LED SCROG Grow - Aug 2015 - Sensi Star - UK Cheese - Belladonna

Will you use seperate drivers for each cxb3070 or run them in series? I would like a 3 cxb3070 2ft light 2x3000k and a 5000k in the middle seperate switch veg / bloom but im unsure about drivers , heatsinks, shades, lenses. Btw I found a good aluminum heatsink with fan and even a fan shroud in a water cooler... would you mind if i posted a pic and you could let me no what you think?

Hey, i have picked 4 3k cxb3070s per lighting unit. The shape of my room us perfect for 2 of these in a parallel, i'm not going with the bluer end of the spectrum (the 5k) as 1) i have a CFL until i can use for vegging plus 3k will veg more than enough for the size of plant i want when it needs to flower and 2) i feel with these size chips that the distance between the chips won't allow for a good mixing of the frequencies therefore the plant under the 5k chip will receive more blue light the whole cycle.

I have use aluminium heatsinks with fans on them... The i think will change. I have a friend who owns a metal work shop, he is making me aluminium shades to attache the heat sinks to, but of course the shade could act as a heatsink, so i will experiment when i design the next set of lights. The shades will be here next week some time so i will for sure put pics of the components and finished light on here.

I have used a separate driver for each chip yes, 1.65amp driven at 60w, no lenses.

Also in your message you asked why these chips? TBH i think the way i grown with scruff i could use about 60w per plant, the Cxb3070 allow spacing for literally 1 chip per plant. I feel the strength of the LED is you can spread the right source over you're whole cabinet creating a very even spread of lumens.....

This thread is due for an update form my current grow, i'll sort it later!

Day 37...

In flower for a few days now and the screens are nicely filling out. Plants are so strong and vigorous with thick stems and plenty of bud sites, temps in the room are a bit cooler than i'd like, dropping to 24 maxing out at 31. Still feeding 2ml Biobizz grow per litre of water plus a few extra soil conditioning tricks.. (Rabbit poo).

Next post i'll take some close up pics and try a non LED pic.

UK Cheese

2015-08-29_10_20_39.jpg

Belladonna

2015-08-29_10_20_31.jpg

Sensi Star

2015-08-29_10_20_27.jpg

Whole room

2015-08-29_10_20_43.jpg

All the pics are after tucking so they look pretty flat.

The UK Cheese STINKS!! I weave the tops every day and today when doing it i couldn't believe how strong it smelt.. They all smell good but the UK cheese is so so strong...

Enjoy

Day 43 from seed. Time flies!!!

Lights have been flipped for just over a week, good signs that flowering has started especially with the Belladonna, i would expect that as it is an early flowering strain.

Everything is going as planned, screens filled nicely, room temps good.

These plants are now starting to stink when touched, good looking stems and leaves.

Sensi Star

2015-09-04_09_03_35.jpg

Belladonna

2015-09-04_09_03_41.jpg

Uk Cheese

2015-09-04_09_03_45.jpg

Whole room

2015-09-04_09_03_52.jpg

Pics are terrible, just haven't got time to do a good photoshoot.... Hahaha.

Good news is my components for the DIY LEDs are almost all here, i have decided to keep these 4 8w panels in this room and build a new 2 story LED room for my homemade LEDS...

Thanks for stopping by!!

I will post an update on the indoor grow tomorrow, but thought i might put up a pic or 2 of my new outdoor scrod which has just started to show signs of flowering. Next year i will do a proper outdoor scrod planting in April or May. This is 4-6 weeks old but only been trained on the scruff screen for 3 weeks or so.

2015-09-07_12_21_36.jpg
2015-09-07_12_21_30.jpg

So health, can't wait to see a carpet of flowers on this.....

All good here...... Day 48 from seed, day 14 from switch

Screens filling nicely, so far stretch under control and has done the job i expected (always a worry when using seeds.)

The Sensi star looks really rugged, so full of life, not far behind is the UK cheese, these genetics seem very stable, all identical. The Belladonna looks the weakest out of them all but only because its a lighter green with slighter looking leaves, still full of life and holding its own.

Pics

UK Cheese

20150909_101244.jpg

Belladonna

20150909_101239.jpg

Sensi Star

20150909_101234.jpg

Whole room

20150909_101227.jpg

As you can see flowering is coming along very nicely, good even spread of heads although i have since tied a few of the taller tips down to level them off. These panels do bring flowering on quicker than other lights i've used, must be down to a good balance of red and blues?

I have introduced some flower nutrients also, i am currently giving 3ml per litre of grow and 1ml per litre bloom, i also add a few organic micro nutrients which i source from my chickens and rabbits..... :)

Cheers for now

Re: LED SCROG Grow - DIY LED light

So i have been building my 2 story grow cabinet over the last day or so, they are 4' (125cm) wide and 2 1/2 feet (75cm) wide. I plan on putting between 4-8 plants in each cabinet and lighting them with my home made cobs.

Today i built the cob lights using 4 x cxb3070 3k crees. I had some aluminium shades made up to attach the chips drivers and heatsinks to, still waiting on my power supply for the 4 heatsink fans, it'll be here tomorrow. Then i can instal not the top cabinet, get the plants in and grow.

Some pics.

The back of the unit, showing the 4 heatsinks with their fans.

2015-09-13_18_43_37.jpg

close up, you can see how i mounted the drivers, each driver is 1.7amps running about 70watts

2015-09-13_18_43_42.jpg

Close up view of the cree cobbs, you can see how i mounted them on the heatsinks using the chip holders, next time i'll just use thermal adhesive and solder onto the chips direct as getting hold of the holders in the UK is tricky. Shame that the chips have to be powered from the front.

2015-09-13_18_44_05.jpg

A look right down the front of the unit, u can see some loos cables at the end, these are to power the fans once my 12v supply comes...

2015-09-13_18_44_09.jpg

A birdseye side view of the unit, its 1m in length, each chip sits in the centre of a 1' area so giving equal per footage coverage.

2015-09-13_18_44_24.jpg

I have a shade i was going to attach to the front but not sue its needed, in future i may make another metal cutout to sit over the to sealing the unit, that way o can put i CPU fan it each end creating airflow through it and do away with the heatsinks, i figure the aluminium body should act as a good heatsink alone?

More pics once i've installed into the new cabinet!

Lookin good man ! Did the chip holders make the install easier? Ive seen some lights that just use thermal paste to adhere the chips , wondering how well that would hold on ?

Thanks mate.

They did make the install easy, easier i'm not sure as i've not used the past yet (i have some and will for my next build). I had to drill holes into the heatsink to fix with self tapping screws. They are bright, i have ordered 4 new drivers which are rated at 2amps, i want to drive them harder, i know this will make them less efficient but i think overall, after the cost of the components is taken into account more watts per square foot will be more useful to me.

Sorry for the time in updating this thread been busy

Everything is going really well, have my new cabinet and light up and running, the other plants looking great and so too are the outdoors.

Here are the outdoors..

2015-09-22_14_05_21.jpg
2015-09-22_14_05_27.jpg
2015-09-22_14_05_32.jpg
2015-09-22_14_05_34.jpg

The non scrog plants have flowered late! going to struggle getting the mature before the old and cold arrives.... The scrog looks on schedule to be finished by the end of October. I have 4 plants of the same variety, 2 i scrogged and 2 i didn't, the scrogged pants are so much larger in spread and look bigger in every way, it will be interesting to see the difference in weight at the end.

Enjoy

Sooooooo..

Day 30 from switch, buds looking good, plants looking well. Gave the UK chess a thinking out of the smaller lower shoots and tied the taller branches back.

These puppies STINK!! I mean you brush them and your fingers become a world of stickiness and the smell is just.....!!!

Anyhow, no problems all things good.

Been tied up with my new grow room project with the home made LEDS, they are serious also with super quick growth. Found a plug in thermostat and link a little tube heater to that so the team is always around 30degrees!!

Pics

Couple of full room pics, a couple of bud close ups.... Enjoy.

2015-09-24_09_36_52.jpg
2015-09-24_09_36_53.jpg
2015-09-24_09_37_09.jpg
2015-09-24_09_37_17.jpg

Day 40 from flip, they are plumping up very nicely, the uk cheese are covered in thick white hairs with tinges of orange already while the sense stars have large candle buds with very few shade leaves within them. All looking very good and very healthy as expected. I reckon another 3 weeks should just about do it but its still hard to tell exactly how quickly they will mature,

What is clear is the crystal and resin content on these are through the roof. The smell when they are brushed is sickening.

I am going with a strong nutrient solution ATM which seems to be serving them well enough, good room temps are helping home fatten i'm sure.

Pics..

2015-10-05_09_46_20.jpg
2015-10-05_09_46_18.jpg
2015-10-05_09_46_09.jpg
2015-10-05_09_46_05.jpg
2015-10-05_09_45_56.jpg

This is my new cabinet, its a double decker so have the exact same space below which is just about to get colonised by some new cuttings.

This is my homemade led light with 4 x cxb3070 crees driven at 1.65 amps about 60 watt per chip. They are so far doing a fine job under the veg cycle, i have put a mesh over them and have just today flipped the lights to 12 12. I will continue training for the next week or so until i'm happy the stretch is manageable.

There are 6 plants here 4 lucid bolt clones and another 2 from seeds, not sure what they are, its a bit of a gamble but i know they were from good stock so confident they'll be quality.

The size of the cabinet is 3' x 4' x 2.5' Hight Length and Depth.

2015-10-06_09_13_55.jpg
2015-10-06_09_13_48.jpg
2015-10-06_09_13_37.jpg
2015-10-06_09_13_30.jpg
2015-10-06_09_13_19.jpg

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom