N.J. State Senate Votes Today On Bill To Legalize Medical Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The state Senate is scheduled to vote today on a bill that would decriminalize marijuana use for some medical purposes in New Jersey, and one of the bill's sponsors said he was taken aback by residents' reactions to the proposal.

"I've been pleasantly surprised that the overwhelming response has been positive," said state Sen. Jim Whelan, D-Atlantic, who is sponsoring the measure with Sen. Nicholas Scutiari, D-Union, Somerset Middlesex.

The New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act would require the state Department of Health and Senior Services to issue registration cards to patients who have been diagnosed with debilitating medical conditions. They would then be allowed to keep six marijuana plants and have an ounce of marijuana in their possession.

It would also create "alternative treatment centers" that would provide marijuana to registered patients.

Patients would be banned from smoking marijuana in public or while operating vehicles.

Ken Wolski, executive director of the Coalition for Medicinal Marijuana New Jersey, said the bill was very conservative because no state that has allowed medicinal marijuana has smaller plant or possession limits. But he said it still would benefit people.

But at the same time, the Fraternal Order of Police New Jersey State Lodge warned the centers could become local problems.

"States with marijuana stores have been burdened with nuisance and violent crimes associated with them," Edward R. Brannigan, state FOP president, said in an advertisement with the political news site PolitickerNJ.com. "Marijuana stores in New Jersey will require local police departments to divert resources to prevent, and respond to, marijuana store-related crime, costing property taxpayers thousands of dollars in extra police services."

Whelan said he has heard from a number of people who oppose the measure, but "it's been a surprise to me but the overwhelming response has been positive. People recognize this is a bill aimed at getting pain relief ... This is not for people who have a headache, but people with diseases like multiple sclerosis and terminally ill cancer patients, and if medicinal marijuana can bring some relief for those folks then I'm for it."

But if it passes today, it remains unclear when the measure would be considered in the Assembly. Gov. Jon S. Corzine has said he would sign the bill.

Whelan said he and Scutari have talked with some lawmakers in the lower house. But that side of the Legislature is up for election in November, and potentially controversial issues typically are delayed until after then.

That schedule would give the bill a narrow window to clear both houses of the Legislature and be signed by the governor by the time the session ends in early January. If not passed by then, it and all other incomplete bills must be reintroduced and begin the process anew.

Whelan said he and others have found the issue to be less controversial than feared, so if it passes on the merits Monday, it could be considered soon there.

"Given the positive response, frankly, that I've gotten and others have gotten on this," Whelan said, "I don't see it being much of an election issue one way or the other."

But he declined to speculate on timing, saying the state's ongoing economic problems have focused much of lawmakers' attention on those issues.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Press of Atlantic City
Author: Derek Harper
Copyright: 2009 The Press of Atlantic City Media Group
Website: State Senate votes today on bill to legalize medical marijuana

I don't like how it has to be the terminally ill or those with debilitating forms of pain. Why can't someone who suffers chronic but non-debilitating forms of pain benefit from the compassionate act? Or benefits from relieft of adverse side effects of Dr. prescribed medication for any number of problems. Because I am not dying I must feel nauseous all the time? So now people have to exaggerate their claims in order to be considered so they too can legally benefit from MMJ?

It's a good start don't get me wrong I am extremely grateful another state is slowly removing their head from their arse, I just wish they would open it up a bit more so more could benefit and all can see the good in cannabis.

I still love how you can have 6 plants but not more than an ounce. If you aren't. Sounds like entrapment. Once you harvest a plant you are violating the 1 ounce limit.

from what I've read on the bill it allows for chronic pain as well, however Finding doctors right away might be difficult. The one ounce to six plants thing is a little screwy however, I agree with you there. There is also no real discussion of how patients would procure meds.
ALTERNATIVE TREATMENT CENTERS

The bill provides that DHSS shall establish a registration program authorizing alternative treatment centers to produce and dispense marijuana for medical purposes. A person who has been convicted of possession or sale of a controlled dangerous substance shall not be issued a permit to operate, or be an employee of, an alternative treatment center, unless such conviction was for a violation of federal law relating to possession or sale of marijuana for conduct that is legal under the bill. All usable marijuana, seeds and seedlings associated with the production of marijuana for a registered qualifying patient would be the property of the patient and must be provided to the patient upon request. An alternative treatment center may be reimbursed by a patient for reasonable costs associated with the production of marijuana for that patient.

An alternative treatment center permit holder or his employee would not be subject to arrest or prosecution, or penalized in any manner for the acquisition, distribution, possession, cultivation, or transportation of marijuana or paraphernalia related to marijuana on behalf of a registered identification cardholder, provided the amount of marijuana possessed by the center, combined with the amount possessed by the registered patient and his primary caregiver, does not exceed six marijuana plants and one ounce of usable marijuana per patient

hey all you jersey 420 folks email your congressman if you have ever known some one with cancer etc that med MJ helped tell them that and ask them to approve med MJ bill the senate passed more folks that e mail that never have before to congressperson more impact on them plus it may give them balls enought to do it in an election year you could ask reps to put statewide referendum nov asking for peoples opinion with house vote to occur within 30 days of nov election since senate already approved it goives them true democratic guide on a controvessial issue

Congratulations, New Jersey!!!!!!!

:cheer:

How about all the time cops spend busting in people houses? We could save a lot there!

We are making small steps very rapidly now. It seems that state after state is pulling their head out of their ass. Woohoo!!! Legalization, HERE WE COME!!!

Back
Top Bottom