Mayor's Dogs Killed In Drug Raid

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A Prince George's County, Maryland SWAT team raided the home of Berwyn Heights Mayor Cheye Calvo last night, shooting and killing his two black labs in the process.

"My government blew through my doors and killed my dogs," Calvo said. "They thought we were drug dealers, and we were treated as such. I don't think they really ever considered that we weren't."

Calvo described a chaotic scene, in which he -- wearing only underwear and socks -- and his mother-in-law were handcuffed and interrogated for hours. They were surrounded by the dogs' carcasses and pools of the dogs' blood, Calvo said.

Spokesmen for the Sheriff's Office and Prince George's police expressed regret yesterday that the mayor's dogs were killed. But they defended the way the raid was carried out, saying it was proper for a case involving such a large amount of drugs.

Well no, it isn't, unless there's reason to believe that the mayor, his wife, and his mother-in-law are violent people capable of killing cops who might have served the warrant in a less confrontational manner. The possibility of the mayor or his wife disposing of the drugs doesn't seem likely, either, unless the family owns an industrial-strength toilet: The raid commenced after police began tracking a package filled with 30 pounds marijuana originating in Arizona that was eventually delivered to the mayor's wife.

Local police are angry that they weren't notified first:

"You can't tell me the chief of police of a municipality wouldn't have been able to knock on the door of the mayor of that municipality, gain his confidence and enter the residence," Murphy said. "It would not have been a necessity to shoot and kill this man's dogs."

It's worth emphasizing that these were labs. Not the most intimidating dog in the world. Of course, offing the dog is almost standard procedure in these things, now.

On the other hand, maybe once a few public officials feel the brunt end of the militarized drug war, we'll get some real discussion about whether it's all really necessary.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Reason Magazine
Copyright: 2008 Reason Magazine
Website: Hit & Run > Mayor's Dogs Killed in Drug Raid - Reason Magazine

Maybe its time to have a debate about disarming our police forces. I don't think its the best answer but maybe they'll think twice before they violate someones civil rights by busting doors.

^^^
:laughtwo: Too bad I'm poor. :cheesygrinsmiley: BlackWater Worldwide would be up to the task. :smokin:

But seriously... all of the brutalities and murders the police have committed in the last while (tasers especially come to mind) are getting out of hand. Has anyone heard the Sean Bell story? In 2006 in NYC, a few police officers shot 50 bullets into this unsuspecting, unarmed man's car on his way home from his bachelor party for no apparent reason, and killed him and injured two of his friends. Sean Bell got hit with 42 or 43 shots if I remember correctly.

Sorry to go off topic there for a bit. :smokin:

But I agree, Boss, I can't even begin to describe what I would do to someone if they shot my dog, or even just harmed my dog in any way.

The only good that came out of this event is that it might be able to open their eyes, because now the "War on Drugs" has negatively affected one of them. Hopefully it will cause them to start to think.

I could hear George Dubya saying, "That could've been my Barney!"

bump sry had to comment..... wow I couldnt imagine. my dogs are my life and my best friends.. i dont think they should have the right to KILL anything,even the ASPCA can catch some of the most vicious dogs without having to kill them.. it scares me to think that they have that much power that they could walk in my house for no reason and kill my best friend without sufficent proof that I have done anything, they have tazers one good jolt and any dog would go in the oppisite direction or at least stun them enough to capture and secure... they could use a gun that shoots a dart that will put the dogs to sleep almost instantly.. so that being said I believe the law enforcement CHOOSES to kill the dogs and that a better system needs to be implimented, better proof needed to shoot a gun of any kind.. :passitleft:

That being said I believe the law enforcement CHOOSES to kill the dogs and that a better system needs to be implimented, better proof needed to shoot a gun of any kind.. :passitleft:

I totally agree, Mary. +reps for your insight. :)

Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel for Police Misconduct Complaints
(301) 883-5042

CALL THESE FUCKERS NOW AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THIS. I JUST DID. THE POOR OPERATOR HEARD ME SCREAM LIKE 'SHAQUITA SHAQUAN' OVER THE PHONE FOR A GOOD 5 MINUTES. ALL I HEARD WAS TYPING AND 'UH HUH' 'YES' 'OKAY' 'UH' OVER THE OTHER END

Back
Top Bottom