Lucas Formula in soil question

Blitz35

Im currently on day 19 of flowering and started using gh's 2 bottle, lucas formual feeding. What I don't understand is how is it that I give the plant exactly the same amount of nutes from vegetative growth through flowering? It doesn't make sense to be giving it the same ratios throughout its life. For now im giving it 6.25ml micro and 12.5 ml bloom. Im using 12 cfl's. I may increase it to the recommended 8/16 next week, but wondering, do I give it micro in that ratio (half of bloom), throughout flowering? I never have to decrease micro, which contains nitrogen, and/or increase bloom? Seems odd its getting exactly the same balance all its life.

Wanted to add a pic, but it doesn't seem im able to on this site.

You can add photos on this site, but you need to upload to your gallery first.

I've looked at the Lucas formula but don't use it. For me, it makes no sense. Around here, GH Micro & Bloom are more expensive than GH Gro. So to give my plants the same EC (nutrients), I end up using more of a more expensive product instead of a less expensive product. Also, when used during a typical grow cycle, the three bottles (Micro, Gro, Bloom) end up being used about equally so you run out at the same time. With the Lucas, two bottles, you end up running out of Bloom too soon / too often.

I didn't opt for the 3 bottle as it seemed the gro was a waste...that micro has enough nitrogen in it and the 2-1-6? from gro isn't needed. Here the micro was 5$ more for the 1L bottle than the gro. Even in the 3 step feed, you end up running out of micro sooner than the other 2, gro lasts the longest as its used the least..maybe its why its the cheapest of the 3. I saw one post on some site that changed the ratio's in mid bloom, but I cant find it and I only saw it once and it wasn't by someone 'reputable' to the site, so idk what to do. I guess i'll keep it up until I see or hear differently. Plant is doing fine, ive only given it this feed twice.
I'll hold off on the pics as it seems to be a lot of work to get them up on this site, thanks for the help.

I've run GH nute's several times. When used with the GH ratios, during a 9 week veg and 9 week bloom, the three bottle get used up evenly. It does seem like there should be a different mix for the Lucas ratio when in bloom, but I've never found it. If you do, please post a link. It might make the usage and cost more competitive with the three bottle mix.

It is true you don't need Gro when using the Lucas formula, but that is where the waste comes in. You spend more $$$ to get the same amount of N-P-K using just two bottles. The only way it might make sense financially is if the Lucas ratios allowed you to buy gallons instead of quarts. For me, the Lucas ratio costs more but offers no benefit.

-edit-

I've played around with the Lucas ratio and two bottle mixes quite a bit. About the best you can do is mix Bloom and Micro in equal amounts for the flowering cycle. Without Gro, there is no combination of two bottles that provides as much 'K' as GH recommends without throwing too much 'N' or 'P' in the mix. I doubt the ratios are critical so I'd go with equal amounts of the two bottles. It isn't perfect, but...

Back
Top Bottom