Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix

Re: Miracle-Gro® Organic Choice® Potting Mix

Wish I saw this post awhile ago.

Tried MG Organic Choice

From Lowes, and after the first watering, it looked like bark mulch. Never again!

Just ordered some FFOF from a local(ish) gardening store, takes 4 days to get here, but no one in my state sells this stuff, & no hydro stores!

Wouldnt mind learning to start with the coco until I transplant to FFOF in the future though..

I ran my first full run with MG organic, it produced great results. I still thought I could do better so I went and bought pro mix from hd. Absolutely great stuff. They come in 1.5cuft which expands to 2.5. it only runs about $12 from hd.

2011-05-23_17-54-48_346.jpg

2011-05-23_17-55-01_284.jpg

again i reiterate that mg organic worked great my first time through, but I did swithc to pro mix. just an all around better more consistent product. just my 2 cents.
:peace:

30/30 Fox Farms Ocean Forrest/Roots Organic 707 and 40% perlite. You'll never have moisture/drain problems. Plants love this mix.

Im on my first grow, just using:

50% FFOF
25% Sphagnum Peat
25% Vermiculite

So far, so good:
Transplant7.jpg

Didnt realize till after I even uploaded the pic AND posted it, that my wire was dangling above my fan :Rasta:

My only experience has been with Happy Frog and Ocean Forest. I decided to give MGOCPM a try since it's cheaper. I haven't grown in it yet but I just mixed/prepped the soil. I can say without a doubt this is not even close to Fox Farm soil. The texture kind of sucks. It's not even like dirt when you add water it's more like concrete. You must add a lot of perlite! I'd say about 3:1. I feel sorry for anyone that tried running it without perlite. They must have gotten root rot for sure! I also added a 1/4 cup of Epsoma organic pelletized lime to 2 gallons of soil. I notice the pellets melt down to water right away. Both bought at Home Depot as a one stop shop. I used an old bag of Scott's perlite without any ferts in it. I wouldn't use the Miracle Gro perlite since it has ferts and you will be adding so much to the mix. The first time I watered it I ran 6.5 water through it and the runoff was 7.1 which gives me 6.8 so i'd say the p.h. is perfect. I have a feeling the actual soil p.h. is lower because the first water probably energized the lime I put in it. Based on my experience i'd say if you can definitely get Happy Frog instead. It's not that much more considering you don't have to add any perlite to it. Also, depending on plant/bucket size i'd add perlite to Ocean Forrest. I like Happy Frog better if I could only get one, however, I always ran a 50/50 mix of HF/OF.

Update: After running water through it I realized how terrible this stuff is. I'm not even going to run it. I went and got a bag of Happy Frog instead. I hope Home Depot will take it back. The regular green bag must be better because the orange MGOCPM sucks!

I tried it with some bag seed just as an experiment. It seemed OK but I have no reason to use it again. I can get FF and other brands of soil locally for a fair price so ill just keep going that way. If you are on a budget or don't have access to anything else, MG organic WILL work though.

Back
Top Bottom