First timer making compost tea. Help..

kushman2382

Hello everyone.
Im wanting to try to brew up my first compost tea. Let me know if this is good for flowering.. These are the ingredients I have..
1/2 cup of earthworm casting 1-0-0 ( all brewed in a 5 gallon bucket)
1/2 cup of fossilized seabird guano 1-10-1
1/2 cup of original seabird guano 13-12-2
5tbl molasses
5tbl hygrozyme
5 table liquid karma 01-01-05

Heres what I would make for any plants that are in the first few weeks of flower.

2tbsp liquid karma
2tsp molasses bubble for 15 minutes and then add the dry stuff.

I would use 1/2 cup worm castings and 1/4 cup of the seabird guano. bubble for 24
and then your going to want to add another 1/2 cup worm castings and 2 more teaspoons of molasses and 1 tbsp of liquid karma. bubble for another 24 hours. You can now dilute your tea 2 parts water to part tea or you can do a 1:1
make sure you dilute it though. Its overkill to add the tea straight unless your plants are suffering from lack of food.

Simple teas are much more effective IMO if you add to much to the tea it can throw things off.

Compost teas are basically like alchemy at this point, meaning everyone has their own recipes. Not to say every recipe is going to work great, most people don't get their teas tested.

Anyhow, your recipe looks good to me, aside from the guano, I would remove the 13-12-2 guano and keep the other one.

If you can get some humus that'd be a nice addition. I think you're good to go for now though, you have castings and guano for microbes, molasses for the bacteria and kelp for the fungus. I don't think that hygrozyme helps much because the microbes create their own enzymes but some people don't agree with that.

I would also recommend a mineral product such as Earth Tonic 16 Ounce

The microbes use minerals like tools for completing their job.

Heres what I would make for any plants that are in the first few weeks of flower.

2tbsp liquid karma
2tsp molasses bubble for 15 minutes and then add the dry stuff.

I would use 1/2 cup worm castings and 1/4 cup of the seabird guano. bubble for 24
and then your going to want to add another 1/2 cup worm castings and 2 more teaspoons of molasses and 1 tbsp of liquid karma. bubble for another 24 hours. You can now dilute your tea 2 parts water to part tea or you can do a 1:1
make sure you dilute it though. Its overkill to add the tea straight unless your plants are suffering from lack of food.

Simple teas are much more effective IMO if you add to much to the tea it can throw things off.
Thank you! I've been reading around they say brew only for 24hrs after that the micro start dieing off. This is all new to me so I'm a little confused.. That's why it's nice to chat with people that make there own brew.. I will brew one up like u mention.

Compost teas are basically like alchemy at this point, meaning everyone has their own recipes. Not to say every recipe is going to work great, most people don't get their teas tested.

Anyhow, your recipe looks good to me, aside from the guano, I would remove the 13-12-2 guano and keep the other one.

If you can get some humus that'd be a nice addition. I think you're good to go for now though, you have castings and guano for microbes, molasses for the bacteria and kelp for the fungus. I don't think that hygrozyme helps much because the microbes create their own enzymes but some people don't agree with that.

I would also recommend a mineral product such as Earth Tonic 16 Ounce

The microbes use minerals like tools for completing their job.
Thanks JJ! I thought the seabird was a bit hot for flowering.. The earth tonic u mention how much would I use in a 5g bucket setup?:thumb:

Thank you! I've been reading around they say brew only for 24hrs after that the micro start dieing off. This is all new to me so I'm a little confused.. That's why it's nice to chat with people that make there own brew.. I will brew one up like u mention.

I brew in a 5 galllon bucket as well and follow recipes from the rev
after 24 hours of brewing I add more food for the microbes

All my teas are brewed this way now.

Not saying my way is the right way either but Just following some people way more experienced than me.

I've used a weaker brew myself for general watering between organic nutrient feeds in the past.

10 litres of water.
1 litre pot full of farmyard manure.
2 oz of chicken manure pellets.
1 oz of bat guano.
1 tbsp of molasses disolved in hot water

Brewed with an air stone for 24 hours before use, ya need an air stone to provide oxygen etc to help kick off microbial life.

Worked pretty well, but if any def's occur it took a little longer to sort out with organic's as it takes the microbial life/bacteria a little longer to turn nutrients into suitable form of plant food :thumb:

I must admit i had some pretty amazing smoking/tasting bud which honked to high hell 'n' back when i grew with organic methods.

I have another question if I was to try hydro could I use the same brew you guys mention or is that a different ball game?
Thanks ..

When adding tea are we suppose to do it like a normal watering? Or just enough to add soil activity? I use 5 gal smart pots and give 1 gal of diluted tea, is that to much?

So all the pictures I see of tea it has huge mega bubbles and is super thick but for some reason mine doesn't look like that, my water is ro and sits in a 71-76 degree room.

2 gal water
2 tbsp unsulfured molasses
2 tbsp liquid karma - bubbled for 15-20

Then I added to my tea bag:
1/2 cup EWC
1/2 cup cooked soil
3 tbsp fish hydroslat
2 granular mycos
2 tbsp 6\5\3
2 tbsp high k guano
1 tbsp Epsom salt - I question that as I read it now.
1 tbsp alfalfa meal
1 tbsp kelp meal.

6\5\3 is guano I am guessing? What is EWC and cooked soil?

I wouldn't use the granular mykos, it isn't giving you much benefit. Some will add mycorrhizae (soluble or wettable powder) right before they apply the tea, because it doesn't last long in the liquid solution due to not having a root to attach itself to.

6\5\3 is guano I am guessing? What is EWC and cooked soil? I wouldn't use the granular mykos, it isn't giving you much benefit. Some will add mycorrhizae (soluble or wettable powder) right before they apply the tea, because it doesn't last long in the liquid solution due to not having a root to attach itself to.

6/5/3 is soft rock phosphate, calcium carbonate, gypsum
EWC is earth worm castings
Cooked soil is my soil mix that's been cooking for 30+ days

Back
Top Bottom