Need advice on sick plant

malakaldayook

I'm having problems with Pineapple Haze. I sprouted two of them and got them going in DWC buckets. The first one was stunted and crunchy from the very beginning and I ended up composting it. The second got some growth but has had constant problems. Currently she is about four weeks into veg and I am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong. First, my setup:

• 5 gallon DWC: water level at bottom of basket (13.2 liter level maintained)
  • PH balanced daily between 5.8 and 6.2
  • Water temperature average 73F, generally 1.5 degree deviation up or down
  • General Hydroponics nutrients for a 13.2 liter reservoir level at 32/30/14 with 18ml Calmag (PPM approximately 1300). This is the strength that I generally use for week 3-4 of veg.
  • Reservoir water and nutes changed every 10 days
  • Roots look healthy
  • Good bubble disbursement for the roots
  • Confirmed pests are not the problem
  • Good airflow between canopy and lights
  • T5 lights on an 18/6 cycle: Distance from lights approximately 10 inches
I have used this strategy for numerous DWC buckets with near perfect results; never a problem until now. I have grown three other strains without problems but for some reason, Pineapple Haze is extremely sensitive to something that I am doing. I have read the troubleshooting forums and can't determine whether this is a reaction to nutrient toxicity or nutrient deficiency. The leaves have yellow and coppery splotches and end up clenching up like a fist. Young leaves at first look good but eventually follow the fate of the older leaves. I have included pictures of the plant and a leaf that I removed.

diagnosis02.jpg
diagnosis01.jpg

I should also mention that I planted a third Pineapple Haze in soil to be used as a mother. After an initial flush to 100PPM, my nutrient regiment has been similar ratios to the DWC mix but weaker; about 800 PPM. This one is doing beautifully, which suggests that my problem has to do with the DWC strategy. Please help?

Hi malakaldayook

She's a heavy feeder, alright, but 1300ppm in week 3? At that time I was @400. Now I'm at week 6, still below 500ppm.

Are you using RO or tap water? If latter and you're adding Cal-Mag, you might have Calcium overdose which, in turn, locks out Magnesium. So you end up with Mg defficiency.

Everything else seems fine. I wouldn't be changing the res every 10 days but there's no harm if you do.

Best.

Hi malakaldayook

She's a heavy feeder, alright, but 1300ppm in week 3? At that time I was @400. Now I'm at week 6, still below 500ppm.

Are you using RO or tap water? If latter and you're adding Cal-Mag, you might have Calcium overdose which, in turn, locks out Magnesium. So you end up with Mg defficiency.

Everything else seems fine. I wouldn't be changing the res every 10 days but there's no harm if you do.

Best.

Thanks for the quick response! I am using RO water, which is the reason for supplementing with Calmag. I do maintain a fairly heavy PPM but that was based on the response from my other strains, which seemed to love it. Still, I tend to suspect that this particular strain is a little more sensitive to that level of nutes than usual. I just wanted to make sure that backing down on the PPMs wasn't going to cause more harm if the problem turned out to be a deficiency, which from your observation is less likely.

I'll put her on a diet and report back.

Thanks!

// M

Yeah, do that, I'm curious how it's gonna turn out.

I would do a full res change to start afresh and dial back the nutes to half strength (650-700ppm). From what I read on the Interwebs, Pineaple Haze is a heavy feeder but still... 1300ppm is a lot in the first month, especially considering that you're using RO and therefore have no extra ppm in your water to begin with.

Happiness!

I changed the water and reduced the nutrient strength to about 850ppm (down from 1300): GH 15ml grow, 18ml micro, 9ml bloom, 5ml rapidstart, 2ml floralicious, 9ml CalMag for a 3.5 gallon reservoir. Maybe still a little high but I didn't want to scale back too much and risk starving her. PH was not the problem - although I primarily use an electronic PH tester, I always fall back to the chemical PH indicator drops in I have doubts. Four days after the new water: nice, new, green leaves!

Thanks, Croatsan!

Yeah, do that, I'm curious how it's gonna turn out.

I would do a full res change to start afresh and dial back the nutes to half strength (650-700ppm). From what I read on the Interwebs, Pineaple Haze is a heavy feeder but still... 1300ppm is a lot in the first month, especially considering that you're using RO and therefore have no extra ppm in your water to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom