Looking for input

BetterlateTN

I never grew before and ended up with 1 dozen viable seeds pulled from buds..NO IDEA what strain, just that its a nice smoke...decided to try. Long story short, started in April, down to 2 nice plants (4' and 6') in a VERY haphazard grow setup. Must be doing something right because I changed to 12-12 cycle last month and have bud starts.
Here's my question 1: Only have nubs on top level (top 1'-2' of branches). Can I do something this late in the game to encourage a full plant production?
Question 2: I thought I was seeing some insect damage and took steps to clean them out including re-pot and sanitize room 2 months ago. Found a ladybug yesterday. Think it came in new soil. Will it hurt new flowers or help me keep the girls some what pest free?

This site and all the threads of advice have gotten me this far, hoping for that last tidbit to get me to harvest.
Thanks.

The buds naturally grow on the tips where the plant receives the most light. A plant can/will really only grow as much bud as it's health and environment allow. Removing the little bud sites on the lower, more shaded areas, allows for more airflow in a spot that can become pretty congested otherwise and allows the plant to focus it's energy on the prime spots up in the sunshine. Not necessary but a common practice.
It takes a few weeks for buds to really get started.
Lady bugs eat smaller bugs including spider mites so are beneficial, though they definitely won't solve your pest problems if you have any. Check underside of your leaves for spider mites though. They are tiny. Little specks but they start to move around when disturbed.

Thank you so much.
To be honest, the lower portion (dirt to 2' level) on both plants is VERY spindly. Have had to tie the top heavy up. Without knowing the strain and being inexperienced, IDK if this is normal and what pruning I should do. Each one has 2-3 branches that shoot out like a Christmas tree with huge clusters of foliage at the end; previous posts tell me my light is too downward focused, but unsolvable with budget and other restrictions.
And for Ms. Bug...So funny I only have 1...but yes, I checked with a jewelers loop for the white aphids, webby spider mites and ANY other crawly...Think we are good.
Should I be worried that I don't smell them anymore? In veg, when the room was nice and warm and they got their bath, they smelled so good. Now, Nothing.
Thanks again.

If you get the chance to post a picture or two that would be good. Indica plants grow differently than sativas. But really doesn't make a difference regarding your question. Plants commonly have to be staked up I would just get a thin pole like a bamboo stake or two and jam into the pot or fix at base, or hang something from the ceiling or whatever you can do and use pipe cleaners or string loops (don't constrict stems) whatever is at hand and tie up branches as needed. I usually pinch off the tiny bud sites at the joints up to the last six or 8 inches of each branch. Just do at your discretion and leave the buds in the areas where they seem to be getting lots of light. Basically you end up with the choice of fewer but bigger buds or more small buds. The lower ones usually down at the very bottom never get very big or fully developed anyway. Don't worry about the smell. I'm sure there will be plenty of that. Doesn't sound like you have much to worry about. Just do what seems to make the most sense and let it grow

Photo period strain

You can do a mild defoliation at day 21 of flower, just taking fan leaves that shade the bud sites, then at day 45-47 you can do another heavier defoliation of the top canopy, not the bottom half of plant, this helps with a growth spurt in buds, creating heavier bud production.

I Would Not defoliate an Autoflower strain. :peace:

If you get the chance to post a picture or two that would be good. Indica plants grow differently than sativas. But really doesn't make a difference regarding your question. Plants commonly have to be staked up I would just get a thin pole like a bamboo stake or two and jam into the pot or fix at base, or hang something from the ceiling or whatever you can do and use pipe cleaners or string loops (don't constrict stems) whatever is at hand and tie up branches as needed. I usually pinch off the tiny bud sites at the joints up to the last six or 8 inches of each branch. Just do at your discretion and leave the buds in the areas where they seem to be getting lots of light. Basically you end up with the choice of fewer but bigger buds or more small buds. The lower ones usually down at the very bottom never get very big or fully developed anyway. Don't worry about the smell. I'm sure there will be plenty of that. Doesn't sound like you have much to worry about. Just do what seems to make the most sense and let it grow

Thanks

Hey I agree with above poster pictures would help. I'd recommend reading some of ed Rosenthal or Jorge cervantes books.

Take a look at my garden it may help or give you ideas. Ask any questions you would like.

Hey I agree with above poster pictures would help. I'd recommend reading some of ed Rosenthal or Jorge cervantes books.

Take a look at my garden it may help or give you ideas. Ask any questions you would like.

Will defiantly check out those books and keep scanning this site. All have been so helpful!!
Pics not an option...Hate it knowing how much it would really get me more info. :thanks:

Since I have NO IDEA what strain either are, I think I will NOT be defoliating at all. I will just take what I get.
Thank you for the info.

Also, spent some time rearranging to maximize light and cleaning dead leaves yesterday and have a HORRIBLE feeling 1 is male....Kinda weird with all I have been seeing because its the 4' one I suspect; 6' shows REALLY female traits. Back to that novice problem; Concerned all strains show different signs of sex and everything says the male is bigger. They were started at the same time. Do I pull now? Or is there a point I can get to just to make sure?

Back
Top Bottom