Maximum pot size?

After watering, a 7 gallon fabric pot full of FFOF and a plant, will weigh about 30 lbs. A 15 gallon will weigh around 60 lbs. Do you plan on moving them around? I grow outside and I move my plants, that are in 7 gallon pots, around to get the best sunlight. I would not want to be moving 15 gallon pots around.

That's like saying you make too much money.

When I was a kid, in the '70s, they had "Christmas Clubs" at the bank (maybe still do, IDK). Most years, we didn't have the proverbial pot to p!ss in. But a couple of years, the family was able to make a $5/week deposit into one of those. I remember Mom withdrawing the money two weeks early so that the bank wouldn't pay interest on them. She was afraid it would put her and Pop into a higher tax bracket.

She meant well. Once in a while, I'll have a reason to go into her basement. Sometimes, when I do, I'll grab something that has been down there a while and bring it upstairs (she's pushing 80 and shouldn't be going down the steps). Last time, it was a gallon of windshield washer fluid with a price tag on it from a department store that had gone out of business around 1987, give or take a year. I got the usual speech when she saw me carrying it out to her car. The one about "wasting stuff." Because, IDK, maybe they didn't manufacture it for that purpose, or sell it for that purpose, and maybe she (or, more likely, my late father) didn't buy it for that purpose? I've heard lots of stories about how people often have personality and other mental changes when they turn into decrepit old farts, but... Not Mom - she's still insane :rolleyes: .

I've noticed that you do the "living soil" thing. That's far outside of my familiarity zone. But I assume the larger volume of soil makes it easier to develop and maintain the health of a "biosphere."
Correct, actually its mandatory to have at least 15 gallon pots for a Living Organic Soil No-till so you can have enough soil and compost and amendments available for the microbes, worms and bugs to break down into plant available nutrients.
Plus worms need space, cover crop needs space to create a little ecosystem.
A large pot is like a battery with lots of reserve nutrients that acts as a buffer while the worms microbes and bugs slowly trickle charge it.

With a small pot you got zero buffer so nutrients are quickly depleted and you need to replenish it from a bottle.
You could fill the bottom 3rd with a super soil that the plant can tap from.
But even that should be in at least a 10 gal pot IMO just to give some grow time and space between the roots and the hot soil.

More roots = bigger fruits

Back
Top Bottom