Legalize Marijuana -- If Only For The Votes

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Even Rep. Barney Frank doesn't think much of the chances for his proposal to legalize the possession and non-commercial transfer of small quantities of marijuana, a measure co-sponsored by Rep. Ron Paul. Frank reportedly joked that the bill doesn't have a "high chance" of passing. That's a shame, because it's a good step toward getting the government out of the business of telling consenting adults what they can and can't buy, sell and -- most importantly -- put into their own bodies.

The text of the bill, H.R. 5843, is short and to the point:
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no penalty may be imposed under an Act of Congress for the possession of marijuana for personal use, or for the not-for-profit transfer between adults of marijuana for personal use. For the purposes of this section, possession of 100 grams or less of marijuana shall be presumed to be for personal use, as shall the not-for-profit transfer of one ounce or less of marijuana, except that the civil penalty provided in section 405 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 844a) may be imposed for the public use of marijuana if the amount of the penalty does not exceed $100.

Of course, Congress has rarely shown much interest in expanding the range of human liberty, whether it's run by currently triumphant Democrats or previously dominant Republicans.

But even if our current crop of legislative overlords are uninspired by the prospect of freeing Americans from the threat of arrest, imprisonment and the occasional, lethal SWAT raid for evil weed, they may at least appreciate the Machiavellian advantage to be had in distinguishing themselves from their civil-liberties-trampling predecessors by building a coalition that nibbles at the Republican base. The alliance of liberal-Democrat Frank with libertarian-Republican Paul points the way to a future in which the donkey party benefits and grows its support by taking the lead on at least a few pro-liberty issues.

If even limited legalization of marijuana -- an increasingly popular policy -- is too ambitious for the timid politicos, Frank's and Paul's companion measure, H.R. 5842, to prevent the federal government from interfering with state-level permissiveness toward medical marijuana may provide safer harbor. Repeatedly approved at the ballot box, medical marijuana laws have proven widely popular with a majority of voters -- including three-fourths of those over 50.

C'mon, oh trend-setting lawmakers. If you won't support easing drug prohibition a tad for the sake of our freedom, do it for the political advantage.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Examiner.com
Copyright: 2008 Civil Liberties Examiner

if you were 15 in in 1968 you are old enough to join aarp

since seniors are a group that both votes and writes to congress

perhaps a big effective use of $$$ for change and reform would be to buy several two page spreads in aarp's magazine over several months just before a major election....

think of the effect of blue haired old ladies asking about proven anti cancer effects and why hasn't it been rescheduled for medical use....

and what about gray haired crew cut farmers talking about their canadian cousins growing hemp and spending thousands less on diesel ,pesticides and fertilizers and planting land they never could use for corn or wheat...

That's great thinking, and what a great target audience for our plight.

We should write our allies and run it by them...MPP or ASA would probably be a couple of great ones to advertise this new age idea to our seniors, as they would probably be the ones to get the best benefit from cannabis to begin with.

Lets keep this idea going guys...we may be on to something serious here...very exciting stuff :grinjoint::clap:

if you were 15 in in 1968 you are old enough to join aarp

since seniors are a group that both votes and writes to congress

perhaps a big effective use of $$$ for change and reform would be to buy several two page spreads in aarp's magazine over several months just before a major election....

think of the effect of blue haired old ladies asking about proven anti cancer effects and why hasn't it been rescheduled for medical use....

and what about gray haired crew cut farmers talking about their canadian cousins growing hemp and spending thousands less on diesel ,pesticides and fertilizers and planting land they never could use for corn or wheat...

That's great thinking, and what a great target audience for our plight.

We should write our allies and run it by them...MPP or ASA would probably be a couple of great ones to advertise this new age idea to our seniors, as they would probably be the ones to get the best benefit from cannabis to begin with.

Wow...wait a minute here :hmmmm: We need to get Smokin Moose in on this for a "Tinctures For Seniors" campaign :allgood:

What a concept!!! Good work guys :headbanger:

Lets keep this idea going guys...we may be on to something serious here...very exciting stuff :grinjoint::clap:

The way I see it...seniors are quick to step up and get pissed off at anyone holding back anything to better their quality of life, and I would think that the ancient and revolutionary idea of cannabis tinctures would hold a ton of weight in a new market like our senior citizen population.

1st, their needs to be a paper written on the concept and benefits of this wonder drug of the future. (Moose territory :smokin:)

2nd, we need this to be lobbied for to get the word and knowledge out to the mass population (mainly our target audience in question) through magazines and news media, via, our reform groups.

3rd, we need to lobby legislation to approve this through the FDA, using our pissed off seniors as leverage...and vwalla!!! we have something tangible to link our MMJ plight to, for the big push for total legalization of cannabis.

and senoritas too
:passitleft:

there should be a chain of old folks homes in MMj states just for MMj seniors. all those old hippies need a special place for their later years complete with garden areas for them to grow their meds. it would be great therapy for them. if somebody starts one you can put me on the waiting list :cool:

AARP - American Association of Retired Potheads

i've been saying this for 15 years...

It's time to try and drive it home brother :smokin:

If we could get the seniors on our side, that would be huge! Especially in Florida, because that would put a nail in it, here in the S East US :grinjoint:

I'm wanting to get up with Moose to help me compose something to our reform groups detailing the science of cannabis tinctures coupled with the idea of a campaign, targeting senior's as a "better quality of life elixir" for them.

If we could get them writing letters and lobbying along side of us, there's no telling what could happen in our struggle to reform.

We started with the Country Women's Association (CWA) and worked up lol. The most important thing to do with tinctures is NOT dicker with med recipes that are proven to work. Also, stress that you do not get high from tincs - there is no cognitive impairment.
With tinctures, it is so important to select the right strain/s for each patients tincture. If you treat tincs as a generic, you get limited efficacity, and can even turn folks off. To make good tinc, you need to have very good strainal knowledge, as well as stocks of starting material ie enough BHO from each strain to make the blend.
Just my two cents worth

We started with the Country Women's Association (CWA) and worked up lol. The most important thing to do with tinctures is NOT dicker with med recipes that are proven to work. Also, stress that you do not get high from tincs - there is no cognitive impairment.
With tinctures, it is so important to select the right strain/s for each patients tincture. If you treat tincs as a generic, you get limited efficacity, and can even turn folks off. To make good tinc, you need to have very good strainal knowledge, as well as stocks of starting material ie enough BHO from each strain to make the blend.
Just my two cents worth

That's why I'm thinking this would appeal to seniors that are in pain from many many ailments and diseases, and are having adverse effects from their current medications.

IDK...might be worth a shot to at least push the issue that the government has been holding out on them for years, on the fact that their might be a natural alternative to their current addictive and side effect filled meds.

We could enlighten them on the MMJ policies of the 12 states that have something different to offer, with no side effects.

I'd like to see if we can at least, gather the senior citizen population to our fight, if nothing else.

i like this idea....picture boyscouts going in and telling grandma about this new butter that if she uses it in her sugar free cookies for grandpa, he won't be so grouchy....lol

I think this idea is worth doing some research on for sure.

There should be a nationwide petition to congress started, for the idea of MMJ for the elderly.

The honest reality of it, is the fact that people think that the only method of delivery for MJ is to smoke it. They don't even realize that their are many other ways to get the benefits from it without smoking it.

This is just one of many, many truths that need to brought to light for all the world to know.

I still stand by my feelings, that their needs to be some serious research done to identify and categorize every common strain of both indica and sativa, for both their potency and effects on the body and mind.

I strongly feel that, with this kind of research, it would serve as a vital guideline for everything from, prescribing MMJ for individual needs, to which kinds should be placed on the shelf for recreational use by adults.

Our government officials and law enforcement alike seem to be totally oblivious to this well known fact amongst the growing community.

I think it's time to let them in on our little secret...if nothing else, but to prove to them that these claims of pot being this super potent monster these days, is not necessarily the way that all the weed we smoke is.

There are many levels of effects and potency's out there, and no one seems to have broken it down for the word to see.

I would like to challenge anyone out there to find some research being done that identifies all the common strains we smoke these days, as it is broken down by actual THC/CDB content and what general effects can be expected to be experienced from each strain as well.

The closest thing I've seen to this is in the seed bank sites them selves, where the breeders give a description of each one they sell...this would be a good starting point for this research I think?

Back
Top Bottom