Lights on 2 hours longer then usual during flower

jaerock1984

anyone had a bad experience where the lights end up on 2 hours longer then usual ? any way to adjust this to hopefully keep them from going back into veg ?
i did read somewhere that you can help minimize the damage by just adjusting the dark period to maintain 12+ hours or darkness.
would really like anyones opinion on this if possible .

my usual light schedule is on at midnight and off at 11am. today they were on until 1:10pm thanks to idiot i live with taking my alarm clock to listen to music outside.
i have a digi timer but its so damn confusing to set that i have not used it , like an idiot.

thanks guys im worried now bout them goin back to veg state
cheers
:lot-o-toke::peace::party::ganjamon:

Don't worry about it an extended period for one hour won't cause you any dramas, don't do it often or the next day for example.

If I might also add if you are spending cash on

Lights
Setup equipment
Nutrients
Electricity
Water
Time

It might be worth considering purchasing a new 40 dollar timer to stick between the wall and your lights. That way you can set it to automatically turn off the lights. Just make sure you get a heavy duty one, the typical ones are sold for low power draw stuff like pumps and stuff that runs at 12v. Because you run lights and this applies to CFL's then the cheaper timers aren't cut out of the job. Make sure it mentions on the packet somewhere it's suitable for lights or other high draw units.

The reason why you don't want the cheaper ones is due to a internal function of the timers. When they tick over and turn on the sudden draw in power doesn't worry it too much it's when it needs to turn off that electricity draw do you see problems. Theres a bit inside that after a while it can wield together due to the higher then expected voltage and then it doesn't turn off and just stays on.
Which means one day you will find your lights on at the wrong time and then the question is how long were they on for? It's no marketing trick if you read the packets one says for high end stuff the other doesn't mention a thing. Usually they have they words "heavy duty" somewhere on them.

I hope that helps. :)

You won't have any problem. I've had lots of power outages. Also had timers go cuckoo and things were usually fine. One time when a timer failed to turn off and resulted in flowering room lights staying in for 4 days straight- I had one sativa start to reveg. The other plants were fine and kept on budding, incredibly.

^^ good advice from Ruddie about the timers. I use digital timers. That way when the power outages occur- there is still some consistency to the on/off schedule overall. The programming appears confusing at first because they're always made in China and the way they explain it and program the thing is not intuitive at all. But not too hard to understand if you look closely. If you're really stuck with the timer just post your confusion here or PM me Definitely get a heavy duty one. I had one go up in smoke once and it was a bloodcurdling sight!

i have a garrison digi timer but its so damn confusing to setup and i cant find a correct manual online. i would only have the light on timer and not fans but yea i am going to buy investing in a very nice one before i do my next crop.

thank you all so much for your replies and setting my mind at ease, was just scared after reading post after post of light timelines.

thanks so much everyone
cheers !
:lot-o-toke::peace::party::ganjamon:

anyone have experience with a heavy duty reliable timer and can mention the maker + model for me and ill check er out online .
im only looking to plug 1 400w hps, 2 23w 2700k cfl's . i could care less about the cfls though.

"A friend of mine had a wall on fire due to one being a non heavy duty. Fire majorly sucks."

Amen brother. That is a major fear of mine. When I build a room, I have the wiring done by a licensed electrician, who knows fully well what I am going to be doing there, and the load that is going to be used. I have a healthy respect for electricity that borders on fear.

To me, electricity is magic ... sometimes black magic. If it doesn't work, I change the light bulb - if that doesn't work, I call Sparky. Electricity used irresponsibly can and eventually will, cause major damage. And a lot of what we use is 220 with large amp draws - and that will reach out and kill. I may not have permits for everything, but everything is done to current code. Safety is a major concern in my grows.

Who wants to be standing on the sidewalk having a conversation with the Fire Chief and a cop about why your garage is fully engulfed in flames? Not me. Not saying it won't happen, but I do everything I can to prevent it.

~ Auggie ~

PS: I don't mean to hijack the thread, my post is really kind of off topic ... but I never miss the opportunity to preach safety. I have seen what electrocution looks like first hand, and, my friends, it is not pretty. There are much, much better ways to die. Please err on the side of safety.

Hey Auddie I agree completely and find it somewhat amazing safety isn't talking about more on this site.

A fire prevention plan isn't hard to create and can be simple to start with and upgraded over time.

I started with just simple fire alarms and two fire extinguishers but after a few months I ended up investing in what I think is the best solution possible for our hobby.

I have two devices that are automatic fire extinguishers that should pump out come crazy CO2 if ever there was a fire. They are called flame defender and hold 12KG of CO2, they do come in other smaller sizes but for the price who the hell is going to go the smaller one knowing it might not be enough. The 12kg unit can do an area of roughly 2.3m2 but I got two just in-case.

Sorry in advance I couldn't find a better example without the crappy music.

You tube

This is what I have

3x fire alarm (10 bucks each)
2x 2kg fire extinguishers (30 bucks each)
2x Flame Defender 12kg (150 bucks)
fire blanket (10 bucks)

Back
Top Bottom