My HPS smelt of smoke and turned off? Euro reflector wiring burnt?

I just bought a couple 1000w HPS lights in a pinch during Cyber Monday for $135 each, air cooled hoods and bulbs. They are UL listed so you can see you don't have to spring a whole lot for something listed/certified. Most of the stuff coming out of China usually isn't UL or CE. UL/CE or not, it's always good to double check connections periodically.

Went to the local hydro, showed him a pic of the issue and he said yeah defo euro reflector and just gave me one for a tenner now, gonna keep an eye on my wires and change reflectors every 2 months if using euro will purchase a good air cooled one when I can

Went to the local hydro, showed him a pic of the issue and he said yeah defo euro reflector and just gave me one for a tenner now, gonna keep an eye on my wires and change reflectors every 2 months if using euro will purchase a good air cooled one when I can
Do you need to change the reflector that often? I did not know that they would wear out.

The one in use with the burnt wire was used for around 3-4 months and went so just to be safe that is what I am going to do for the time being until I can get a better light and reflector
I guess better safe then sorry, but still a bummer to keep buying the same things over again and again.
I feel your pain.

A good once over and dusting/cleaning before and after each run will do well as a preventive maintenance program. Even a once over a few times throughout the grow would be great. Replacement wouldn't be necessary unless something has failed/is failing. There isn't necessarily a whole lot to them and a tenner isn't the worst compared to being burnt alive or electrocuted.

Back
Top Bottom