can you put a 30 degree LED really close to the plant without damaging it?

You can place it within 6" of your plants without causing any intensity burn. 30 degrees emits a very bright, but also very narrow beam. Using a 30 degree unit, you will have less coverage area, but an even higher level of penetration. Depending on the height of your plants though, I find that the 60 degree works best, as it has enough lateral spread to hit the mid and bottom leaves of a plant, since leaves directly underneath the light block it from traveling onward.

I just realized this thread started out as someone asking why 420 Magazine wasn't doing their own review of LED grow lights. I've spoken to the editor via email, and it is likely that in the near future, 420 Magazine will be hosting a grow using our Penetrator series grow lights. We will make all tests units available to them free of charge as soon as they decide what they are going to do for a test.

Good stuff. I c ur serious about ur business and u stand by ur product. That's commendable. Now come with a killer harvest and U'll be battin a thousand IMO.

I gave Ed Rosenthal 954W (3 x 318W units) to test against a 1000W HPS (his request) to prove the efficacy of our lights.

I spent over 2 solid years developing our lights solely for my medical garden and fellow patients I know. It took several models, and hundreds of research/design hours to reach a design that was market-ready.

I've arranged for 3 separate competitor grow tests to be displayed online. In each test, we placed ourselves in the underdog position, to prove just how much more efficient our lights are, vs everyone else. We are doing our 126W light against the ProSource 180W Jumbo UFO. Our 63W Light against a 90W Sunlight Hydro (eBay) UFO, and a member on this forum is using 2, 63W lights against a 150W LED bar. I've since voiced a friendly challenge to fellow-sponsor Haight Solid State on this forum, where I would put my 126W panel against their 186W panel.

I'm not only confident in our lights, I'm out to prove to the world how we literally destroy all of the competition, as well as HID. My grow tests on this forum are just for fun, demonstrative purposes :;): Our customers (and Ed Rosenthal) are there to show you all the independent results to back up our claim of being the world's most advanced LED grow light manufacturer.

Coming in late to class once I caught the ass end of one of Ed's lectures about LED lighting. He was ranting about how they would be the future of indoor once the technology has been mastered (or something to that affect). I'm just waitin for the day where performance meets affordability. I'll be watching. Thanks for making urself available to answer questions.

Hey, I'm here to answer any questions that you all have. My whole goal is to educate the consumer as much as I can, so that they make an informed decision when switching to LED ;)

I gave Ed Rosenthal 954W (3 x 318W units) to test against a 1000W HPS (his request) to prove the efficacy of our lights.

I spent over 2 solid years developing our lights solely for my medical garden and fellow patients I know. It took several models, and hundreds of research/design hours to reach a design that was market-ready.

I've arranged for 3 separate competitor grow tests to be displayed online via various forums. In each test, we placed ourselves in the underdog position, to prove just how much more efficient our lights are, vs everyone else. We are doing our 126W light against the ProSource 180W Jumbo UFO. Our 63W Light against a 90W Sunlight Hydro (eBay) UFO, and a member on this forum is using 2, 63W lights against a 150W LED bar. I've since voiced a friendly challenge to fellow-sponsor Haight Solid State on this forum, where I would put my 126W panel against their 186W panel.

I'm not only confident in our lights, I'm out to prove to the world how we literally destroy all of the competition, as well as HID. My grow tests on this forum are just for fun, demonstrative purposes :;): Our customers (and Ed Rosenthal) are there to show you all the independent results to back up our claim of being the world's most advanced LED grow light manufacturer.

The 954w LED against the 1000W HPS does't seem right. With the LEDs shouldn't it be 1 318w, that is how they are advertised, 4 to 1 in output. You will be drawing almost the same amount of power, so the LED should win that hands down. But the cost of the lights would be way different. I would much rather see the 1 318w against the 1000w, that is how the LED manufactures advertise, it should back up there claim.:cheer:

The 954w LED against the 1000W HPS does't seem right. With the LEDs shouldn't it be 1 318w, that is how they are advertised, 4 to 1 in output. You will be drawing almost the same amount of power, so the LED should win that hands down. But the cost of the lights would be way different. I would much rather see the 1 318w against the 1000w, that is how the LED manufactures advertise, it should back up there claim.:cheer:

Ed wanted to do 1000W vs 1000W, as he thinks most claims are BS, and wants to rate the lights himself. It wasn't my choice to do the test this way, as I recommended 3, 126W lights vs the 1000W instead. Anyhow, when he is done and yields 3-4x more with LED, you still have your same result. So don't fixate on the light cost of the units involved in the test, just look at the results and see what they actually mean. If 1000W LED produces 4x more than 1000W HID, then 250W LED is more equivalent to the 1000W mark.

Ed wanted to do 1000W vs 1000W, as he thinks most claims are BS, and wants to rate the lights himself. It wasn't my choice to do the test this way, as I recommended 3, 126W lights vs the 1000W instead. Anyhow, when he is done and yields 3-4x more with LED, you still have your same result. So don't fixate on the light cost of the units involved in the test, just look at the results and see what they actually mean. If 1000W LED produces 4x more than 1000W HID, then 250W LED is more equivalent to the 1000W mark.

Thanks for the reason, I am very interested in LED's, I am going to build a metal or rubbermade closet like a supercloset. The LED's will stop all the heat problems and let me use less fans so it will run quieter and use less power. Plus it will give me more height since the plants can be much closer to the light.

LED's are the future for indoor grows, till the sulphur plasma become available.:cheer:

I was also wondering about LED's, is there a way to replace single bulbs, say a few burn out or if you want to change a few for flowering so you can maximize the light for vegetation and flowering?
I am a tech junkie so I enjoy new things.

Thanks for the reason, I am very interested in LED's, I am going to build a metal or rubbermade closet like a supercloset. The LED's will stop all the heat problems and let me use less fans so it will run quieter and use less power. Plus it will give me more height since the plants can be much closer to the light.

LED's are the future for indoor grows, till the sulphur plasma become available.:cheer:

I was also wondering about LED's, is there a way to replace single bulbs, say a few burn out or if you want to change a few for flowering so you can maximize the light for vegetation and flowering?
I am a tech junkie so I enjoy new things.

With LED's there is still a little bit of heat, but nowhere close to an HID. A 400W MH operates at 650 degrees F, and a 400W HPS operates at 450 degrees F. Our LED's operate at a maximum temperature of 105 degrees, which is just enough heat to keep most grow spaces at the sweet spot of 85 degrees (depending on the size and insulation of the grow area). They run super quiet, and can definitely be placed close to your plants.

As far as sulphur plasma, it's time would have been 15-20 years ago, to make HPS/MH obsolete. The reason it will never take over for horticultural lighting now, is because it is not a targeted light source, it is a full spectrum light source very comparable to the sun. Sulphur plasmas are a lot brighter per watt vs HID, but most of the light they create is still unusable by plants. LED's target the exact wavelengths that plants use to convert light energy into plant energy. With them you deliver almost 100% usable light for your plants, making sure that every watt is used efficiently. As time progresses, LED's will emit more and more lumens per watt, making them the grow light technology for probably the next 100+ years. LED's are chips, and like chips their efficacy will likely double every couple of years. Think of how far computers have come in the last 15 years... Now think of how far HPS came in the last 40... With LED's you get a technology that is constantly improving, and reaching new levels we've never thought possible before.

hi all,

Very interested in this, from reading this i may have jumped on the led band wagon a bit quickly, i purchased a 90W UFO FULL SPECTRUM TRIBAND HYDROPONIC LED GROW LIGHT.

amnybody using one of these at the moment, i have it conbined with a 250w hps covering 4 plants.

Hyrdo Grow LED, This is bigtires001. That was a bunk account I made just to see some info, wanted to make a perm one now that I like this blog!!

Anyhow, I like the tech behind your lights however I just don’t like the big cases.
So first off, why don’t you carry a UFO case style? To compete with the 90 Watt UFO?
Can I get you input on this scenario:

So your FRIEND needs a small led setup, the size of a 90 watt ufo. It’s for veg only- 2-4 clones + 1-2 mother. He can get one he knows works from a company he has bought form before for less than 200 90W UFO.

Now the price of yours is a little higher, also its in a larger case and has about 40% less Led diodes.. Sure the angles on the lenses will help but what about the raw total amount of light, it would have to be lower because of less led’s..

Could your 63w compete with a 90w ufo like this?

Let’s just assume your competitor has a well working spectrum.

Anyhow, I like the tech behind your lights however I just don’t like the big cases.

Without the bigger cases, there would be no way to achieve the coverage area we do with our lights, using 60 degree LED's.

So first off, why don’t you carry a UFO case style? To compete with the 90 Watt UFO?

The UFO design doesn't fit my light engines. I've tried designing multiple units around it, but it isn't very compatible. Even if I were to use a 90W UFO casing, it wouldn't contain 90W LED... Using 60 degree LED's, if I were to cram 90W into 11", it would be overkill. I don't feel I need to match my competitors units at all, as I re-designed everything about my units from the ground up. It's not some copy-cat, run-of-the-mill light you find on eBay or half of my competitor's pages.

So your FRIEND needs a small led setup, the size of a 90 watt ufo. It’s for veg only- 2-4 clones + 1-2 mother. He can get one he knows works from a company he has bought form before for less than 200 90W UFO.

Now the price of yours is a little higher, also its in a larger case and has about 40% less Led diodes.. Sure the angles on the lenses will help but what about the raw total amount of light, it would have to be lower because of less led’s..

Could your 63w compete with a 90w ufo like this?

Let’s just assume your competitor has a well working spectrum.

Well, first name a competitor with a spectrum that matches these 4 peaks: 439nm, 469nm, 642nm, and 667nm. I don't care if they use a 460nm LED, it's not a 470nm which makes a difference. To answer your question, YES our 63W light will outperform nearly all (if not all) of my competitor's 90W UFO's. You want to talk about Raw power? Penetration is key to robust flowering, on top of the correct spectral output. Without penetration, you won't bud out half of your plant, nor will you achieve anywhere near the size of buds you should. So my competitors use dimmer 120 degree LED's (same 1W power source, spread over more area = dimmer light over entire coverage area), which aim 30-40% of their light at your walls, and I don't. Are multiple dimmer lights going to compete with several that are piercing through your canopy? Take 10 wide beam flashlights and shine em at a wall. Now take 10 narrow beam flashlights. What has more energy? The 60 degree lens aims 100% of the light from our units at your canopy. There is no light wasted here.

1 customer has reported 30% better yields using our 63W penetrator vs his 150W HPS from Sunlight Supply. Another customer reported that our 63W unit is outperforming his 150W LED grow light. Proper design makes all the difference. Another customer grew a 1lbs plant under 2, 126W lights. 252W of LED for a pound...pretty crazy. More and more people testing our lights are reporting back to me daily of their excellent results with our units. So why risk $30-$50 on a less expensive unit that won't give you half our yield even if it is higher wattage?

ok I am going to buy the

Hydro Grow 126W Penetrator

to replace my

htg supply 120 watt

If I had a DWC setup, and a grow parameter of 29" wide, 20" deep by 2.5 to 3 foot high What Degree Lenses You think I should Get?

Also I would do 2 plants first but what would you sugest?

Also how high should I veg them and should I trim the top more than once?

To Hydro-Gro-Led,

I have been pretty impressed with what I have seen so far. As a former engineer, I also understand and agree with your notion of spacing the LEDs further apart and then reducing the angle at which they fire their light downward.

So on to my question...

I am currently running a dr60 grow tent (60cm x 60cm or 4 square feet total) with 500w of cfls (2x250 red envirloites for flowering). I grow in soil and my last yield with this setup was around 190g from 4 plants vegged for 5 weeks each that finished at a total height of around 90cm per plant.

Assuming all these conditions remain the same (i.e. area, tent, humidity, temp, pH, nutrients, etc.), which model would you recommend to achieve a similar or better yield in the exact same tent with clones of the exact same plant?

Also, I am confused as to why people say things like "covers 4 square feet when positioned 12 inches above the canopy". Surely the height of the plants is a critical variable here! How can square footage be quoted when no data is given on the total height of the plants? Even my school trigonometry seems to indicate that height is important here. Maybe I am just missing something here!

Back
Top Bottom