LSTing Questions

Mrvinc911

Alright, so I started LSTing and I FIM my plant about 3 days ago. This plant is just from random bag seeds so the strain is unknown, also I didn't keep track of how old the plant is as I just tend to let it sit in it's box for 3-4 days and I water it. It's looking good to me, however since my grow box isn't tall I need this plant to be as short as possible. So my question is every when should I bend the plant a little bit more? Also do I want to bend the middle of the plant? Or the end of the plant where the new growth is? The plant is on 24 hr lighting with a 56W CFL, also can anyone give me a rough estimate on how old it is so I can sorta know? Also any tips on how I can get higher yields from this small grow box? Or am I do this right?

CIMG1141.JPG

CIMG1142.JPG

CIMG1143.JPG

CIMG1144.JPG

There are a lot of unknowns, but I'd guess it's about 3-4 weeks old? Also, it looks like you are getting a little heat stress on the top leaves. Maybe your light is a little close?

As far as LSTing, you can keep bending it more and more every day. I'd tie down the main stem just under the top, and let the top grow a bit, then repeat. As the stem thickens up, it gets harder to bend, so starting early helps keep it low. As side shoots start to grow, you'll have to tie them down too. Depending on how short you have to keep it, and how much it stretches in flower, you'll probably have to keep LSTing it 2-3 weeks into flower, until the stretch stops.

Heat stress really? I thought that was from stress from FIMing the plant. I'll keep bending it little by little until I can't anymore. I pushed the plant to the back of the box so it won't get so much heat stress. Another question, about how long will it take to get it to the max. plant size?

It could be heat stress or a variety of other factors. It's a guess since you didn't share much information. It could also be humidity, or something else. The leaves curling up like that is typically a sign that they are trying to "breathe" more, trying to get rid of moisture. FIMing the plant won't really show many physical stressors, except slower growth while the plant recovers.

What size pot is it in? 1 gallon? It depends on the strain really. Strains have different root mass to plant size ratios. Also what growing medium are you using? Some soiless mixture? The size of the plant will typically double/triple in flowering, so take that into account.

I think it's in a half gallon container, strain is unknown so that doesn't help. I'm using Black Gold soil, don't remember adding anything else not even nutes. So maybe 1 more moth of veg. will be good? I plan to flower with (4x) 23W CFLs that are warm, however I'm not sure if my box will get too hot. So it might grow little faster then now.

There are tons of tutorials and things of how to LST effectively. Do a web search, or look below for a basic tutorial:
How can I train my plants for a lower profile?

The takeaway here is that in order to keep from uprooting your plant (like you mentioned), you need to add a tie to the base in the opposite direction that you are pulling the top down. It's kind of like you're pulling it in both directions.

There are tons of tutorials and things of how to LST effectively. Do a web search, or look below for a basic tutorial:
How can I train my plants for a lower profile?

The takeaway here is that in order to keep from uprooting your plant (like you mentioned), you need to add a tie to the base in the opposite direction that you are pulling the top down. It's kind of like you're pulling it in both directions.

That actually look pretty easy, I'll have to try that hook. How can I improvise for that wire? Like can I just put shrink wrap around a wire or can it be a uncoated wire...?

*EDIT* just added the hook like thing and removed that 1 ribbon I was using. I ended up using a paper clip, hope that'll hold if not then I'll bend the base of the clip and add a weight. I also flipped the plant so it's facing the opposite way so the smaller leaves can get the light.

Today I gave it some Miracle Grow All Purpose Plant Food, maybe it'll grow a bit faster who knows. I want to be able to get a decent amount of bud but I know that my growbox isn't that high. I'm not sure if that'll effect the yield but how much longer should I veg. until I should start flowering? I'm thinking too long of a veg. will make it pointless if the buds will be restricted since they can't grow as high. What should I do? Do I veg. for another month? Or wait till it's a certain size?...

Back
Top Bottom