LST and Autoflower?

bongtastic

I am currently growing 6 autoflowering strains under CFLs and I was wondering if it would be worth it to try and LST them if they happen to get a little thick and/or tall?

It seems to me that, because of such a finite veg period that it probably won't make too much of a difference, but I don't have any experience and working off of guesses isn't what I want to do. ;-)

..thoughts?

Funny running into you here! ;-)

Ok, about the lst... what *exactly* is the point of it? I thought the only, and obvious, point was to supply light to lower bud sites. But then I read something about using lst to create more nodes or more budsites? I'm confused.

So far, i've been using the "K.I.S.S." method to very pleasing results... maybe I should just keep it that way...

Funny running into you here! ;-)

Ok, about the lst... what *exactly* is the point of it? I thought the only, and obvious, point was to supply light to lower bud sites. But then I read something about using lst to create more nodes or more budsites? I'm confused.

So far, i've been using the "K.I.S.S." method to very pleasing results... maybe I should just keep it that way...

One point of LST is what you said, evening out the canopy and supplying light to bud sites that wouldn't normally receive less of it. Another use of it is if you have restricted height as well. Take a 3 ft plant for example, by LST it you may be able to keep it down to 10-12 in.

Topping/FIMing is what you're talking about when you want more budsites. This involves cutting the newest growth of the plant turning one main stem into two. There's a little bit more too it than that, but more info can be found about it throughout the site.

Yeah, I'm familiar with topping... maybe I and/or the author of the post was way too high at the time of reading/writing said post...

Well, as usual token... thanks for clearing that issue up :thumb: (where would I be without you? <3 :rofl:)

Thanks for the input guys. I'm just going to let the babies grow naturally.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm just going to let the babies grow naturally.

Thats what Im thinking for my first AF grow. Im looking to plant 4 Automaria II's within the week, just have to relearn everything since Im changing from Hydro to soil for my first grow.

Howd they turn out? Thanks!

Just a note here. You CAN create more budsites by using LST. I bend down the top of my plant after they have the 4th set of leaves, tie it down, and the rest will grow and I continue this method until I feel it has enough branches to flower. Also most auto plant reacts quite well for this type of gentle training, not to mention that you'll reach the same amount of budsites with a lot less stress for the plant. In my experience this is also a faster method, you don't have to wait for the girls to recover.

Just a note here. You CAN create more budsites by using LST. I bend down the top of my plant after they have the 4th set of leaves, tie it down, and the rest will grow and I continue this method until I feel it has enough branches to flower. Also most auto plant reacts quite well for this type of gentle training, not to mention that you'll reach the same amount of budsites with a lot less stress for the plant. In my experience this is also a faster method, you don't have to wait for the girls to recover.

Hey there mantrax, can't believe someone actually necro'd this post! Lol.

So, the original post was put up about 3 years ago and I decided I'd give a quick update.

On my fifth cycle, I decide to try using LST, fimming, topping and some other techniques just to see what would happen.

The setup: 90 cubic foot cabinet, 4 AF strains, soil, Fox Farm's products

At 2 1/2 weeks I started bending the girls and tying down. On two of them I made subtle bends, a third one I made more dramatic bends and the final one I actually broke the branch fibers in a very extreme bend.... you won't believe what happened.

The fourth plant literally started sprouting a new main stem right at the break. I was flabbergasted. NEVER seen this happen before.

#1 and #2 ended up producing just over 1/2 oz. each dried. (#1 - aprox 3'2" tall, #2 - aprox 3'4") #3 gave me just about an oz. (#3 - aprox 2'6" tall but about twice as wide as #1 and #2) #4 gave me a whopping 2 oz dried! (#4 - 2'10" aprox and about 3' wide. Frankenstein plant. Random growth structure it seemed)

Hi guys, I am a new grower of canna and currently have some autos going. I have no canna experience, but I am a horticulturist and have greenhouse knowledge, as well as fertilization, IPM, and know the certified organic methods of growing. That said, canna is a whole new show. I grow for medical reasons. Anything else is just a side benefit of the MMJ. :)

I noticed with my plants (seen on my journal) the closer I kept the CFLs the more branching occurred. I put bulbs on the sides of the plant also. Before I grew these autos I read quite a bit and from what I read they really don't like any stress whatsoever. Anything can result; from becoming a hermaphrodite to very low yield. So, I agree with the keep it simple method using autos. Just sprout, plant in the container it will stay in till harvest (they hate transplanting), feed it properly, give it plenty of light, natural or artificial, watch for pests and diseases and that's it. Keep it all very clean and these are great in a pinch...I hope! Like I said, these are my first indoor/to greenhouse autoflower. Nice to meet you all.

Hi guys, I am a new grower of canna and currently have some autos going. I have no canna experience, but I am a horticulturist and have greenhouse knowledge, as well as fertilization, IPM, and know the certified organic methods of growing. That said, canna is a whole new show. I grow for medical reasons. Anything else is just a side benefit of the MMJ. :)

I noticed with my plants (seen on my journal) the closer I kept the CFLs the more branching occurred. I put bulbs on the sides of the plant also. Before I grew these autos I read quite a bit and from what I read they really don't like any stress whatsoever. Anything can result; from becoming a hermaphrodite to very low yield. So, I agree with the keep it simple method using autos. Just sprout, plant in the container it will stay in till harvest (they hate transplanting), feed it properly, give it plenty of light, natural or artificial, watch for pests and diseases and that's it. Keep it all very clean and these are great in a pinch...I hope! Like I said, these are my first indoor/to greenhouse autoflower. Nice to meet you all.

What a great advantage for getting into this. With this site you will be one of the top growers in no time. Look forward to your writings.

I grow think different and use lst just tying branches down so the growth is the same height. Mine do very well with it just a lil @ a time will not stress to the point of slow growth. I drill holes in my buckets and tie them down to it!

It may depend on strain also. Think different has more sativa than most auto. I think like 70 percent. But dutch passion td is great yielder and good smoke

Back
Top Bottom