Radogast's 2018 Basement Adventure

All this talk about reading... I love to read. Switched to mainly all science and non-fiction adventure/smuggling stories these last few years.

You folks running Doc's kit, what are you doing with the soil after you chop your plants? Leave the roots in the pot to decompose or ....??

Rad some plants take a little while to get going. I have a plant now that was nothing until day 50 of flower. Those Blue Dream I'm running now don't have hardly any trichomes @ 40 days. They will come around. Sometimes a little later that we like.
Take the rootball out of the pot, pull the stalk out and break the ball up in a bin. Get 6 rootballs together (if you run 7s) and then add some more EWC and amendment, mix together and place back in your bins and then water in to cook for another 30 days.

You folks running Doc's kit, what are you doing with the soil after you chop your plants? Leave the roots in the pot to decompose or ....??

Take the rootball out of the pot, pull the stalk out and break the ball up in a bin. Get 6 rootballs together (if you run 7s) and then add some more EWC and amendment, mix together and place back in your bins and then water in to cook for another 30 days.

Don't tell anyone, but I know a guy who might be lazy enough to just cut the old rootball out and plop another one right in there. Sometimes, he even reuses the old soil without amending or cooking.

It seems like it works better if you do it the right way, but the difference isn't all obvious n stuff. This soil really IS the tits, Bo - f'n indestructible. And man ... when it's doing its thing in the bins when the atmosphere is just right ... whew ... it's scary ... it's aliVE ... gobbles up anything you put in there. I feel intrusive when I open the lid. It exhales on me, I swear. And there's private stuff going on, y'know? Like it all stops, exhales at me, and waits to see what the hell I want.

Dunno ... it's spooky. :bongrip:

We should call it dragon soil - reminds me of a dank lair - the kind that gives a higher being an odd chill, that tingle between the shoulder blades ...

We should call it dragon soil - reminds me of a dank lair - the kind that gives a higher being an odd chill, that tingle between the shoulder blades ...

My soil has yet to show that writhing vigor you describe.

This morning I noticed my Carnival, 48 days in the flower area, is starting to form rails.

Don't tell anyone, but I know a guy who might be lazy enough to just cut the old rootball out and plop another one right in there. Sometimes, he even reuses the old soil without amending or cooking.

It seems like it works better if you do it the right way, but the difference isn't all obvious n stuff. This soil really IS the tits, Bo - f'n indestructible. And man ... when it's doing its thing in the bins when the atmosphere is just right ... whew ... it's scary ... it's aliVE ... gobbles up anything you put in there. I feel intrusive when I open the lid. It exhales on me, I swear. And there's private stuff going on, y'know? Like it all stops, exhales at me, and waits to see what the hell I want.

Dunno ... it's spooky. :bongrip:

Pretty much how I do it. I add a few amendments tho. If I leave the root ball in the pot after chop for a few days say 3-5 days. Then all I need to do is give the stem thats left a good twist and pull. I smallish main root stem about 3-4" and a little ball is all thats left. Dig a bit more out and drop anther plant in there. The rest of the pot that had the original root system in there is already composted.

I have a bin like you. Have you ever tried so Bokashi in that bin??? Sprinkle some on top and put the lid back on. Wait a 3-4 days and woah! Another good one is sprinkle some Neem Cake in there. Wow...

All that life is good for the plant party! Turns all those minerals in the soil into soluble plant food. Don't even have to do anything.

Carnival is looking mighty fine there Rad. Thats not one of those Polyploids is it??

Kinda sorta looks like one.

Pretty much how I do it. I add a few amendments tho. If I leave the root ball in the pot after chop for a few days say 3-5 days. Then all I need to do is give the stem thats left a good twist and pull. I smallish main root stem about 3-4" and a little ball is all thats left. Dig a bit more out and drop anther plant in there. The rest of the pot that had the original root system in there is already composted.

I have a bin like you. Have you ever tried so Bokashi in that bin??? Sprinkle some on top and put the lid back on. Wait a 3-4 days and woah! Another good one is sprinkle some Neem Cake in there. Wow...

All that life is good for the plant party! Turns all those minerals in the soil into soluble plant food. Don't even have to do anything.

Carnival is looking mighty fine there Rad. Thats not one of those Polyploids is it??

Kinda sorta looks like one.

I've never seen root devoring soil in basements... sigh ... someday.

That Carnival is a forest of medium small buds, a bit less than average, but coming off months of no harvests, I'm happy to have her :) She is not polyploid as far as I've noticed - just more of a rosette shaped bud than a cola shaped bud.

My soil has yet to show that writhing vigor you describe.

This morning I noticed my Carnival, 48 days in the flower area, is starting to form rails.

Man she is looking nice there rad great job buddy glad to hear ur getting some ready for harvest bet ur happy lol soil looks to be doing pretty well for u cant wait to start seeing some more pretty ladies all nice and lined up lol what r u running for strains in the garden now its been alil bit since i been in here for more then a quick pop in i forgot lol but yea man congrats on the rails u got on tht carnival man shes a pretty one thts for sure.

Man she is looking nice there rad great job buddy glad to hear ur getting some ready for harvest bet ur happy lol soil looks to be doing pretty well for u cant wait to start seeing some more pretty ladies all nice and lined up lol what r u running for strains in the garden now its been alil bit since i been in here for more then a quick pop in i forgot lol but yea man congrats on the rails u got on tht carnival man shes a pretty one thts for sure.
Currently in flower, I'm running some of last years strains: Carnival(sue), Delicatessen Lilly, and Ace Guawi.
Currently in veg, a pair of Bobrown strains: Devil's Tit and ...ooops gotta go!

Flower Area Update

This morning was a Brix foliar spray day (a week overdue) so I drug the girls out of the flower area for photos and spray.

Carnival - 53 days

This girl started in osmocote+ and perlite and was transplanted into soil. She is cannabalizing her leaves but I forgive her after the life she led.

The top nugs are an average size for a Carnival. They might grow a bit more:)

You would think from the pistil colors of these lower buds that she was done, but her trichomes are clear and well formed. In last year's grow, I harvested Carnival between 68 and 77 days.

Carnival - 71 days

A scrawny little osmocote+ perlite plant, the best of the bunch.

The nugs are tiny. At 71 days they don't look in the harvest window, but I'll be taking her in a few days because I need the space for a Devil' Tit drinking water every 2 days and pushing against the veg area lights.

Lilly - 71 days

Another Osmocote to HiBrix soil girl, Lilly had a hard life too

Her buds are about the size and shape I expect, she's just a smaller plant. She is very sticky. I touched a bud and my fingers looked like I had been handling old duct tape.

At 71 days, Lilly, despite being 93% Sativa, is in her harvest window. Her trichomes are clear, but several of the trichome stalks are elongated and kinked. I'll harvest soon. - I guess osmocote Carnival gets a few more days to ripen, I can tuck the larger Devil's Tit into space opened up by Lilly's harvest.

Guawi - 62 days

Osmocote Guawi has lasted longer than I expected, mostly because had free space under the lights and she is my oldest hempy.

I don't think she will make it to harvest next month (her mother went 93 days.) But s... he might get a chance to ripen her 2-3 grams of bud, her PVC pipe squeezes into small spaces.

Guawi - 25 days

Osmocote Guawi's clone, is a lot larger than her mother. She went into the flower area at 28" tall and has stretched to over 50" tall. She is probably almost done wth her stretch. Scratched worm castings and recharge nutrient bits into the top inch of soil today. I'll water them in tomorrow on watering day.

Guawi doesn't grow the big leaves and she doesn't get me high, but everyone else loves her:)

Lilly - 21 days

This Lilly is only 30" high, she is putting more energy into flowering than into stretch. She also got worm castings and recharge nutrients today.

I'm very happy with this plant. Well behaved, and very sativa dominant Sativa

Ace - 21 days

I think this is Haze x Kali China- It's labelled and I know it's an Ace strain. She has more stretch than I've had before out of Haze x Kali China

Her shape is wind blown because she sits next to the back fan. I was going to move her forward,but she has adapted to the constant wind, so why shape another girl this way?

The third girl to get worm castings and recharge today, I think she is about to settle into flower production.

All in all, I'm very happy with the flower area this month.

The new soil girls are getting that DBHBB sheen. Did your new Lilly reveg at some point? She's got a lot of 3 fingered leaves.

There was a time this winter/spring in which all my clones were revegging in the cloner, at first because of T5 bulb failures, then shaded by a plant, then for no reason I could understand.

I have a Carnival and a Lilly about 7 weeks old that revegged in the cloner. I was able to get a Carnival clone that didn't reveg and tossed out the revegging Carnival that I cloned. I have NOT been able to get a clone of the reveg Lilly: two cuttings died and two more Lilly cuttings have been in the clone bucket for about 4 weeks and haven't sent down roots yet. I'll keep trying.

The Lilly I harvested tonight was also a reveg girl. A seedy harvest, a 20+ gram harvest, but as this is my first harvest all year,a great harvest :)
:theband::cheer::theband: Happy Days are here again ! :theband::cheer::theband:

If you really like OC+ you should try it in soil instead of perlite. My first grow was OC+ in plain soil and had good results.

I'm not so much a fan of OC+ as I was conducting an experiment to find out it there was an alternative to 'cooking' my soil in a heated area during cold winters. Once I rearranged the veg area a bit to make space for a rain barrel full of 'cooking' High Brix soil, I'm back to Doc Bud's high Brix nutrients and plan to stay on them .

Since I posted this on BlazingJones' wall,

The shop is coming together nicely. :) :cheer::yahoo:

Painting (13 colors?) is 98% complete. Needs touchup here and there.

Furnishing is 85% complete. Needs another rug shampoo, another furniture delivery, some glass display shelves in cabinets, etc.

Plumbing, cabinetry, and electrical upgrades are 90% complete. Security cameras need mounting. Lattice display wall needs trim painted and cut. Cabinetry needs kick plate installed.

Decorating is 50% complete. Pictures need hanging. More silks to be installed on the ceiling.

Inventory is about 50% arrived, tagged, and entered into the computer.

Tomorrow's push for me is completing the painting and lattice display wall,packing up the supplies, and starting to mount security cameras.

The wife and friends will be decorating and setting out merchandise.

Back
Top Bottom