AfricanGrower's 1st Hydro Journal - Ebb&Flow - Bubblelicious 2013

24/1/2014

HARVEST DAY 86: PART 2

This is the second part of my harvest update. I will be going over the preliminary trim, smell, washing, and drying. I will be doing a FINAL curing update in 5 to 7 days where I will discuss curing methods and Canna-Cigars (Thai-Sticks):rollit:

Whew! What a days work that was. Trimming up over 30 foot long colas is quite a task with a pair of kitchen scissors:laughtwo:

It took me a little over 12 hours to finish all the main colas. Then I woke up this morning to finish up the rest of the smaller popcorn nugs.

The smell...it is intoxicating to my nose. I'm usually fine with trimming for long periods of time, but with this strain my vision tended to blur and sharpen at certain points as I was feeling the mind-numbing, pungent aroma the Bubb gives off. At first there is a strong Lemon Zest/Skunk smell that overwhelms the nostrils. But once you start handling the herbs, a sweet, stale 'bubblegum; scent starts to come through. Hopefully with a long cure I will be able to maximize these odors. Hopefully before it knocks me out in the mean while.

Okay so these buds are so sticky, it's fantastic! The purple/pink hues show themselves throughout all the colas, and just after one day of drying, a lot of sugar leaves are fading into a deep red color.

20140123_171335.jpg

Here is the preliminary trim...I can tell you that even just this light trim I gave all the colas was tedious work. :smokin:

20140123_193158_Richtone_HDR_.jpg

This is about 8 hours into trimming everything.

20140123_171359.jpg

And here is what I completed last night. The top left are a bunch of small nugs (untrimmed) that weighed around 5-6 grams each (wet).

20140123_191137.jpg
20140123_191102.jpg

In total I have 622.6 grams (22.2oz) of wet bud. My estimates have now official changed to about 5.5 oz of dried bud ready for jars...not bad for my first hydro run!

BUT, I can somewhat hold myself responsible for not reaching anywhere near my target weight of 1LB. For one, I had no idea how this strain grew (it being for first Sativa dom. didn't help either), and second I had a lot of mistakes to endure going through this run. I will definitely be prepared to have a FLAWLESS run next month, so full potency can be reached.

Pertaining back to lack of weight, this pic below shows a cola that has a 1-2 inch gap between the upper most top growth.

20140123_193141.jpg

Well, this is seen on almost all of the main colas (branches connected to the main stalk), but some filling up more space than others. The fact that almost all the colas at that height have this lack of growth tells me there was a very detrimental 'event' that took place during growth. This was around the time where I was discussing how all the tops experienced a growth spurt last month. Soon after, growth slowed down, right around the time I was away for Thanksgiving. Most likely my error, a nutrient def is my best assumption.

Now onto the bud washing. I did another test group-type experiment that will see whether or not washing your buds have a serious impact on final dry weight. This test will determine whether or not I use this method for future harvest to come.

I used 3 buckets of distilled water. One filled with cold water at 6F. One filled with warm water at 30F. And one filled with warm water at 28F, 1TSP/Gal of Baking Soda, and Lemon Juice.

I dipped 4 average sized colas into each bucket, starting with the baking soda & lemon, then the warm water, then the cold water. The colas were agitated for around 30 seconds while submersed in the water. I then let each cola drip dry for 5 min before hanging it on the drying rack.

20140123_195003_12.jpg
20140123_194729.jpg

This is only a brief overview of my process and experiment progress. I will be posting everything in a detailed post on Hiker's Bud Washing Thread. Stay Tuned!

Here is the trim for the Bubb plant so far. I did not weigh it, but I will be putting it to good use. Any sworn-by recipes out there anyone:morenutes:

20140124_085623.jpg

Here are the buds in the drying container. I line the bottom with newspaper to keep humidity stable and have two fans that run on a timer.

20140123_195140.jpg
20140123_195117.jpg
20140124_085753.jpg

I try to keep temperature between 55-70F and RH at around 40-60% when drying my buds. I found that my methods work the best FOR ME when attempting to obtain herb at the visual and potency level of a dispensary.

20140124_085700.jpg

When drying with low temps and average RH, I notice that my buds never get 'crispy' to the point where you know you have over-dried them. I know many growers swear by paper bags, but I have never been bothered...until now. I plan on adjusting my method a bit and combining a slow dry with paper bags.

i have done research on the matter, and all that I have collected show me that grower who use these bags from the start of drying get noticeably more denser, smellier nugs, as the drying process gets extended. the one thing I had a problem with was the fact each bag had to be opened multiple times a day and 'stirred around' to prevent any thing funky.

Well the key concept I am taking out of this is the need for a SLOW dry and early fermentation. I will start with 3-5 days of drying upside down at an average humidity. Then I will give the colas a fine trim, and break them into nugs. From there, into paper bags they go for another 1-3 days before going into the jars for curing. While in the bags, the proximity (fermentation) of the nugs will give me an early start on curing. More on that in the next update.

Now onto what's remaining on Bubb. I have taken off the ScrOG net and allowed her to take natural form...she's a beut ain't she!

20140124_091050.jpg

Now I will continue with my plans for seeds and bud maturation...then down she goes.

20140124_090727.jpg
20140124_090739.jpg

Thanks guys for sticking around for so long...I would be bored as hell without all of you :passitleft:

I hope I can become a poster image of what this style can get you with MINIMAL investment, along with many other growers who are now finding the light in Capn's methods.

If you ain't doing it Capn Style, then I I don't know what the f*ck you're doing:Namaste:

20140124_091252.jpg
20140124_091241.jpg

Great update brother!

nice work xose ;)

odd no growth gaps. is that because of the shape of root ball?

nice work xose ;)

odd no growth gaps. that's cause shape of root ball?

Haha, I hope you are joking B:laughtwo:

The root ball has not entirely filled the 5 gallon pot that I put her into. The reason being I transplanted 2-3 weeks into flowering. Most vigorous root growth occurs during veg in my experience. But I poked my finger through the thick, white mass of roots, and they go right through, engulfing whatever used to be a crouton!

Congrats again AG

AG, check your PMs

Wow AG, great work man. You put in the effort and it pays off. Congrats and big reps and respect to you.
I love those long cola's, looking forward to your smoke report.;)

Nice set of updates you did AG and super big congrats on the chunky harvest. I was feeling your pain when you were going thru the trim haha its always a great thing.
That pic of the plant with lamp on was so bright I had to cover it with my hand so I could read it haha amazing lights aren't they?
As for recipes right now im shaking with dry ice but thats only until I can get my mini washing machine and new bags. If your looking for ghee recipes I can send u a bunch, hit me up via pm if u want em

WOO HOO! AG, Thanks for all the great pictures. It was fun to read and see it all. I like the way you are washing your bud and drying it. I like how you had all the buds set out in rows :) There were some REALLY nice size ones in there. I know we always want more but for a 2x4 tent, your yield is fantastic. With the looks of the root ball, do you think it would have benefit from a sooner transplant? I remember you had to wait, but can't remember why.

I love the drying contraption you've built. That should work perfect. I wish I had something like that. I bet it is stinking up your apartment right now, eh?!

That strain does not look easy to trim, but from looks of the pictures, you did an awesome job.

If you want to make oil for cooking, this is the recipe you need. I have made this no less than 25 times. It uses coconut oil and soy Lecithin. If you follow the recipe, from one oz of your trim, you should be able to get 1/2 cup of very potent oil, which is about 48 doses, depending on your tolerance. Be careful and start your sample with 1/4 teaspoon to test potency before baking with it.
How to make canna oil - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Recently I made a batch of rick simpson oil. With this oil, it is so potent, it only requires a dose the size of a grain of rice. In addition, you can smoke it from a vape that will work with concentrates. It's great stuff, but it requires you to buy $20 worth of everclear.

If you would rather just get the trichomes off your trim, the dry ice kief method and the red 200micron red bag on ebay works perfectly. Very potent smoking it by itself.

I love the last picture of the plant where you can see the curved PVC. That's classic AG right there! Can't wait to see your next project. Please send me a link when you start it.

>>If you ain't doing it Capn Style, then I I don't know what the f*ck you're doing

+1 :)

Congratulations on your harvest! I use disposable vinyl gloves and when I harvest a plant I start by cutting the branches off 1 by 1. I take the branch and first strip off all the fan leaves. I then use a pair of Fiskars Micro Tip Pruning scissors and trim all the sugar leaves flush with the bud. I then take the trimmed branches and place them in my drying rack to dry for 5-7 days or until the buds just break off the stems. I then trim off the buds from the stems and place the buds into storage containers. I take the buds out of the storage containers and place into a large bowl for 10 minutes per day for 10 days.

My drying rack

dry_fast_cactus.jpg

Fiskars Softouch Micro-Tip Pruning Snip recommended by the arthritis society

https://www2.fiskars.com Softouch Micro Tip Pruning Snip

drying racks

Grower's Edge Dry Rack w/ 2in Zipper Opening (12/Cs) [728745] - Miscellaneous - Garden Accessories - Gardening & Hydroponics Store - Horticulture Source

2' Dry Rack w/ Zipper Openings - perfectgardens

https://www.accesshydroponic.com 2' hanging dry net-without clips

https://www.accesshydroponic.com 2' dry rack w zipper openings

I have a portable washing machine similar to the Bubble Magic 5 Gallon Mini Washing Machine that I put the trimmings in a mesh bag and place inside the washing machine, I then fill the washing machine with cold water and ice cubes and set it for 2 cycles. I then place my 5 Gallon All Mesh five Bubble bags inside of a 5 gallon pail then drain the washing machine through its discharge hose into the bucket. I then remove each bag one at a time as I drain the liquid from the bag. The trichomes are gathered in the bottom of the bags and are removed in different grades and pressed in a pressing screen to remove excess water. I then take my
Large Piranha Aluminum Pollen T-Press and press the hashish into convenient sized disks.

Bubble Magic 5 Gallon Mini Washing Machine

Bubble Magic 5 Gallon Mini Washing Machine

https://www.accesshydroponic.com bubble magic 5 gallon mini washing machine

5 Gallon All Mesh five Bubble Bag Kit

https://www.customhydroponic.com 5 Gallon All Mesh five Bubble Bag Kit

Large Piranha Aluminum Pollen T-Press

https://www.theothersidevapes.com large piranha aluminum pollen t-press

Thank you KJC and Capn for your tips and tricks...I'll be sure to put tabs on them!

28/1/2014

CURE DAY 90

So I have over reached my estimates for drying time and had to put them in curing jars a little quicker than anticipated. The buds were kept in an RH of 40% and a temp of no greater than 70F. I still have to research methods on how to extend this process while using the hang-dry method.

So after the first 2 days I had to put the buds into my version of paprebags. They regained a lot of their moisture back into their outer buds, so I left them in here for next 3 days, agitating and letting the buds breath twice a day. I now understand that it is much easier to slow the drying process using a method that keeps buds in close contact.

20140126_093639.jpg
20140126_093656.jpg

I also found a random seed amongst the buds.

20140125_154003.jpg

So my total dry weight before going into jars is 161.6 grams (5.77oz). Not bad, but I am not satisfied with my results 100%. I know there is plenty of room for improvement...this is just the beginning guys.

20140127_052246.jpg

Here are some size/weight references for your comparison.

20140128_174840.jpg

20140128_174848.jpg
20140128_174859.jpg
20140128_174904.jpg
20140128_174910.jpg

The buds that I washed turned out a lot more 'airy' than the un-washed ones. I will be making an entry in the Bud Washing thread in the next 48 hours on my full review.

The rest of the Bubb plant is still maturing as we speak and should get another week at least.

Beautiful Ag, just beautiful!

Airy? Like the wash opened the buds more? Also looking forward to your smoke report. Very nice work AG!

Airy? Like the wash opened the buds more? Also looking forward to your smoke report. Very nice work AG!

Thanks. Airy as in they dried out much quicker than the other buds that were not washed. And like you said, the wash DID open up the colas, allowing for more moisture to be transpired (I assume).

Awesome going indeed Sir. :) Mr Ebb & Flow ! I shall be calling on your advice soon! :)

Thanks LA, I'll definitely be implementing a lot of your training techniques to achieve that 'flawless even canopy'. Congrats on the sponsors as well. Cheers mate;)

nice final harvest mate. theres always room for impovement, take what u have learnt form this round and make it better. :peace:

Thanks man, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom