LED light burn

gmul92

Hello everyone,

I am a fairly new grower experiencing some problems during the beginning vegetation weeks.

Here’s some details:
Tent-2x2x5
Light- Mars Hydro 300W LED
Soil-KindSoil base/Organic medium
Seeds-feminized cosmic railways

I have fairly good venalation using small fans and tent windows.

Temperatures vary from 75-85degrees with humidity usually at 40-55% at all times.

Light watering using distilled water. I don’t believe over watering is an issue. Usually using a spray bottle to cover plant with water once a day and a few squirts at the base of the plant stem soaking soil directly below plant.

I have been going 24 hours with the LED for 2.5 weeks now. I had the light at 24” at the start but after week 2, moved it down to 16”. After a few days, my small plant’s leaves began to turn yellow. After the next day leaves began to shrivel and the plants look as if they were going to die.

I moved the LED light back up to 25” last night and the larger of the two plants seem to have made it and will live through its damages. However, the smaller of the 2 doesn’t want to take root again and continue growth.

Any advice with this set up? Feel like the plants stunted growth accorded right around under of week 2. Anyone else ever have LED light burn and have any advice on healing plants 2-3 weeks old ?

Pics or it never happened

Misting the leaves regularly can cause heat stress in a confined space, maybe hold off on that, meaning heats up the leaves, not as big a deal when they are older, so just water the soil not the plant

16" is way too close for young girls, 24" is much better

Stay tuned for pics later today!

Is LED with that wattage (300) capable of producing decent yield / burning young plants?

LED Wall watt is stated as 132 W. So this is my actual wattage spread along my canopy? Looking for 50-70W / Sq Ft ? So ideally I could use a bit more lighting inside tent? Would you suggest more light if the plan is 2-3 plants for this 2x2x5 grow tent?

Would you say 24” is as close as I’ll want to go through out the whole process ? Or would it make sense to move light closer as plants gain size and strength ?

I've had my LED closer late in flower due to height issues
12" is a bit close , 16" is better

I have two 5' tall areas, it's a challenge for sure if I run them in flower

Remember plants will stretch 2-3x their height in flower

that mars300 isnt burning your plants. Ive put it as close as 6 inches, with no problems. But like Chris said, heat is the issue with the light that close.
Your problem is distilled water.

Your water should be 6.5 for kindsoil/medium mix. ( KindSoil is awesome by the way,ive used it)

Distilled water is 7.0 when you open it, and soon drops to 5.2PH within a short time in the open air.

So, what im saying is, distilled water isnt stable for plant growth, especially this plant.

Your plant is having a hard time because its not getting the nutes it needs, due to being so low of PH. If you open the container with your water, and not putting the lid on it instantly, the PH will drop like a rock.

Then, u also have a calmag issue, because distilled water has NOTHING in it. This plant likes calmag, especially early in its life.

Im going to go out on a limb, and guess you dont have a PH meter, seeing your using the worst light possible,.. Not bashing you bro, maybe you cant afford it, or whatever your situation, but its very necessary to have a PH meter.

also, i want to throw some things to you to get you going a bit better.

#1, - water around the POT, not the plant. Use Poland Springs bottled water if you have no other choice, or cant get a PH meter, or Voss, but thats expensive.
#2, dont water again till your container is light. You need to learn the weight of your pots.
#3, dont spray your plants early in life. The roots grow by searching for water, so if your spraying water on them, they dont need to search for the water it needs, so slow root growth will happen. This is the same reason, I dont spray water on my clones.
#4, this is the EXACT set-up i used my first real grow. Mars300-KindSoil-2x2 tent.

Also, did you put the kindsoil in the pot like directed? If you mixed the Kindsoil with your regualr soil, you will have major problems. The way KindSoil works is, once the roots get to the KindSoil, it will eat what, and when it needs them. It is very hot, ( powerful) so you will burn your plants with it, if not used as directed.

that mars300 isnt burning your plants. Ive put it as close as 6 inches, with no problems. But like Chris said, heat is the issue with the light that close.
Your problem is distilled water.

Your water should be 6.5 for kindsoil/medium mix. ( KindSoil is awesome by the way,ive used it)

Distilled water is 7.0 when you open it, and soon drops to 5.2PH within a short time in the open air.

So, what im saying is, distilled water isnt stable for plant growth, especially this plant.

Your plant is having a hard time because its not getting the nutes it needs, due to being so low of PH. If you open the container with your water, and not putting the lid on it instantly, the PH will drop like a rock.

Then, u also have a calmag issue, because distilled water has NOTHING in it. This plant likes calmag, especially early in its life.

Im going to go out on a limb, and guess you dont have a PH meter, seeing your using the worst light possible,.. Not bashing you bro, maybe you cant afford it, or whatever your situation, but its very necessary to have a PH meter.
also, i want to throw some things to you to get you going a bit better.

#1, - water around the POT, not the plant. Use Poland Springs bottled water if you have no other choice, or cant get a PH meter, or Voss, but thats expensive.
#2, dont water again till your container is light. You need to learn the weight of your pots.
#3, dont spray your plants early in life. The roots grow by searching for water, so if your spraying water on them, they dont need to search for the water it needs, so slow root growth will happen. This is the same reason, I dont spray water on my clones.
#4, this is the EXACT set-up i used my first real grow. Mars300-KindSoil-2x2 tent.

Also, did you put the kindsoil in the pot like directed? If you mixed the Kindsoil with your regualr soil, you will have major problems. The way KindSoil works is, once the roots get to the KindSoil, it will eat what, and when it needs them. It is very hot, ( powerful) so you will burn your plants with it, if not used as directed.

Thanks for your help! I have tested the ph at 6.0-6.5 twice so far. Considering you’ve used this same set up I’d love some inside tips.
I have the plants set up correctly with the kind soil layered at the very bottom of cup (this mistake was fixed 2 days ago)

I’m still in a solo sized plastic cup. When would you suggest moving into a larger pot? Thinking 1gal and then into a 3 gal later before flowering?

As far as not using distilled water, what water source and nute blends do you suggest using?

I was given the light also. I didn’t know it was the worst light possible. I can afford an upgrade. Do you have any auggestions? Would this light I currently am using suffice for 1-2 plants or is it worth it to get something stronger. I would prefer to stick with LED to help maintain lower temperatures within the small tent

I'm a HUGE new fan of Quantum Boards

@TimberGrowLights is a fantastic sponsor, and has some great options

Also diy options if your into that, but Timber rocks!!!

Less heat, closer to canopy

Is all I'll be using moving ng forward. On my 2nd grow with QBs and love them

Yeah, Like Chris said, QB is the way to go, simple and easy. I personally love my COBS, but they are streamlined like QBs are. And we can sit and compare apples to apples, but it also comes down to alot of varibles to get the most out of either set-up.

Thanks for your help! I have tested the ph at 6.0-6.5 twice so far. Considering you’ve used this same set up I’d love some inside tips.
I have the plants set up correctly with the kind soil layered at the very bottom of cup (this mistake was fixed 2 days ago)

I’m still in a solo sized plastic cup. When would you suggest moving into a larger pot? Thinking 1gal and then into a 3 gal later before flowering?

As far as not using distilled water, what water source and nute blends do you suggest using?

But you have just the organic soil in the solo cup, right? U dont need that kindsoil in there yet.

Put it in your final pot, and Id go with 3gallon pot in a 2x2.

I started with 1/4 cup of kindsoil in bottom of plastic cup, rest soil. Not mixed.

It mentioned not to mix nutrients into kindsoil. You mentioned some calmg ? When do u add that

I started with 1/4 cup of kindsoil in bottom of plastic cup, rest soil. Not mixed.

It mentioned not to mix nutrients into kindsoil. You mentioned some calmg ? When do u add that

The young plants dont need very little till 21 days around. Like i said with the KindSoil, its hot, and the roots eat when and what they need when the roots get to the KindSoil. SO, when you take that information into concideration, when the roots get to the KindSoil, they STOP growing, and just sit there and eat away when they want it. So root developement will be haulted, at a time you need them to thrive and search for water to grow bigger and bigger and more and more.

Make sense?

So, when you fill your Final Pot for the grow with 1/4 of volume worth of the kind soil, it takes the plant awhile to get to the kind soil, and has more time to mature and web out to develop a strong root system,..

A little calmag wont hurt, just like 2ML per gallon of water. Its better to have a bit more, then a bit less of calmag.

So, just mix it in your water before watering. I have to check the KindSoil ratio of cal and mag, but when i grew with it, i could tell it needed it. and now, I understand why, ..

And, if you can, get a new light if you can afford it. Its one thing to learn the entire process first, but if your light isnt right, your learning wrong, and will make mistakes thinking your not, and its because of the lack of proper spectrum and intensity.

here is a pic of illistration how the roots hit the kindsoil, then stopped. I used plastic just to see this happen. It went about half an inch into the Kindsoil.. I had more pics when it was older, but guess i didnt load them up, but you get the jist of it bro..

Back
Top Bottom