Live chat?

TheFertilizer

Would it be possible to implement any kind of custom Live chat feature? I've seen some other forums with something similar and I really like it, I think it'd be fun to chat with people real time. I'm guessing you've all probably thought of it and decided it against it before but just in case no one's ever thought of it I'd like to suggest one :)

Thanks!

I'm mildly surprised not to see 200 likes on your post... and a short explanation by a staff member that we wouldn't be getting a Chatbox add-on. This thing was discussed before, and there were valid reasons given as to why it would not be a prudent idea.

That may have changed in the intervening time - but I'm not really counting on it. Rob takes security/safety seriously. There have been times when I would have appreciated such a feature, but I haven't really missed the lack of one.

With this particular forum software, we do have the option to set up a "party line private message thread." By that, I mean you can send a PM to multiple people, and they will each see both that message and every reply to it. You can also add people to one after it is already in progress.

Understandably, that isn't the same as a Chatbox feature would be. It's not quite live, for one thing, and people cannot directly invite themselves into your conversation (on the other hand, that might be looked at as a good thing ;) ) and, instead, must ask one of the current participants to add them. But it does allow for a group of people to hold a conversation. I sometimes fail to notice that I have a message waiting, but if people are aware of the conversation, they can read and respond immediately. Perhaps this can serve the purpose for you, IDK. It somewhat lacks spontaneity, but gives you a permanent record of the conversation that you can refer back to in the future. As far as that goes, you could also restart an old conversation in the future, lol.

Would it be possible to implement any kind of custom Live chat feature? I've seen some other forums with something similar and I really like it, I think it'd be fun to chat with people real time. I'm guessing you've all probably thought of it and decided it against it before but just in case no one's ever thought of it I'd like to suggest one :)

Thanks!
Haha I was looking for the live stoners thread yesterday. I like those threads too man. Just turn up n chat shit about whatever you feel like. Pandoras box thread kinda vibe.

Our Moderator staff is charged with reading all public posts and visitor messages to ensure they are free from Posting Guidelines violations. To ensure our website doesn't get shut down for allowing illegal activities, every violation must be edited or deleted and the member advised. Monitoring and reviewing chat rooms would require additional resources we simply don't have.

:Namaste:

I have been on staff for boards that have that feature and like Teddy said it's an administrative nightmare that someone have to be on top of 24/7. I agree it was fun but I don't think this is the environment for it.

Back
Top Bottom