My Drying Room

HigherDrifter

I'm using some Radiant Barrier/OSB to make my "dry room". This stuff was cheaper than the regular OSB and plywood of the same thickness, plus, the Radiant Barrier should help to keep things cooler.

Cut all the pieces hoping they'd wedge tight between the concrete and the awning, but, that wasn't always enough so I used cardboard to make the wedge tighter.

It's not done yet. I've only got four of the necessary ten panels cut, but here's what I've got done so far:

DryRoomPan_2.jpg

DryRoomPan_1.jpg

Getting too hot.:phew: It's 104 degress F outside right now. Might even get hotter.

I'll work on it some more tomorrow.

Right now, I'm baking some bread...

Gonna kick back for a spell...

:thumb:

Looks good. I need to make a dry room too, planning to use my garage and use panda film to block off a corner. This is my first time, should I worry about odor? What's the optimal temp/rh for a drying room?

This is my first time, should I worry about odor?

I would think so, if you've got neighbors who might make an issue out of it.

What's the optimal temp/rh for a drying room?

I dunno.

70~80 degrees F, RH @ 40~50%....just a guess.

I don't think there's an end-all, be-all optimal temp/rh for a drying room.

Darker the better, good ventilation,....

I dunno.

Hmmm....:hmmmm:

Here's what I've got done so far.....

DryRoomPan_34567.jpg

If need be (in a pinch) I could go ahead and use the room as-is.

There are several other things that I have to think about...like, I dunno, making some kind of frame/wedge thingy to take care of those panels that aren't even coming in contact with the awning above...

As it is right now - it's blocking, I'd say better than 75% of the ambient light. If I chose to leave the panels as they are right now I could always get some black plastic sheeting to cover things up.

Ventilation shouldn't be too much of a problem. I could always stick a box fan in there to cool and/or dry things up a bit.

I'm keeping my options open at the moment...see how things work out. Not in too big a hurry.

Got that Thermo/RH sensor in there to give me a better idea as to the conditions inside the room.

This thing is pretty much done. I've got 9 of the 10 panels wedged in tight that they're pretty much "stationary". The last one remains "mobile" (it's kinda like the "door") and I've got that piece of wood locking it in place above (pic's at the very bottom all the way to the right).

All I've got left to do is string up some mason line for hangin the branches.

DryRoomDone_1.jpg
DryRoomDone_2.jpg

I think I've blocked enough light...? I dunno.

Does it really have to be completely dark for the best drying results?

Back
Top Bottom