Molasses for stickier buds?

regular sulphured molasses will kill microbes not feed them.
Could be. The "regular sweet Molasses" I mentioned is not sulfured. It is the other Molasses used for cooking, baking and flavoring. Un-sulfured Blackstrap is the cooking Molasses that is bitter and its use is very specific and it should not be used unless the recipe specifically calls for it.

Back to the use for plants, both the sweet and Blackstrap are a Molasses that is not sulphur treated. The sweet comes from the second boil, contains more sugar, a lower concentration of minerals and lower levels of salts. The Blackstrap is from the 3rd boil, contains less sugar, has a higher concentration of minerals and has a higher level of salts.

It may be that the sulfured stuff will kill microbes. But Sulfur is a necessary nutrient needed by plants and it shows up on the "leaf problem" charts that are commonly used to start diagnosing problems.

The Oaksterdam University has an article on this and they say it is sulfur dioxide that kills the microbes. Reading up on this, it is the sulfur dioxide which is problem and not any sulfur itself. Also, of the 3 types of Molassess, light, dark & Blackstrap, it is possible to find all of them available in either sulfured or un-sulfured. Ripe sugar cane or sugar beets will naturally produce sweeter Molasses and the sugar itself is a preservative.

Choices, choices, which Molasses to use.;)

I bought all those different molasses to make my BBQ taste different. If I add a blended mix of different molasses will it have a similar impact of a more rounded smoke flavor profile?
I believe there is truly something beyond the sweet taste of molasses that transcends sugars or minerals. I can replace both the mineral content and the sugars of molasses but, I can't practically replace the taste of molasses.
The general consensus is that adding flavorings to the soils or waters will not affect the taste of the flower buds. In this case it is the sugars in the Molasses that will cause an explosion in the numbers of microbes. The microbes will affect the growth of the flowers producing quantity and quality.

Could be. The "regular sweet Molasses" I mentioned is not sulfured. It is the other Molasses used for cooking, baking and flavoring. Un-sulfured Blackstrap is the cooking Molasses that is bitter and its use is very specific and it should not be used unless the recipe specifically calls for it.

it's always sulphured unless it specifically states otherwise on the carton

Choices, choices, which Molasses to use

only use unsulphered. otherwise it's really just a flavourant.

The general consensus is that adding flavorings to the soils or waters will not affect the taste of the flower buds. In this case it is the sugars in the Molasses that will cause an explosion in the numbers of microbes. The microbes will affect the growth of the flowers producing quantity and quality.

the amount of sulphur in the regular molasses is far too high for most microbes. the plant itself will uptake some, and the molasses won't kill off the majority in an organic or los grow, but it will essentially negate any added or promoted microbial growth in a hydro based media.

edit : to make it simple. blackstrap or nothing. blackstrap by definition is always supposed to be unsulphered. always check to be certain. some shit slick marketing in the US may try to get around that. in the UK and canada it's straight forward.

to make it simple. blackstrap or nothing.
I went with nothing a couple of years ago.

I tried several different ones from light and dark to Blackstrap for growing and felt it was not worth the trouble. I tried it on plants in the basement and on some flowers and vegetables outside and again felt is was not worth it.

Wife is making a chocolate chip and catch-all cookie which does not call for molasses as we type away. She might soak a cup of raisins in Rum and that is often made with Molasses. So what is left in the jar on the kitchen shelf is safe for another baking project.

I went with nothing a couple of years ago.

I tried several different ones from light and dark to Blackstrap for growing and felt it was not worth the trouble. I tried it on plants in the basement and on some flowers and vegetables outside and again felt is was not worth it.

it's a super old school way to do it. it's grandma's approach for sure. dirty secret : - most additives like bud candy etc, are only a molasses derivative. you can replace all "sugar" additives with molasses.

Wife is making a chocolate chip and catch-all cookie which does not call for molasses as we type away. She might soak a cup of raisins in Rum and that is often made with Molasses. So what is left in the jar on the kitchen shelf is safe for another baking project.

regular molasses was originally a baking sweetener and preservative. the sulphur would kill anything that would eat the baked product, and make it shelf stable without refrigeration. it does it by killing the microbes you wanted to keep. it was prized for a couple centuries for this exact property.

blackstrap is used when the final product was to be consumed a bit quicker. it adds a deeper flavour, and is considered a live product. there is more concentrated sugar as well, although the surface flavour can be more bitter than sweet.

Back
Top Bottom