Mold

I guess I represent a different view of mold. I’m not so worried about it, at least not as a health concern, or something that needs to be quarantined. I do see it quite a lot cause I live somewhere very humid.

Re the question though- mold is a fungus of course- it grows in the buds and when it reaches maturity it sends out spores, the fungi version of seeds.
You’re not going to wash away the actual mold. Best to remove that beforehand- should be easily visible if you’re looking for it.

As for the spores- I can’t say if they’ll all be washed away or not. Probably some will/some won’t. I’m sure it will help a lot.

But I wouldn’t worry about a few spores. The health concerns are way overblown. The common budrot variety, botrytis, isn’t much of a threat to us, other than wrecking our buds of course :eek: Though of course it’s a personal choice if you just hate the idea of spores in your bud and want to toss it all out.

As for the spores infecting the grow- yes of course that is what spores do, but trying to remove all spores from your grow and quarantine things is gonna be impossible. They’re pretty much everywhere in the air at all times, same as bacteria. The fungus can produce 60,000 or more spores on a piece of plant tissue the size of your small fingernail. And all it takes is one spore...

The practical solution is to improve conditions so mold can’t thrive - ie lower the humidity and increase airflow.

Back
Top Bottom