My First Grow Ever - Ebb & Flow Hydro Grow Romulan Chem 4 Qrazy Train HI Kush

Re: My first grow ever. Ebb and flow hydro grow Romulan Chem 4 Qrazy Train HI Kush

Isn't gravel harder than hydroton? I use clay balls which I think is the same thing, but I do know they fragment fairly easily, but it'd still take a strong current to lift them up off the root chamber floor over the spill pipe, down to the res, then be dragged into the pump's filter. More than I think my pump is capable of creating. Don't really know all the forces at work in your system, but you have a good idea and can determine if you think that is what's happening.

Is there any way you can isolate the 2 plants that are having the deficiency/lockout issue? No point in denying everyone else the good nutrient solution when only 2 are having troubles, especially when a misdiagnosis could be harmful to everyone else in the series. Maybe you can make a 2nd control bucket to meet out the flush, while the primary continues the feeding schedule. IMO, this would be a cheap solution and would greatly reduce exposure to the other plants.

Yoo Skybound..i was thinking the same to serperate the 2 that were having the problem, pretty sure they locked themselves out of nitrogen..seems to be getting better tho no new yellowing that i can tell and ggrowing tips look healthy so i think this is a good start??
as for building a another control i did try that, had a pic up here somehwere its the one with the toilet float in it, wasnt sure how it would work out, couldnt really think of anything better at the time you have any good ideas on that beacuse eventually i do want to build my own control for my flower room, because for this grow im just using my veg as a flower room needing only the one system.

Re: My first grow ever. Ebb and flow hydro grow Romulan Chem 4 Qrazy Train HI Kush

>>>Hmm that does make sense ooops hopefully i gave them enough recovery time, sorta ran out of options with it hopefully i can at least get the majoriity to root..
yea from all the research i thought it was nitrogen too, and a lockout more so because its only on 2 plants not all of them thank goodness, the rest are very green and healthy looking. thought my flush woulkd have unlocked them but maybe not?? will check in the morning and see..should the yellowing turn into green or will the yellow leaves fall off??

Yea it does look like a Nitrogen elated problem. Though not too familiar in the waiting time after a flush for a hydro setup, typically in soil you don't want to start feeding nutrients until new growth is seen, then go up with feeding in 1/4 strengths. I could be wrong in HYDRO since there really isn't much nutrient in the medium that your plant can live off compared to the typical soil grow. Too reiterate on what Sky said, cloning should be done on healthy plants to avoid much induced stress through deficiencies that could mostly have been 'passed on' from the mother.

>>>so it is very possible that tiny bits of it are getting sucked in thru the pump, but the pumps do have filters on them so itd have to be a superrrr tiny piece and i havnt seen any small enough to fit through the filter so its difficult to pinpoint what it is

I just read this. I looked up your system, although I cannot review it well enough to give a detailed response here, I will when I get back from work. The 'Oceanic 1' as it's called could be the source of your failures. I know your system is based entirely off of it (which should point more to the problem) but you should be warned with 'set-up-and-go' hydro setups. Not saying you should not purchase them, just that all the specs may not line up to how the system should be running at optimal settings. Something to look into ;). Cheers, AG.

hey AG thanks bro..yea also thought nitrogen lockout...i did do my flushing last week and did start with lowww nutrients, repeated my week 1 feeding which was a small amount and i continued that for a few days and everything seemed to be moving forward, and also i think the plants unlocked themselves because they are looking pretty nice now ill see whats up in the morning

as for taking cuttings off my sickly plants..yea dumb move on my part damn most of the clones are drooping, not standing up nice nad happy as id hope..fuck!!modified my clone tent/stand so hopefully they perk up by morning or else i think im screwed on that as well..
but thanks again for all the help thus far AG and Skybound..much appreciated we all know i need it!:thanks::Namaste:

>>>as for building a another control i did try that, had a pic up here somehwere its the one with the toilet float in it, wasnt sure how it would work out,

Did you buy the system, or someone gave it to you, it seems like it wasn't working from the start since now I'm remembering the toilet plunge control that you built at the beginning. Was this to fix an already faulty control or did you just want something bigger than a 3 gallon control bucket?

>>>couldnt really think of anything better at the time you have any good ideas on that beacuse eventually i do want to build my own control for my flower room,

If I were to simplify this setup I would probably scrap the whole control unit (more room for mechanical malfunction) and go with a simple water pump, digital timer, and drain tubing. The water pump would go from your 55gal res straight to your plants feeding buckets, when they reach the top is when your drain tubing comes in. (you can easily install these by drilling 1 1/4in holes through the side and attach the appropriate fittings as the bottom feed line) As soon as maximum volume is reached they will drain back into your res eliminating any backwards pressure. Finally you set your digital timer to the exact amount of time you tested in dry runs and should take into affect the 'drain time' of each plants feed bucket.

The system itself has to many points to where it could fail. It might be all high-end and automated, but when it comes to growing weed I say it's better to keep it simple than anything. The best ideas are sometimes the one's that already exist, and what comes into play is how you make those ideas your own. Check out my link in my signature for how I built my ebb&flow setup. Obviously not my own idea, but while I was in the whole process of setting it up (adding and removing parts I feel suited my growing needs) I realized that it both helped me learn everything I can on how to grow in a hydroponic medium and how to build my own setup in so many different variations that I can just pick and choose what parts of what systems I like best and combine it into one (not saying I have a hybrid system myself, but gives me the option to build one in the future if the need arises).

Just my 2cents to you, please don't mind my ramblings in your thread, I'm super stoned :blunt:

Not to go against AG's POV, as i think he's right about simplicity. Just answering your question if you decide to stay with what you have. I was just saying a 2nd control bucket that could be used as a triage or nursery if things go south for one or some of your harem. This way you can isolate a flush or meet of feed to the ailed plants to nurse them back to be reinserted back into the harem.

>>>as for building a another control i did try that, had a pic up here somehwere its the one with the toilet float in it, wasnt sure how it would work out,

Did you buy the system, or someone gave it to you, it seems like it wasn't working from the start since now I'm remembering the toilet plunge control that you built at the beginning. Was this to fix an already faulty control or did you just want something bigger than a 3 gallon control bucket?

>>>couldnt really think of anything better at the time you have any good ideas on that beacuse eventually i do want to build my own control for my flower room,

If I were to simplify this setup I would probably scrap the whole control unit (more room for mechanical malfunction) and go with a simple water pump, digital timer, and drain tubing. The water pump would go from your 55gal res straight to your plants feeding buckets, when they reach the top is when your drain tubing comes in. (you can easily install these by drilling 1 1/4in holes through the side and attach the appropriate fittings as the bottom feed line) As soon as maximum volume is reached they will drain back into your res eliminating any backwards pressure. Finally you set your digital timer to the exact amount of time you tested in dry runs and should take into affect the 'drain time' of each plants feed bucket.

The system itself has to many points to where it could fail. It might be all high-end and automated, but when it comes to growing weed I say it's better to keep it simple than anything. The best ideas are sometimes the one's that already exist, and what comes into play is how you make those ideas your own. Check out my link in my signature for how I built my ebb&flow setup. Obviously not my own idea, but while I was in the whole process of setting it up (adding and removing parts I feel suited my growing needs) I realized that it both helped me learn everything I can on how to grow in a hydroponic medium and how to build my own setup in so many different variations that I can just pick and choose what parts of what systems I like best and combine it into one (not saying I have a hybrid system myself, but gives me the option to build one in the future if the need arises).

Just my 2cents to you, please don't mind my ramblings in your thread, I'm super stoned :blunt:

Hahaa stay stoned my friend, i know i do. :smokin:
as for my system i bought the sucker new! and yea have had quite a few problems to this point, now that i know more about it and other hydro setups i would definetly go wiht something else. something that completly drains would be hell of a lot nice i am too worried about having root rot issues later down the road..
im gonna have to check out what you have goin on there been too busy to do anything haha hows things goin with your set up??
had some recent issues of course MITESSS ahhh theyre back the fuckers!! gettin some pics up here today

WP_20130905_006.jpg
WP_20130905_005.jpg
WP_20130905_004.jpg
WP_20130905_003.jpg

Here some pics i took this mornig of those two i transplanted a few days ago..growing at a super nice rate seeing as how i do not have them set up in the ebb flo n gro ive just been feeding them twice a day manually, and theyre loving life, except for the fact that my mendo purps hatched some damn mites!!! fuckkk, spent the day spraying away..notice the close up i took of it you can see all the dots on the top of the leaf...same situation i found myself in a month or so ago, this time caught it before it got worse, still a bitch tho.

Not to go against AG's POV, as i think he's right about simplicity. Just answering your question if you decide to stay with what you have. I was just saying a 2nd control bucket that could be used as a triage or nursery if things go south for one or some of your harem. This way you can isolate a flush or meet of feed to the ailed plants to nurse them back to be reinserted back into the harem.

Hey skybound. yea i had that same idea thats why we originally built that 5gal bucket with the toilet float in it, that was going to be for some other plants on a different feed but never got around to finishing it and currently dont have all the parts nor funds unfortunetly, could really use it too because my Chem4 isnt lookin too good again, tips are yellowing and burnt even the new growing tips. Any ideas?? pics coming shortly...

Mites? Ouch!! That is something you want to take of before your ladies get to late into a flowering stage! Have you heard of Lacewings? A grower on here (Miwa, I think) just recently started experimenting with them for an all around pest control problem. Type them into your search engine.

I have not yet transplanted my seedlings into my 3.5 gallon containers in my Ebb&Flow system. I just currently have them in 1pint clay pots and hand watering once a day.

The Chem4 looks to be still going through OR still recovering from a nute burn if the new growing tips are still drying out and turning brown/rust in color. Constantly monitor you runoff's PPM and pray that it bounces back soon!

Question, when a lockout occurs, can one do a flush simply by dialing the nute ratios way down so there's still nutes being offered, but such a minimal concentration that it still breaks up the salt build up and makes IMO a more stable recovery to the plant? Just a thought. Kidd, I noticed that pallet is not pressure treated lumber. Moisture or water exposure to this wood will eventually turn into mold. I suggest getting rid of it or making sure after you harvest you wash it off real good with a mild bleach solution to kill any spores.

When I grow in soil I usually stick to a flush with boiled tapwater with a PH of 6.2. Depending on the size of the plant sets the amount of water I use. I also usually set an indicator by gradually testing the PPM's of the runoff as the salts diminished. This was done on a watering day and was put back on 1/4 strength nutes when healthy growth appeared.

As for hydro, I have it setup something like this: Flush during one feeding time that day too a suitable PPM and continue back on track with 1/4-1/2 strength nutes. From all I've researched I believe a plant in a hydroponics system relies heavily on frequent supply of nutrients as there is no 'soil' that holds the basic ingredients for life!

>>> Kidd, I noticed that pallet is not pressure treated lumber. Moisture or water exposure to this wood will eventually turn into mold.

I didnt realize that until I looked back a page. That could be a separate watering station located next to the white-tarped floor he has in the other pictures? IDK, please elaborate Kidd! ;)

When I grow in soil I usually stick to a flush with boiled tapwater with a PH of 6.2. Depending on the size of the plant sets the amount of water I use. I also usually set an indicator by gradually testing the PPM's of the runoff as the salts diminished. This was done on a watering day and was put back on 1/4 strength nutes when healthy growth appeared.

As for hydro, I have it setup something like this: Flush during one feeding time that day too a suitable PPM and continue back on track with 1/4-1/2 strength nutes. From all I've researched I believe a plant in a hydroponics system relies heavily on frequent supply of nutrients as there is no 'soil' that holds the basic ingredients for life!

>>> Kidd, I noticed that pallet is not pressure treated lumber. Moisture or water exposure to this wood will eventually turn into mold.

I didnt realize that until I looked back a page. That could be a separate watering station located next to the white-tarped floor he has in the other pictures? IDK, please elaborate Kidd! ;)

thats sounmds like a good way to flush i shoulda done that i just did plain water for few days then added clearex then liquid karma then nutes and started off 1/4...cant really tell how that wokred out i think ok except that chem4 still having troubles. think ive decided to extend this veg out a little longer anywas still have plenty room for roots and need to get shit dialed in
hey skybound damn another good thought!! that pallet is garbage i need to get it out of there, no reason for it anyway although it is outside of my room it lays right next to it and could cause problems that you speak of real soon, things gone next time i go check it on a fill cycle haha.:Namaste:

Yeah, she looks DeliciousY!!

what is your grow area temperature? what is the pH range in your system? what are is your PPM range? how many millilitres per gallon and of what have you been feeding? are you spraying your plants with anything?

King John, as far as know, Kidd is basing his feeding schedule off of what he posted on the first page. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but here is an excerpt from his first page with related info:

Ebb flow and grow hydro set up with 12-3 gallon buckets and 55 gallon res.
General hydroponics Grow,micro,bloom nutes
3 1000 watt MH bulbs being used for veg, i am about 4 weeks solid into veg.
i have 13 plants under my lights as of now 4 under two 1000watt bulbs and 5 under the other
800cfm black hole intake fan
745cfm exhaust
an a/c unit
a couple other low cfm intake/exhaust fans
3 rotating fans
aproxx 900 square foot room
finally got my temp to stay around 78, never goes over 80 anymore.
the feeding schedule i used is as follows...these numbers represent flora grow/micro/bloom and is ml/gallon
week one...5/ 2.5/ 2.5 ppm400/600
week two 10/ 5/ 3 ppm600/800
week three 12/6/3 ppm800/1000

what is your grow area temperature? what is the pH range in your system? what are is your PPM range? how many millilitres per gallon and of what have you been feeding? are you spraying your plants with anything?

Yoo KIng John thanks for some input!! YEs AG thank you too that is the feeding sched posted below!! ill re-up all the info:
VEg room temp- for the most part stays between 76-80, never above 80, but at night does drop to low 70s probably, have to start turning the ac off at night i bet..
ph range 5.5-6.5 at this time dont have very accurate meter but it is always in that range never get too much flucuation.
PPM for now i am in the 1000-1200 range drops by aproxx 100 daily id say.
im usining 12/6/3 ml/gal of GH Floragro/micro/bloom seems to be working perfect for everything else just the chem 4 is having a hard time making full recovery...
Also have all the bloom enhancers that go with the series im using any idea and the best way to use those once i start flowering??

a pH of 5.5-6.5 is too large of a range for hydroponics to function properly, i would get a new pH meter asap. your Chem4 is showing nutrient burn and possibly from the pH fluctuation. you want pH 5.8 for hydroponic and soiless (peat moss and coco coir) and pH 6.5 for soil.

here is a nutrient availability chart

pH_chart7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom