Mr. Lucky: Obama's Drug Use Could Have Sunk Him

Obama: Will He Keep His Word About MMJ Raids?

• Yes

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Just Another Lying Politician

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Barack Obama made history by becoming the first major party's presidential nominee with an identifying trait that once would have automatically disqualified him for the job.

No, I'm not talking about his African American heritage-- I'm taking about his past illegal drug use. Not just of who-cares marijuana, but of coca*ne, a drug that carries a felony penalty in many states. It's both encouraging and appalling that he's getting a pass for doing something that has gotten thousands of other Americans thrown in jail.

As Obama blithely acknowledges in his autobiography, he used drugs for a while, didn't like them, quit and moved on. No harm done-- not to himself, anyone around him nor, obviously, his career prospects. Same goes for newly installed New York Governor David Paterson, who has also admitted to smoking weed and sniffing bl*w.

Neither case seems like a big deal in a country where, according to the federal government's own figures, more than 35 million Americans have tried coca*ne at least once, and nearly 98 million have sampled marijuana or hashish. Once, confessing to toking was enough to scuttle Douglas Ginsberg's nomination for a Reagan-era US Supreme Court seat. Things had clearly loosened up by the time Bill Clinton's hilarious claim that he "didn't inhale" was considered an adequate fig leaf. By George W. Bush's candidacy, we were ready to excuse his past pot use; the only issue was whether he had done coca*ne. Now, we give such indulgences a wink and a shrug.

Except, that is, for that minority of drug users who get caught. Thanks to harsh mandatory minimum sentencing and "Three Strikes" type laws, the number of Americans locked up for narcotics offenses has exploded in the last 20 years. There are now an estimated 500,000 people locked up for drug crimes-- more than the total of all prisoners in 1980.

Most of them aren't exactly kingpins, either. A federal survey found that more than half of all state prisoners doing time for drug offenses had no record of violence or high-level drug involvement; 43 percent were convicted of simple possession. Over 40,000 people nationwide are locked up on marijuana charges.

And as much as Obama's ascendancy shows how far we've come as a nation toward genuine racial equality, the way we're waging the War on Drugs shows how far we still have to go. The recent roundup of San Diego State students made headlines not because it's shocking that college kids take drugs, but because it was so exceptional for middle-class white kids to be arrested for doing so.

Study after study has shown that blacks are more likely than whites to be arrested, convicted, and given longer sentences for drug offenses. A report released in April by the Washington, DC-based Sentencing Project found that since 1980, the rate of drug arrests in the nation's largest cities increased by 225 percent for African Americans, while that for whites grew by only 70 percent. A Human Rights Watch report the same month found that African Americans are more than ten times as likely to be sent to prison on drug charges than whites. All this, even though federal government surveys show that whites use drugs at the same rate blacks do.

Of course, many drug offenders have committed other crimes. Many are dealers. Many deserve to be locked up. But many, many others are no different than the young Barack Obama, or millions of other Americans like him-- curious kids experimenting with intoxicants for kicks. They just had the bad luck to get arrested and charged.

If an undercover cop had happened to be among Obama's party buddies back in his wild days, it's a safe bet he wouldn't be where he is now. Who knows what other potential activists, teachers, and leaders we have derailed by throwing so many people in jail? Obama's example proves that by locking up so many petty drug users, we all lose.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Hook
Copyright: 2008 Better Publications LLC
Website: The Hook - ESSAY- Mr. Lucky: Obama's drug use could have sunk him

Great post! Now if he will just solute the flag of this country, he might stand a better chance of being elected to run it!
That's the only problem I have with him. Too many have fought and died defending what he won't even acknowledge. How can you lead a country who's flag you don't believe in?

You really think he doesnt respect the flag? Just more propaganda working it's wonders :)

He was caught on camera not even holding his hand over his heart and saying the pledge of allegiance, while everyone else was.
That just burned me up to see that!

So you think that someone running for the presidency has no respect for our country or flag. There are better ways to show patriotism then not raising your hand to your heart.. Bush raises his hand every time,. fuck him and his definition of patriotism, and all those that use this term to separate people from the truth.

I gave up my membership in Vietnam Veterans of America because I could no longer pledge allegance to the flag, which is done before each meeting. I hope for the day when I once again can.

The hand on the heart thing is a tradition and not a law. I agree this is just propaganda. As previously stated... bush covers his heart, wears flag pins (so did hitler) gives lip service to his patriotism all while pissing on the constitution. I still think we should impeach the bastard.

how many of us respect/care enough about our country to makeonweself and the family a target [screw spelling] by running for public office

how many avgerage folks who get a chance at top level connections
ie ivy league education etc don't go wall street and top corporate but do community work and public office

the guys got it as my mom and i thought when he got the chance at 2004 dems conv to speak

my gut reaction then was he was the up and coming talent/ speaker...

we just thought he wouldn't get the chance till 2012 or later

maybe he'll have the balls to push for new hearings on pot's status and medically based policy on drugs if he gets the top job but first he's got to get elected.....

Well...I solute the flag only because of the men on the ground bleeding and dieing and the ones before them who have served and died as well as all the vet's out there...I do this purely out of respect for them as a show of thanks for what they have sacrificed...It's never been about the government for me...just those poor souls and them alone! That flag is represented in battle and for me symbolizes that in my heart...I don't give a rats ass what Bush or any other government official does it for! Those fighting men have my respect, not government men!

By the way guys..I will be voting for Obama...just thought I'd mention that, because I didn't before and should have.
He has the God given right to view the flag in any way he wants...that's his right decide for him self as an American, as cannabis should be for the millions of us, just as freedom of speech and religion should be.
John Walters and company wants people to believe that honor solely belongs to them...IT DOES NOT!!!
John McCain is not even an option, because he would probably give those SOB's even more power to ruin lives...he is a product of the Lindon B Johnson era, which by the way George W Bush is nothing more than a carbon copy of.
Personally I like Obama, if nothing else, for the fact that he himself is an ex-drug user, which just makes him human, if you ask me.
I think that the way the people forgave him of his prior drug use, is a testament of the true feelings about drugs in this country, so in that respect, we may need to really start buckling down on our message, because the time may really be near after all! I for see a very large party in the streets of our nation! :partyboy::adore::clap::rofl::cheesygrinsmiley::grinjoint::smokin::yummy::Rasta: :roorrip:

I'm voting for Obama. I fail to understand why his 57 states remark is still going around. Of course he knows how many states there are. Geeez! McCain is all for a war but didn't even know who we are fighting in Iraq until he was reminded. I guess if there was something of substance to attack him with then the 57 states thing would have disappeared. Mac is so far out of touch with the people. If he wasn't an ex-pow we wouldn't even know who he is. While I thank him for his service it doesn't take heroisim to get captured.

Yep...I commend McCain for surviving the hell of torture and isolation, but he only has that one card to play, there are alot of POW's out there and I love every one of them, but am I going to elect them to run our country based on their POW status? Hell no!
We need someone who will look out for what's best for this country and the people in it.
Although Obama is lighter on drug policy, I'm still not convinced he is the right man for the job either...he is just the only hope we might have for change.
I want so bad to just write Ron Paul's name down on the ballot, but it would just be a wasted vote, and I want mine to count. So I'm going with Obama as well, even though, something in my gut tells me that he is not right for it either.
I wish the libertarians would just produce a viable candidate for a change...something has got to give either way!

Obama is the one yes in a matrix kind of way. I feel we are all in the matrix our government sucks all of our money rather than energy. We are given just enough to keep us going and no more. The feds expand their power every day they take and they give. They take from us and give to the corporations. I feel it is time for us to rise up and let them know we can see what they are doing, and we want it stopped. We need to take back our country so, For the People by the People, will mean something again. In our struggle many of us turn to drugs for a little help. MJ is the most non-benign effective drug out there. Yet our representatives tell us if you use that we will put you in jail.

I say we must ban together as a World and tell them to kiss our ass! I hear our children in jail 40,000 for MJ use they are afraid. Assigned a cellmate that is a repeat rapist and has killed in prison. They are victimized and raped every day. Our government replies to my emails by saying, "The legalization of MJ would send the wrong message to our youth." I suppose they feel putting our children is jail making them felons and releasing them after living with a rapist/murderer for five years will make them better citizens. We must vote and change the system I will fight it until the day I die you can bet on it.

Look deep if you wish, then you will see the truth vote for Obama. We will fix the system, He is the One!

If an undercover cop had happened to be among Obama's party buddies back in his wild days, it's a safe bet he wouldn't be where he is now. Who knows what other potential activists, teachers, and leaders we have derailed by throwing so many people in jail? Obama's example proves that by locking up so many petty drug users, we all lose.

I love the last paragraph of this article. It's so true, if just one tiny incident involving law enforcement had taken place, he would not be hear today about to kick the shit out of McCain!

That aside, this was just a great article all around. Besides the staggering number of non-violent drug users in prison we could consider the recent uprising of nation wide drug acceptance a feat. But clearly we still have a long way to go to protect those respectable citizens still using drugs and having their lives crumble before them for possession charges.

those convicted of felonies have lost their voting rights so that is a lot of pot smokers who won't be able to vote. and the majority of them are black. considering the low voter turn out most years it can make a difference. but 'they' couldn't be that evil, could 'they'?

Back
Top Bottom