My first tent set-up - need advice

mashikag

Hey there everyone! This is my first post but I will defo show pics of my first grow when I finally manage to set everything up.

I have just ordered 1.2x1.2x2.0m grow tent. On Monday I will purchase the extractor fan together with a carbon filter.

I have already ordered Aurora Indica seeds from nirvanashop.

My first question is, is it possible to grow in the same tent 2 rows of plants of which one of the rows are plants that undergo veg and the second row is plants that undergo flowering period. Both under different light setups in the same tent beside each other. However the only way that I think it may be possible is because I want to use CFL's for growth and as I heard they do not generate a great amount of heat and the light waves are pretty short.

Another question is about light setup. I am planning to use 3 cfl's per plant.
  • Veg: 3 cfl's per plant - 25w 6400k each
  • Flower: 3 cfl's per plant - 45w 2700k each

Another question is about the ventilation. Is the only extractor fan with the carbon filter enough to ventilate the tent which will be located in my bedroom about 20 Celsius degrees average?

What do you think about the whole set up? Also should I introduce some DIY CO2 generator for growing 8 plants?

:thanks:

1. It is possible but very difficult. Most folks run two tents for that reason. I'd recommend getting another tent or veging in a separate cabinet.

2. 3 CFL's per plant will work for veg. You'd need more than that for flowering, especially if you are going to grow large, untrained plants. One can purchase a 400 watt HPS light kit for pretty cheap.

3. That will be plenty of ventilation. You may want to look into buying a fan speed controler.

4. Your set up sounds good so far. If it were me, I'd get the light situation settled before adding CO2.

1. It is possible but very difficult. Most folks run two tents for that reason. I'd recommend getting another tent or veging in a separate cabinet.

2. 3 CFL's per plant will work for veg. You'd need more than that for flowering, especially if you are going to grow large, untrained plants. One can purchase a 400 watt HPS light kit for pretty cheap.

3. That will be plenty of ventilation. You may want to look into buying a fan speed controler.

4. Your set up sounds good so far. If it were me, I'd get the light situation settled before adding CO2.

Thanks and if I actually got one 400W hps would that be enough to provide light for 6/8 plants in the tent and could it be used for veg as well as flowering?

A 400 watter will do it. A 600 watt kit will be better and usually only $20 or so more.

I have a 600 watt digital ballast powering a Sunmaster bulb in a 4 foot by 4 foot tent.

Picture_309.jpg
Picture_2714.jpg
Picture_3344.jpg

There's 46 plants in there under the one 600 watt light. Depending on your length of veg time (how tall you allow them to get), I think 6 plants under 400 watts is definitely do-able.

That is beautiful! :thumb:

But does it mean that if I decide to go with HPS lighting I will have to improve the ventilation as they produce more heat?

Also you know these cheap kits from ebay with ballast, hps bulb and reflector for around 60 euros altogether, are they worth the money or the quality is just crap?

My temperatures were pretty stable with the 600 watt light. I did add a 4" inline exhaust fan with carbon filter, mainly for odor control. My tents are in a basement so it never gets too hot. On the other hand, my smaller tent 4'x2' only has-something like 12 CFL's. It get's hotter than the tent with the HPS, even before the exhaust.

You're going to have to play it by ear as far as what you're going to need. Keep the temps and humidity monitored and adjust or invest as needed.

Here's a link to my light kit:

Amazon: Apollo Horticulture GLK600CTAC2HPS 600 Watt Grow Light (2 HPS Bulbs Only) Digital Dimmable HPS MH System for Plants Air Cool Tube Hood

It works excellent. I did buy a SunMaster HPS bulb because I wasn't sure of the Apollo brand and I didn't want to be stuck if the original bulb blew.

What ever brand you choose, a reflector like the one in the link is your best bet, especially if you are going to be expecting heat issues. You could also always turn the ballast down.

Most of what I've done has been documented in my grow journal. It has been a total learning experience. Doing it on a budget, first time growing indoors, first time going soil less and hydro, I think it's turning out quite well. Check out my journal some time. You may be able to pick up a few tidbits.

I will defo check out your journal.

Btw do you think that the price difference that you spend when buying HPS instead of CFL's pays off in terms of yields? I know it is not the only factor that affects yields but in terms of how light can improve yield is it worth to spend more for HPS?

CFL's don't penetrate the canopy very well, even the big ones. To grow with them in flowering a person would have to employ many per plant and at different heights. That's a lot of individual bulbs, each giving off heat. It gets to be a pain dealing with all the cords and having to move them around constantly. They work great for vegetative growth. That's what I use. But when it comes to flowering, it's best to step up the light intensity.

Price per lumen or PAR rating, coupled in with the electrical bill and initial equipment cost, HPS is the way to go with your grow. I'd love to have a couple thousand true watts of LED lights, that was my initial plan. The high start up price is what discouraged me.

These are just my personal opinions. I've seen some shots of nice looking plants grown under nothing but CFL's. Still, the buds always look airy and lacking of much weight or density.

Thanks a lot for the great advises! I think you convinced me to use HPS, I will send you some photos of my tent once I set it up. Thanks again! :thanks:

If you look at this month's entries in the Plant of the Month contest, you'll see a guy's entry. Itty-bitty pictures, hard to see. But his plant looks gorgeous. He said it was grown under nothing but CFL's and I believe him. My point is that it is definitely possible to do. I still believe that if you can afford $200 for a digital HPS/MH set up, that would be your best bet-not only in price; but also in ease, efficiency, and less time having to dick around with a bunch of different single bulbs. I believe my time is valuable.

Added: Moderator 420Girl resized Proper1's photos that I mentioned above. He made a nice plant with only CFL's for flowering. I'm going to vote for his plant over my submission.

Hey Josh I have been trying to send you PM but my post count is to small to do it. Any chance you could PM me your email address or anything you use for online communication apart from this forum?

Back
Top Bottom