LED - To buy or not to buy? - Please help

BuzzDaddy

Hey peeps,
I came across this LED light to buy and I'm wanting to get some input from fellow growers. I have attached a pic and specs to this message. If you need more info plz feel free to ask.
Thanks so much.
420-magazine-mobile905609220.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1584747416.jpg
420-magazine-mobile174749842.jpg
420-magazine-mobile11894513.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hey there supergroomer,
So your saying that the info is incorrect? I've never worked with led beings I haven't a clue about them. I grow with hps. So you think it's not a good deal? How can you tell it's not a 1000 watt light?
Thanks so much for your help Supergroomer.

I love LEDs. Unfortunately, there are some less then reputable people. If you read the info, it says 100pc. Look at the lights pictured. They are a 6x10 array which is only 60. They are also using 5w epistar chips. In LEDs they driver only powers each chip at 1/2 or a little less then the rating so maximum power from a 5w chip is 2.5w (a little less actually). So the most it could be (with 100 leds that are 5w each) is 250w not 1000 and since these are 60pc you are looking at 150w. Depending on your grow size (if it is very small like a 2x2' area) these lights may be enough, but with the misleading advertising, I would be cautious. If you are looking at LEDs, check out some of our sponsors. I run Mars-Hydro lights and have been very happy. :peace:

They label the leds as to what watts it equals to in hps/mh. I have been using led for the past 3 years throughout 16 harvests with them. Those are the same specs my 300w led has, my 300w led uses 135w from the wall. I currently have three galaxy hydros full spectrum leds. 2 for flowering and one for vegging. Its a great deal for the personal grows. I would suggest ordering a mars hydro 1200w that uses 575w from the wall if you want larger yields..or black dog led, apollo g8 series. Any of those are high quality. I yielded 6oz from both of my plants using just two leds. But back to you, epistar and cree leds are made in the usa, another thumbs up, top quality leds. Im going to upgrade to the galaxyhydro 600w with 5w chips since it just came out a month ago. Hope this helps..

Thank you supergroomer & AKGrower907. I'm just learning about led so I'm sure some of my questions will be goofy whereas I'm just learning. So does the led lights need a ballast? My grow area is really small. I'm growing 4 plants from bagseed presently (My state=4 plants = misdemeanor, 5 plants = felony) so again it's a small grow. Would the Mars Hydro and the Galaxyhydro be enough of coverage for 4 plants?
Thank you fellows.

One of my lights covered my 4x4 light just fine with 7 plants in there at 2 feet above canopy. Yield was about 50 percent less but it was all top shelf imho. One light could easily flower out 4 ladies. Im not worried about the watts/square feet, i think its more of the par rating. Leds do give off more light that the plants actually feed off more better, so their watts are low. And thats a pro switching to led from the path everyone takes with hps. But, everyone has their own take on the proper way to grow. I say just do what you want to and see how it ends up for you. Yes, either light will be sufficient.

No, they dont. They all have their own built in ballast, aka driver. And the good thing about the galaxyhydros is that theyre wired to where if one bulb goes, the rest will stay on. The temps dropped from 79 down to 75 after switching from hps. To start out my seedlings i keep the light 4 feet above the canopy level. When they get a few nodes i drop the light down to about 3ft6inches and keep an eye out for any light burning. Again, its best to look for the PAR Rating when looking at led lights, not lumens or watts. I bought my led from amazon for 135 dollars. 1 dollar per actual wattage used i found out. But theyre having sales on the galaxys for 99 dollars. Id hurry and purchase one. Shipping is fast and great packaging. Usually a 5-7 days from placing order. Never a dent in any of my lights. Ordered a few dozen to distribute to other growers here in barrow, ak. They are all happy with them.

Sorry i was a bit busy. That is the right one. You found it. Dont get the dimmable version. It does not dim and seriously hurts alters the driver to cease up quite a bit of led chips.

That initial LED looks totally bogus to me. I'd still go with multiple MH-300's. At $65 and 135 true watts each, they offer the best value I've seen. And by getting two - four smaller LED panels, you have redundancy in case one ever fails, with much better flexibility in placement, coverage and height adjustment.

That initial LED looks totally bogus to me. I'd still go with multiple MH-300's. At $65 and 135 true watts each, they offer the best value I've seen. And by getting two - four smaller LED panels, you have redundancy in case one ever fails, with much better flexibility in placement, coverage and height adjustment.
Hey Major,
MH-300? I don't know what that is buddy. Where do u find these MH-300's? We new growers need details spelled out for us or we are just lost.

Back
Top Bottom