Moving plants from pots to earth

I'mOne

My pineapple thai plants were looking good and drinking lots, I decided to move them to the dirt. They were in my home made soil and just beginning to flower. Lower leaves yellowing slightly..I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake. The dirt was very heavy and clay like in the bottoms of the holes? I out some earthworm compost around them and watered profusely to settle the soil. I think I may need to hoe around them to loose the oil and maybe add mulch? Any thoughts?

The clay may be good along now since it holds water, plus it’s hot as ever. I’m pretty sure oil (in last sentence) is not good as grow media - ha, ha, on the typo. Yes sir break that soil up really well, mulch cover is good stuff as long as it’s aged mulch. If mulch is not well aged then it can tie up nitrogen to aid in decomposition

Yeah the clay is your nutrients in the ground and the reason we add a lot of rock dust (basalt) to our potting mix.

How big do you make your hole?

I transplant and move plants in containers outside when the daylight hours are around 14 light and 10 dark. That was a few weeks ago where we live.

I try not to do anything to plants that are pre-flowering. I keep mine in VEG before I put them outside.

I usually have some in the ground and some in containers outdoors. My in the ground plants dont get as large as the plants in containers so far for me. Prolly the soil is my issue. Need bigger deeper holes. I need a bigger tractor.

The clay may be good along now since it holds water, plus it’s hot as ever. I’m pretty sure oil (in last sentence) is not good as grow media - ha, ha, on the typo. Yes sir break that soil up really well, mulch cover is good stuff as long as it’s aged mulch. If mulch is not well aged then it can tie up nitrogen to aid in decomposition
On the mulch taking nitrogen, Yes that is true, mostly when mixed into the soil not so much when used as a top dressing to help hold in moisture. A bigger issue with fresh mulch is bugs. If you are going to use mulch that is fresh treat it with some Diatomaceous Earth.

To use the term mulches remove nitrogen from the soil is a little off !

It is like saying all mulches do this & clearly not the case :thumb:

Whilst some do like fresh wood chip which is temporary bind on nitrogen whilst soil bacteria breaks the wood chip down.

Straw is another but requires nitrogen to break down due to composition of being high carbon plant matter.

Ye some science related stuff.

How ever well rotted manures of various descriptions work very well as they contain low level NPK & micro nutrients which will help feed your plants & improve you soil condition over time.

To use the term mulches remove nitrogen from the soil is a little off !

It is like saying all mulches do this & clearly not the case :thumb:

Whilst some do like fresh wood chip which is temporary bind on nitrogen whilst soil bacteria breaks the wood chip down.

Straw is another but requires nitrogen to break down due to composition of being high carbon plant matter.

Ye some science related stuff.

How ever well rotted manures of various descriptions work very well as they contain low level NPK & micro nutrients which will help feed your plants & improve you soil condition over time.

Yes I should have been more specific, I was referring to wood mulch.

T be honest the hole was a couple inches on each side larger than the pots. And the same depth as the pots. I should have went bigger maybe but it was extremely hot and i was sweating dammit....and i don't have no tractor..just me and my shovel, Fred.
In Michigan i dig my holes 3 feet deep and 2 feet wide add 1 bag of Mc3 medium and my outsiders are 10 foot tall at 16 weeks

Back
Top Bottom