Less Nature's Living Soil but add Molasses

johnehazeharvester

Anyone try to use less than recommended amount of Nature's Living Soil but first prime it with molasses?
For example, instead of 1 cup to 1/3 the bottom of a 5 gallon pot, add 1/2 a cup but water in a tbsp of molasses 2 weeks before planting.

never heard of that NLS blend but that’s cool too

no doubt molasses is to feed micro herd but still prefer more soil in a bucket… in fact I mound it up and put more soil than needed. Bear in mind it’s not compacted at all, it has very good soil tilth with crap tons of perlite, pumice & rice hulls for aeration and I continue to slightly build the mound with thin layers of top dress.

I want my buckets and grow bags chock full of great soil with great amendments. I’ve used molasses a few times but never felt it was central to my successes or failures.

Nunya runs a badass tight ship with 20 gallon containers of LOS & live critters in soil, Bill284 is jamming down with his Bill284 method of layering where you can’t over water, Reservoir Dog, Azimuth & Buds Buddy are slaying it with SIPS (sub irrigated planters), Carmen Ray and few others are hitting out of the park with wicking and swicking tech.

many ways to skin a cat but let’s see what other replies come in

Anyone try to use less than recommended amount of Nature's Living Soil but first prime it with molasses?
For example, instead of 1 cup to 1/3 the bottom of a 5 gallon pot, add 1/2 a cup but water in a tbsp of molasses 2 weeks before planting.
Are you adding the Living Soil by volume or weight? The manufacturer says by weight, 3.2 oz to each gallon of soil, so in a 5 gallon pot, 16 oz.

Edit: I think I’d do what the manufacturer says and not try to go light on the mix. You could add molasses too, but stick to the mix instructions.

Back
Top Bottom