Molasses for stickier buds?

Funny to read some members describing molasses as a super magical ingredient that will make your flowers, HEAVIER, STICKIER and MORE FLAVORFUL, seriously?
I do use molasses, but I feed my girls weekly with compost teas in order to feed the living bacterias. I add it in conjunction with other organic nutrients. I am also using Aloe Very from Lily of the desert
Peace

:Namaste:
The Little Amazon Welcomes All Visitors!
IMG_0302210.JPG

SIDE BY SIDE EXPERIMENT.
LAST TWO WEEK FLUSH.
4 plants
3 will use 1 table per gal
1 will not use any.

Will b followed by taste test soon.

image23389.jpg
image23390.jpg

It Vince to get the wholesome brand but they r hard to find. Seen many at hydro places but too far. Wholesome is good because the
Potassium is 4 times more than brer and have 0 or way less sodium ,

I'll keep us updated.

even if this is a old thread, i have to chime in on it. I've been organically gardening for 30+ years now and use molasses regularly in the garden.. my father and grandfather also used it. but molasses isn't a fert. its concentrated sugar and some micro nutrients. you must mix it with nutes, water and a fungal supplement like great white and let it ferment w/ a bubbler for at least 48 hrs to get the benefits of it. molasses feed the fungi and bactiria that are attached to the plants rootball helping it to increase nutrient uptake increasing yields and nutrient profile of the plant improving flavor, wether its weed or tomatoes. too much will bring in bugs and bottom out ph causing root rot! its very concentrated! i use 1/4 tsp. per gal. throughout he grow. i wouldn't spray on leaves as the sugar makes it taste sweet for any bugs or animals that may want a taste. the micronutrients may have some benefit tho. only works on soil and coco, tho. coco might not be as good as its flushed at every watering but some will remain on the roots. for organic soil grows its fantastic. hope this helps clear things up. happy growing!

I was told that if you add just enough molasses to the water to darken it slightly and use it in the last 6 weeks of flowering that you will have stickier and heavier buds. Is this true or should I avoid it?:smokin:

I found a much better product than molasses that works amazingly!! Boogie Brew Brix - 1 tsp per gallon during watering once a week. Partnered with Boogie Brew tea throughout the grow season, once a week. During flowering I add Earth Juice Rainbow Pro Bloom mix to my soil top based by height of plant. Throughout the flowering weekly I add more rainbow mix (1 tsp per gallon) to my finalize brew tea. Partnered with my bloom Massive Bloom from Green Planet.

It has been over 4 years since anyone has stirred this pot.
I will start by saying I am deep into my second grow of weeds. I am growing and have extra time for a little discovery search. I have had some sort of garden most years since 1980.
I have been learning tons about growing these flowers since April 4, 2020 (seriously).
Molasses has been around for about 2500 years.
As best I can find out, sometime far more recent, it was discovered that adding molasses back onto the cane fields increased yields quality, yada yada. Molasses is not new to gardening.
Like so many things in the recreational marijuana real good information is like lots of cannon fodder to work through to find the clue you need.
The lack of understanding of molasses is as bad as it gets. I don't have all the answers but I had lots of questions so, I began my search...in my kitchen pantry.
Years ago I got into making my own BBQ sauce. I went to my grocery stores and found 4 different bottles. I read the labels. Potassium! Potassium! Potassium! Eureka iI found potassium varied from 325, 450, 600 mg/tbls (21 grams?). That is a 100% difference in potassium, why?
Sulphured vs. unsulphured: Early harvested cane is often treated with sulfur-dioxed gas to prevent soiling as it sits waiting to be processed. The later season more mature crop is processed more immediately and therefore needs no preservative. The later more mature cane has a higher nutrient profile than the younger crop. The unsulphured product has way more minerals like potassium and iron etc. I did not verify but I assume the other mineral nutrients improved as well. Higher mineral content is why we use unsulfured molasses. I read that we should not use sulfured molasses because sulfur-dioxide will kill microbes. SO2 is a gas that disappeared even before the cane was boiled for hours. There is no sulfur-dioxide in any molasses. Unsulphured is safe to use you just need more.
How much to use? You should read the label as it concerns potassium. The bottles I have vary from 110- a whopping 600mg/potassium per tablespoon (21 grams). I compared the amount of potassium to someones feed chart like the one from NPK Industries. They recommend patassium @
0 .5 grams/gallon weeks 1-4 veg.
0.95 grams weeks 1-3 in flower
1.9 grams weeks 4 -7 flower (repeat as needed for extended grows)
Only molasses for the last week
While they are adding this as potassium they are also adding cane molasses (dry). I don't know the makeup of this dry product, more math. A little Kentucky Windage should get you the rest.
Feed the microbes? This is the what I believe (opinion) is the intentionally confounding factor of sugars feeding microbes. It should be a separate as a separate story but, that would not be so confusing. Microbes can eat table sugar cheaper. Biology of microbes takes time and molasses works in all growth media, even those considered to be without microbes like in hydro.

p.s. When I cook or bake I often use a variety of sources for one single ingredient. Example: I make baklava and will use 3 or 4 different cinnamons because it gives a more full flavor profile hitting as many taste receptors a possible. I truly makes a difference. I do the same thing with black pepper, there is a wide variety of flavors in the black pepper we all use. I bought all those different molasses to make my BBQ taste different. If I add a blended mix of different molasses will it have a similar impact of a more rounded smoke flavor profile?
I believe there is truly something beyond the sweet taste of molasses that transcends sugars or minerals. I can replace both the mineral content and the sugars of molasses but, I can't practically replace the taste of molasses.

Just one and make sure it's blackstrap molasses. Black strap means that it has been filtered 3 times.ered

he'll need to reach back 13 yrs to get your answer .. at least you got there for him

Blackstrap is also boiled three times, which makes it more concentrated.

not just blackstrap ... it has to be unsulphered. sulphered molasses is just a flavourant and adds nothing.

Hiya @Clyde714 :welcome:

see you've only got a couple posts in .. why not drop by the intro thread and say hello to everyone. join in the fun. :)

intro sub :

Blackstrap is also boiled three times, which makes it more concentrated.
Yep, the third boiling is what produces Blackstrap. Most of the sweet Molasses (stuff not labeled Blackstrap) is from the second boiling. Not sure about any filtering, though.

But from what I have read about it, Blackstrap has less sugar than the standard Molasses. Without the sugars it has a bitter taste so it is a specialty for selected cooking recipes. And, since it has less sugar than the regular stuff I would be thinking that it has less to feed the soil micro-organisms and that defeats part of the reason for using Molasses.

Blackstrap, because it has been boiled more, does have a higher concentration of minerals and that makes it a plus for gardening.

Blackstrap also has more salts than the regular sweet Molasses. I don't know whether the amounts of salts are enough to be of concern but it kept coming up in the articles.

Gotta take the good with the bad.

Hiya @Clyde714 :welcome:

see you've only got a couple posts in .. why not drop by the intro thread and say hello to everyone. join in the fun. :)

intro sub :
Trying, not good with gadgets. Type and think it post's but doesn't. Starting to think I'm spending too much time with this and not my ladies

Blackstrap also has more salts than the regular sweet Molasses. I don't know whether the amounts of salts are enough to be of concern but it kept coming up in the articles.

regular sulphured molasses will kill microbes not feed them.

Back
Top Bottom