Nanners or what?

NorthernCosmos

The last few days these banana like things gave started protruding from the buds on my AK420 Auto. They are unlike anything I've seen in shape and colour.

Are they "nanners"? If so, how should I proceed with this plant (it shares tent with several others)?

AK420_what_are_those1.JPG

AK420_what_are_those2.JPG

Looks like nanners to me. I've never seen a plant hermie before though. It's possible that's what's happening. I can't say for sure.

If it was mine I would separate it from the other girls untill you know what's going on.

Gorgeous looking nugs though.

Right, so most likely actual nanners... They're quite stiff, not flexible like pistils. I tried to capture pollen from them, but I can't see anything - I've never had males, and I don't know how the pollen would look, if at all visible. The plant is also having new growth, both normal and foxtailing, at day 83 (according to seed specs they're ready in 75 days, but IME, that's optimistic and it's at least 14 days before you can see any amber trichs on the calyxes).

When you see them, is it then "too late", as in pollen must have been released and any flowering plants have been pollinated?

I don't have another tent/light, so if I separate it out that means it gets the chop - it was due for that in a weeks or so anyway.

The nanners will ripen and then open up to release the pollen. The pollen itself is just super fine powder. Your nanners haven't ripened yet.

I don't know how bad your nanner crop is but I'd go 2 ways with it.

Try and trim the nanners out of the bud. Have fun with that.

Or separate her from your other girls and grow out some seedy bud. It would make fine rosin pressing material. Or just clean out the seeds and smoke it.

Back in the day you couldn't buy a bag of herb without seeds in it lol.

Yeah, this whole thing sounds risky whichever way you go about it :laughtwo:

I tried to pick out some, but there are hundreds, so not doable. In the picking process, some of them burst and I saw a little bit of pollen. I'm also getting some advice in my journal (link in the sig) - all in all I'm starting to lean towards pulling it out of the tent. I only grow autos in a single tent at this point so I have nowhere else to put it except in the 36 hour dark box for chopping...

Oh yeah, one related question: is there a point in female plant development where pollen will no longer cause the plant to make seeds?

Edit: been researching this more now, and some say that nanners so late in the flowering don't have to be a problem since it takes time before they open a start spreading pollen. Since I only got pollen from those that I pulked off the plant and cracked open, there may not be any imminent danger in the tent?

Make sure you spray everything I mean everything down with water. Just plain water kills pollen. Nanners are just part of the process. Hopefully you have other plants to harvest

Back with a post mortem on this one:

Since the nanners were closed up, I took a chance and let it stay in the tent for another 3 days without anything happening. The nanners were still closed when I harvested, and the cured buds are as good as any other I've had. I did clean up and wipe down what I could in the tent, and I rinsed all the the gear, trays & tools. I'm now on the second generation after this happened (overlapping grow), and all is well :)

Back
Top Bottom