My Gallery & Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found in the Photo Gallery Guide thread:
What images are allowed?

Our photo gallery is only for Cannabis/Hemp/Fungi and directly related images; like plants, seeds, bongs and grow supplies. We moderate all images uploaded to the gallery. Please use "Attachments" for all non-420 related photos and note that these photos must be appropriate and otherwise conform to our Forum Guidelines. Photos of minors will be deleted without warning.

"My Gallery" used to have the photos that I upload there once I realized why the owners/staff wanted them there. It appears that My Gallery now has all the photos that I had ever put in any message using the Attachment option thrown in.

The problem is that it is now very confusing to use My Gallery since the photos that were attached are either ones that I had not planned on using more than once early on or were not 420 related as being required in the Photo Guide. Some were graphics to help one person navigate this message board. Then there are those that are someone else's photo that I added a circle or an arrow to as a way to help point out an insect problem or new pistils to show that budding has started, etc.

Is there some way to undo the merging of Attachment and My Gallery Photos? Or, a way to let us create albums? If so those of us who use the Photo Gallery as intended can separate our photos and put all of our attachment photos in an Attachment album and have a Gallery Album like we had just a few days ago.

@420 @Marc Ocean

I also noticed this yesterday and posted in my journal about it. While it’s not an issue yet, it’s going to be after a while. I use attachments for photos that aren’t 420 related and for helping other users in specific threads. This is gonna lead to a lot of non 420 images being uploaded.

On the site end of it, it seems like it’s going to drastically increase the amount of storage required.

We're trying to figure out the best way to show all of our cannabis content in one area, since most people don't want to take the time to use our gallery. It makes it impossible to go back and find photos you want later.

We've spent years and thousands of hours of discussions trying to figure out the best way to do this.

We used to never allow attachments and forced everyone to use the gallery.

Attachments were made available not long ago, to encourage more posting from those who want the easy way.

Our ears are wide open, maybe we can figure this out together.

We're trying to figure out the best way to show all of our cannabis content in one area, since most people don't want to take the time to use our gallery. It makes it impossible to go back and find photos you want later.

We've spent years and thousands of hours of discussions trying to figure out the best way to do this.

Attachments were made available not long ago, to encourage more posting from those who want the easy way.

Are gallery options customizable? I.e. can we create albums of our images, or are we working with what we see?

Are gallery options customizable? I.e. can we create albums of our images, .....
Or, pull the attachments out of the My Gallery and send them to a "My Attachments" album or database.

Most likely the people who say they don't want to take to the time to use a gallery are the same ones who cannot figure out all this 'computer stuff' but can figure out how to use the dashboard and key fob for their new car or pickup without even looking at the owner's manual;).

Encourage members to look at their photos and pick one or two that are in focus and show the issue or example of what they are talking about. Instead they dump up to 40 photos per message, all of the same plant and force the rest of us to figure out which one belongs to the question they are asking.

Could the default be set to Gallery Uploads Only, with a Filter option to Show All?

The way I use it, only good, optimized, labelled, tagged photos go to the Gallery because I figured that was the point of it; an out-of-context image with no pertinent info is no use to anyone

Can you change the source code//have it changed at a reasonable price or are you using a COTS product ("commercial off the shelf")?

Can you change the source code//have it changed at a reasonable price or are you using a COTS product ("commercial off the shelf")?

There’s the words I was looking for 🤣 I could only think of “customize”

The gallery software is getting ready to release a big update, so we'd like to wait for that first, before making any programming changes. Let's continue discussing it however, to come up with a plan :thanks:

It's a little of both, so it depends on the idea.

Sometimes we can make it happen, sometimes we can't.

Could the default be set to Gallery Uploads Only, with a Filter option to Show All?
That makes sense. That way the 'attachments' can be dumped into My Gallery but are in a separate folder so to speak that we do not have to look at unless we wanted to.

If a guest or a lurker wants to look at photos of plants and buds without having any reference to what is what they can look all they want.

One thing that would be very helpful is if we could edit our images we’ve uploaded. If I could go back and add tags or edit the description it would make it a lot easier to use the filters

We are considering giving the ability to create albums.

Historically this opened up a can of programming worms, but I think the issues may have been resolved by now.

We shall see, still discussing it in the back.

One thing that would be very helpful is if we could edit our images we’ve uploaded. If I could go back and add tags or edit the description it would make it a lot easier to use the filters
I believe you have 420 minutes to do this, is that correct? @Marc Ocean

It's a little of both, so it depends on the idea.

Sometimes we can make it happen, sometimes we can't.
In that case, you might want to call in someone to help you create a requirements document.

End users can be a good source of ideas but defining and clarify the need and forging a consensus among the stakeholders can be make or break for a project. If you're stuck at this stage, bringing in someone from the outside can help break the log jam.

I don't want to pry but have you considered that?

In that case, you might want to call in someone to help you create a requirements document.

End users can be a good source of ideas but defining and clarify the need and forging a consensus among the stakeholders can be make or break for a project. If you're stuck at this stage, bringing in someone from the outside can help break the log jam.

I don't want to pry but have you considered that?
We're not getting that deep, and cannot get into public discussions about our software.

Let's please stick to discussing features we want and let us worry about the back end noise :thanks:

If I could go back and add tags or edit the description it would make it a lot easier to use the filters
Yes, this would be an answer to consider. The photo or graphic keeps the actual file name and the only thing we need to do is revise a text file associated with that file name.

However, 420 minutes is not enough time be be able to add tags. I can see situations where one of us would realize that a photo we uploaded a week or a month or a year ago is also an example of "XYZ" and needs another tag.

Yes, this would be an answer to consider. The photo or graphic keeps the actual file name and the only thing we need to do is revise a text file associated with that file name.

However, 420 minutes is not enough time be be able to add tags. I can see situations where one of us would realize that a photo we uploaded a week or a month or a year ago is also an example of "XYZ" and needs another tag.
Giving editing options past that time opens up an endless rabbit hole of issues for us.

Can we please stay focused on the thread topic of merging the attachments with the gallery photos? :thanks:

Giving editing options past that time opens up an endless rabbit hole of issues for us.

Can we please stay focused on the thread topic of merging the attachments with the gallery photos? :thanks:

I think albums are going to be your best bet then in this instance. It will help clean up the errant images and give a nice way for users to view stuff they’re looking for without having to dig through a bunch of unrelated stuff. It would be awesome to be able to look through all of the images from a specific grow journal without having to go through 10s or 100s of pages of comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom