May Day & Outdoor Growing

It is May Day, May 1st. Half way between the Spring Equinox and the Summer Solstice.

In the northern hemisphere the length of sunlight now is the same as in early August. Come early to mid August and growers will post questions asking why their outdoor plants are starting to show pistils and blossoms as the length of sunlight drops below a level that promotes vegetative growth.

Long before we had astronomers using powerful telescopes to keep track of sunrises, sunsets and the movements of stars and constellations across the night sky there were the Celts in what is now called Britain. They recognized the importance of the days mid-way between the Equinox and the Solstice and celebrated what was the true 'first day of spring' for farmers. Maybe the Wiccans and Druids knew something that modern society is forgetting.

Farmers were seeding fields last week. We hadda snow storm last night. I think today its the start of spring.... I always use the moon for planting and harvesting. Makes it easy to remember.

Here's an quote from Mother Earth News, Jan./Feb. 1981. " Man, despite his artistic pretentions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a 6 inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains." Anonymous. I figure it's 5 by now.

Back
Top Bottom