Lighting and seed starting advice

f6c.jpg
Disagree...
From the pics it's too soon to call

Here is the article the others were refering to:
Great article, cut copied and filed. Thank you

Starting a new bunch of seeds. I set the others free to see if I could grow Snow weed outside. This batch is being started in one of the mini greenhouses, with a heat mat and thermal monitor with control. Set at 85F in the paper towel method. I am using two separate batches. One batch straight Fox Farms Ocean Forest, the other FF 50/50 with Perlite.
I also used the sandpaper the seed, soak overnight before placing it in the paper towel.

Sorry about the delay in getting back to this thread. When you had said the plants stopped growing I had thought that they were much larger than that before they stopped growing.

The stunted growth looks like the result of the over watering. The over watering encourages the Fungus Gnats and slows down root growth. The gnat larvae like to eat the small roots and that is enough to stunt the growth.

Like @Stunned says, it is a bit to soon to call. Letting the soil dry out some and getting rid of the gnats would allow the plants to start to repair the roots and soon the plants will start to grow properly again. Only downside is that it would take time to fix all the problems.

Since you sent the plants out to fend for themselves in the Maine winter did you get a chance to see what the root growth was like first? My experience has been that when the plants stop growing at that size there is little in the way of new roots at the time.

yeah, the base was rotting the stems. Over watered and not hot enough. 77F is the lowest you should go, night and day. Night time temp -5+ give or take. 85f to germ seeds is to hot i think personally. Good seeds dont need sanded, good seeds cant wait to pop, popping open by themselves builds strength of the plant believe it or not. just like if you baby it with light at first crack, it will be sensitive to light its entire grow cycle..

seedlings first light should be 200 par for 5 days, 250 for 5 days, 300 for 5 days, 350 for rest of veg, or HALF of your total LUX available. Turn light to max, measure at 16 inches. find LUX value, cut that total in half, and that should be your veg LUX target.

FoxFarm Strawberry fields is awesome stuff, just to mention that. might want to give that a try. Weight of pots should be 15% before watering. So, 1 gallon pots are LIGHT as heck. water to tiny bit of run off.

Solo cups are great to start in. fill 1/3 the way. After seed stretches, usually 1-2 days, fill cup 1 inch from tiny leafs. 1-2 more days, first set of leafs separate from preleaf ( cotyledon leafs).If using solo cup method, ziplock bags are awesome for seedlings first 5-10 days.

Back
Top Bottom