Molasses for stickier buds?

Here we go when your girls are in the flowering stage and they are showing 30% brown pistils dicontinue ALL nutes....... turn off ALL your lights for the next two weeks..... change to H2O and molasses only this will do several things for your ladies..... It will flush the nutes..... help in sweeting your final product and INCREASE your quality/yield big time. You will notice the difference trust me !! BUds are noticably bigger stickyier(is that a word?) and SWEETER
MrCloner420

hi, have a question about the tip you gave. i can see how the lights being off will make them want to bud even more and fast. but wouldn't that also effect how potent the bud is? i have only ever done indoor grows. but from some of the things i have read about outdoor grows is. it is better to harvest after you have had a couple of sunny days. then it is to harvest after it has been cloudy. that the plants should be more potent if picked after the sunny days vs. cloudy one.

wouldn't leaving the lights totally off for 2 weeks slow down growth after just a few days of no light. wouldn't the plant need light to have photosynthesis to make its energy for growth?would 2 weeks be to long?

So Weed420 your yield didn't go up? I'd rather have hard as a rock buds.....did the buds begin to stretch out, thinning?

:thanks::grinjoint:

My yield went down when I stopped using molasses.
I have never been a fan of rock hard buds. They are hard to smoke in a bowl unless you really dry them out. I prefer a little looser bud. It burns a little easier and if I keep them dried but not bone dry they will go out after each toke, which makes the bud last longer.
I've used Gravity to firm them up but didn't really like it. Just personal preference.

Again, the use of molasses during the final stages of flowering is more or less a "tricks of the trade" practiced primarily by growers with resale intentions. Pretty much the same theory as the cattle rancher who employs a "weight gain" program just prior to sellin his beef, knowing poundage is key and with our particular product, if your into product resale, poundage/weight is definitely key!

4 primary keys to getting premium "resale product" prices is: 10)Maximum size/yield 2) Weight 3) Appearance 4) Flavor. The molasses does all 4. While THC content (potency) is obviously important also, molasses doesnt really aid much in this area other than a bit of a sweeter flavor. It's simply the old capitolistic rule of thumb: The better the "look and feel" of the product, the easier it is to market and get top dollar even tho the potency may be a bit less. If you grow for personal stash only, the use of molasses can and will improve bud size. It wont make it more potent but it will make it larger. Molasses is kind of the Extenze of the growers world...LOL

Molasses mostly loads the buds with carbs, resulting in larger, heavier & tighter buds. It neither enhances nor diminishes the "high". The buds do become relatively more sticky making the bud appear to possess more trichomes than are actually present. Again, for the most part, a resale marketing strategy.

I have known a few growers who claim the use of molasses during the entire growing process enhances the effects even more. I dont necessarily agree because I cant see the actual nutritional properties and values of molasses being relative in the plant's early growth stages which is to say, the gooey mix doesnt contain the nitrogen, phosphorus or potash vital to the plant's early life. My opinion.

So, to sum up. If youre into resale, molasses is a marketing must. If youre "little johnny growin in mom's closet" so you can smoke a little while watching Scooby Do, you can get by without it but the fact it's relatively simple to use and overdoses are rare if at all and the usage benefits are certainly there in regard to greater yields, flavor and the "look"...:peace:MF

I have heard of people using molasses during the whole growth cycle and agree that it probably doesn't really help that much, plants need much more than sugars alone. I can tell you from experience, in soiless grows when you add some form of carbohydrate to the water during the flushing process that it does make a difference, giving them a last little boost before they are limited to water alone. In an organic soil grow, I kind of agree with Medifreddie that it only increases "bag appeal", since most of the nutes are in the soil already. I learned a few years back about giving your plants 36 hours of darkness, and a little ice water in the last few flushes, and that last stressing seems to do a lot more toward increasing the final resin production than the carbs alone.

Wow medifreddie, nice SWAG, why is it that those with the least knowledge come up with the most misinformed pretentiousness, try reading then make your BS analogy based on which emotion you guide your wisdom with.Damn this early sneak a toke of MK makes you speak yur mind!!!! Sorry dude I'm sure you"re really cool and knowledgeable. PEACE OUT..

Oh and medi check out the PENN ST. study 2007 turfgrass research report released JAN 08 its all about efficiency of the microorganisms that feed your plants. I don't know it, doesn't feel wrong. We all want the best. And just FYI commercial endeavors are not always evil in intent or purpose. My people LOVE and depend on me and my attention to detail and quality, in fact they demand it..

SO MEDIFREDDIE WHY WOULD you not use molasses............. I don't know about everyone else but isn't that the reason we go to all the trouble to grows these little ladies into:laugh: BIG FAT JUICY STICKY SMELLY BUDS :laugh:HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: it is organic.... almost impossible to overdose......... sweetin's the bud.... makes it heavier....increases quality and quanity....... what else can you ask of a simple natural organic product that cost pennies per application unlike MOST ALL of the other so called MIRACLE PRODUCTS there is on the market that CLAIM to do the same thing @ 50 60 dollars a qt dont know about you but makes CENTS to me :cheer:............... off the soap box over and out :)

:yummy:Stay safe and good growing!:yummy:
MrCloner420

I have only used it during the flush cycle, at each flush in decreasing amounts of concentration, with the last three days of flushing consisting of only ice water. I recently read that it should be used during the first flush, and then pure water after-wards. As far as during flower,I think in the right amount it would be OK but most nutes have carbs in them already. I have only heard of it being used feed during the flush, not as a feed or supplement to nutes. I guess it has a lot to do with other factors as well, such as Ph and your plants uptake. If you had a plant or situation that caused a carb deficiency, then I would think it would be a big help. If your plants are already getting enough nutes, adding more carbs isn't going to help, they can only process so much at one time, as far as I know.

I've alway's stuck with the normal feeding until the last 10 days or so of flowering. Thats when I would stop nutes and start with the flush, adding carbs to the water.

Wow medifreddie, nice SWAG, why is it that those with the least knowledge come up with the most misinformed pretentiousness, try reading then make your BS analogy based on which emotion you guide your wisdom with.Damn this early sneak a toke of MK makes you speak yur mind!!!! Sorry dude I'm sure you"re really cool and knowledgeable. PEACE OUT..

Dr F...Huh? Not sure how to translate your post other than I guess you dont agree. If so, rather than waste the time of readers with unimpressive & hard to understand garble, please post your personal experiences, beliefs and methods regarding the use of molasses. Perhaps we can all learn something. After all, it is what we are all here for, right? My post was based on personal experience and simply my own opinion. I DO resale and I use the molasses to buff the buds. Again, if you have personal hands on experience/knowledge regarding other molasses benefits, either pro or con, by all means please share. If you interpreted my post as being negative, bummer. It is simply informative...:peace:MF

Turf grass studies? Penn State? And your point is?

Dr F...Huh? Not sure how to translate your post other than I guess you dont agree. If so, rather than waste the time of readers with unimpressive & hard to understand garble, please post your personal experiences, beliefs and methods regarding the use of molasses. Perhaps we can all learn something. After all, it is what we are all here for, right? My post was based on personal experience and simply my own opinion. I DO resale and I use the molasses to buff the buds. Again, if you have personal hands on experience/knowledge regarding other molasses benefits, either pro or con, by all means please share. If you interpreted my post as being negative, bummer. It is simply informative...:peace:MF

Turf grass studies? Penn State? And your point is?

Well, we can all agree on one thing.....Sugar does make you fat, and your buds fat :peace:

what dosage does everybody like to use per gal. Is about 5ml. 1 tsp. Sound about right or should it be more or less?
also would it be the same for soil or soilsess? i have a soil grow and a DWC grow going on right now.

Recently I have been reading that it is best to only add carbs to the first flush, then use straight water after that, forcing the plant to use stored nutrients. I am in the process of trying that out as well. With Hydro I use to start with 2tbsp molasses added to a cup of boiling water, then added that to a gallon. The 2nd flush I would do 1tbsp per gallon, and the third I would do 1/2tbsp, etc, until I was back to straight water. When I started growing in soil, I cut the doses in half and followed the same, figuring the soil would store more vs hydro. I recently started using raw sugar instead, upping the dose, starting with 2 "healthy"tbsp and followed the same principle. The next time around I am going to do it on the first flush and watch and see if the plants ask for more food. In your DWC, make sure if you use molasses it is mixed well with the water, so you don't have a problem with your bubbler or pump.

I have heard of people using 1tsp per gallon, I have heard people say they use 1/4 cup per gallon, so I think it has a lot to do with the grow medium, the time the roots have to absorb the sugars, etc.

Good Luck, let everyone know how you make out.

You can use in hydro or soil/soiless grows .... without any problems..... HOWEVER MAKE SURE YOU GET UNSULPHURED MOLASSES..... you can get it at your local grocery store I buy BERR RABBIT BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES but any unsulphured molasses will work..... FYI if you are intersted what you are doing is feeding the natural beneficial bacteria and fungi in the root zone. They will keep your root system free of BAD fungi and bacteria and the molasses has all natural calcium iron and magnesium. one last thing DO NOT USE H2O2(Hydrogen Peroxide)based products with the molasses.... these type products will kill the BAD and The GOOD bacteria and fungi. Hope this will help everyone who is looking to use this fantastic natural tool..... Also one little tip that I learned and have found it to be one of the best tricks I have found to increase quality and yield. :rollit:
Here we go when your girls are in the flowering stage and they are showing 30% brown pistils dicontinue ALL nutes....... turn off ALL your lights for the next two weeks..... change to H2O and molasses only this will do several things for your ladies..... It will flush the nutes..... help in sweeting your final product and INCREASE your quality/yield big time. You will notice the difference trust me !! BUds are noticably bigger stickyier(is that a word?) and SWEETER.................................................... :yummy:
stay safe and Good Growing
MrCloner420

Thanks to you and everyone for the information concerning molasses... fascinating hobby this is becoming for me!

Is the molasses technique the same as using a suger/sweetner supplement?

Question for you is in regards to your comment about turning off ALL lights for the 2 weeks just prior to harvest.. I have not read or heard of this technique before now... has this been used successfully?

I read on another post here, about using ice water for the final few waterings.. any thoughts on that will be appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom