Need advice for drying please

kruroisoi

Hello everyone.
I'm a couple weeks away from harvesting my first grow. I have 3 ak-47 autoflowers. They seem to be about a week apart so I will be harvesting them separately. I was planning on drying in my grow tent but that's not an option any more as I want to harvest each plant at the right time. Here's some pics of the closest one to harvest.
20230515_200348.jpg

20230515_200356.jpg

20230515_200438.jpg

I have purchased a separate 2x2 tent dedicated for drying and have a spare 4 inch exhaust fan and carbon filter. My problem is the outside room humidity sits between 60-70%. And I'm assuming that will raise once I add buds to dry. What is everyone's advice? Is the humidity much of a worry? Will running the exhaust full speed with all passive vents open create enough airflow inside the tent? I'll only be drying 1 plant at a time so hopefully it doesn't effect the rh too much with good airflow. Thanks in advance.

Try to get as close to 60⁰ and 62% humidity as you can.
You definitely don't want it over 70⁰
Don't want the humidity higher than 70+% nor do you want it lower than 55%.
No direct air blowing on it just airflow around it.
Normally your AC in house should keep the humidity below 70% if not then maybe a Dehumidifier is in order.
Of course the Dehumidifier will raise the room temp so you'll need more AC.

Try to get as close to 60⁰ and 62% humidity as you can.
You definitely don't want it over 70⁰
Don't want the humidity higher than 70+% nor do you want it lower than 55%.
No direct air blowing on it just airflow around it.
Normally your AC in house should keep the humidity below 70% if not then maybe a Dehumidifier is in order.
Of course the Dehumidifier will raise the room temp so you'll need more AC.
I've just started monitoring the room my dry tent will be in, has sat at 65°F and 65% rh for the last few hours. Will having the exhaust on full speed be enough airflow or is a fan needed inside?

I've just started monitoring the room my dry tent will be in, has sat at 65°F and 65% rh for the last few hours. Will having the exhaust on full speed be enough airflow or is a fan needed inside?
Only need a little airflow, but that will be part of your adjustment for temp and humidity.
More airflow should bring down both I would assume.
Just make sure there's no air blowing on the buds directly.
65⁰ and 65% isn't bad, if you could drop them both by a couple degrees it would be perfect.
It should take between 14 to 21 days to dry at that temp/humidity

Only need a little airflow, but that will be part of your adjustment for temp and humidity.
More airflow should bring down both I would assume.
Just make sure there's no air blowing on the buds directly.
65⁰ and 65% isn't bad, if you could drop them both by a couple degrees it would be perfect.
It should take between 14 to 21 days to dry at that temp/humidity
65/65 is the room the tent will be in so I don't think more airflow will bring it down any more. I don't have the tent just yet but am assuming it might raise a little once I add buds to dry. I don't have a way to control the room environment the tent will be in so im hoping 65/65 is doable.

I do my drying in a spare bathroom. The whole plant is hung in there after a bud wash in the bathtub. On the first day I run a fan in there to help dry off the extra water from the bath, but after that I turn off the fan to let them slow dry. The RH in the room is controlled at a steady 65%. It takes some courage, but it is possible to keep that plant in there drying for the better part of 2 weeks! By this time the big leaves have wrapped around the buds and while that outer shell of leaves gets dry and crispy, the bud inside stays at 65%. After a couple of weeks I trim all of the buds from the branches and break away the crispy dried outer leaves and make a pile of buds. It doesn't require a lot of trimming by that point, but for manicured looking buds, a few turns in the roto trimmer does the trick. For my personal stash, I don't mind a little leaf, so my trimming is almost done at that point.

That pile of buds will have dried a little bit while you work with them, but by the time you get them in a jar they will have dropped from 65% RH to around 62%, and this is perfect for putting the product in the jar to start officially curing. In effect, in that humidity room at 65%, they were already starting to cure towards the end of that slow dry, and after only a week or two in the jar they will have a fairly good cure going. Give them a month in that jar, and the cured pot will be amazing.

Screenshot_20230516-082553_Govee Home.jpg

Probably a change of plans. Humidity hit close to 75% overnight so im guessing this isn't an option anymore.
I'm contemplating building a diy dry box to fit in my wardrobe with my grow tent with humidity around 40-50%. I can slow my extraction way down so humidity may raise to 60ish inside the box. Does anyone have any build ideas? I don't have alot of spare room in the wardrobe so it can't be too big but id like to fit 1 whole autoflower in atleast.

65/65 is the room the tent will be in so I don't think more airflow will bring it down any more. I don't have the tent just yet but am assuming it might raise a little once I add buds to dry. I don't have a way to control the room environment the tent will be in so im hoping 65/65 is doable.
Why do you need the tent?
Just hang in the room.

20230516_093126.jpg

Any issues with this idea? I can get 2x 400x400x600mm cardboard boxes. I'm planning on removing 1 side on each and joining them together. Only airflow will be from exhaust and it'll be in my wardrobe that sits around 40-50% RH. One issue will be temp from my dehumidifier but tends to sit around 24°C (75F)

20230516_093126.jpg

Any issues with this idea? I can get 2x 400x400x600mm cardboard boxes. I'm planning on removing 1 side on each and joining them together. Only airflow will be from exhaust and it'll be in my wardrobe that sits around 40-50% RH. One issue will be temp from my dehumidifier but tends to sit around 24°C (75F)

@InTheShed dries his harvest in a box. I think @Carcass does, too.

I do!

full

I point a fan at the holes on the bottom right and the air flows out the ones top left. Depending on the RH in the box vs. the outside, the fan gets adjusted for speed, direction, and oscillation.
I have a high humidity environment that I have no control over, do you think I could close up a cardboard box completely and open once a day to release moisture/change air? Do you think that would work?

I have a high humidity environment that I have no control over, do you think I could close up a cardboard box completely and open once a day to release moisture/change air? Do you think that would work?
I think in a high RH environment that would be the last thing to do. If your humidity is over 62% I would leave the fan on all the time as your flowers will never over-dry.

Back
Top Bottom