Need electrical help.

Chimera

Uh oh..

Went to check on the children during what should have been daytime cycle, but the light was off. Checking the power, I suddenly noticed that my timer had been fused to the cable of my ballast. after ripping them apart and unplugging the ballast cable, the air was filled with a burning smell.

I'm running off of Two different outlets but I never took the time to map the place out, so they could be all on the same circuit..

Here's the layout:

Outlet 1:

2 small GH air pumps
2 440CFM Fans
1 200CFM Fan
1 20" box fan
2 timers (1800w capacity)

Outlet 2:
1000 watt ballast
1 timer (1800w capacity)

My only guess is that I ran the outlet too hard? I need some electrical advice here from someone knowledgeable.

Am I correct in my assumption? and if so how do I map my place out?

PLEASE HELP.

Cord1.jpg

timer5.jpg

You definately overloaded the circuit. Depending on your fans, those items probably pull close to 9 - 10 amps. A circuit can run a whole room full of outlets. You should only run each circuit at 75% capacity. So if your room is on a 20 amp circuit you need to be sure that you are only running a total of 15 amps on the entire circuit. To map out your space you can turn off a circuit and see which outlets have no power. Be very careful with the electricity!!!!! Incorrectly installed you can burn your house down!!!

Good Luck!

Yo C...Check out the following 420 thread link . Wiring help? It should help you with your issues. Dude, it appears you just dodged a possible major grow bullet... :peace: MF

Also carefully read the true capacity of your timers. It likely has two ratings. One in wattage (1800) and one Tungsten rating. Use the Tungsten number as your max. It is typically about half the wattage rating. So your timer is really only good for about 900 watts. Don't cheap out on timers.

I actually went through something very similar and my ballast and my timer blew out. Have you checked to make sure your 1k ballast is alright?

I actually went through something very similar and my ballast and my timer blew out. Have you checked to make sure your 1k ballast is alright?

I haven't yet... Do you think it's safe to plug in again with that wire somewhat distorted?

Nah i'd order a new wire, just to be safe. I've got a buncha electricians in the family but that gene never passed down to my sorry ass lol

You need to go buy a lottery ticket cuz you are one lucky dude! That was a fire in the making! You ABSOLUTELY need to put that light/timer on it's own circuit!!! Typical outlet circuit protection is either a 15 or 20 amp circuit breaker. That 1k light/ballast can typically pull 10 to 12 amps current. Make sure your timer is rated for 20 amps or better. Replace your ballast power cord and make sure your pumps and fans are on a different circuit than your light/ballast. :smokin:

Yeah...I don't know why I didn't just take the time to test the outlets...

Anyhow. I have moved 4 fluorescent cool blue 4" tubes & a couple of CFL's in there for the time being to keep the children alive, and ordered a new cable on 2nd day air delivery.

Also got an outlet tester which I will USE THIS TIME. Thanks for the help guys.

Were you running everything through that one timer? If thats so, thats what the problem is. Use multiple timers. You don't have all that much on if its all on one line. You might want to get one of the Little Gray Box timers. They're manual timers and can handle up to 40 amps.

No, the only thing I had plugged into that timer was the 1000 Watt ballast. I checked yesterday, and the timer was rated for 1000 tungsten.

One thing that I realized, that timer & ballast was plugged into the bathroom outlet, and that was the only thing using electricity in that room. The day that I had that issue, I had turned the bathroom light on and forgot it on (which I had never done). Maybe it was just that one light bulb that put me over the limit?

This is an example of why you NEVER max out a circuit to its limit. You should never be using more than 80% of the circuit capacity (breaker/wiring limit). Old wiring, voltage drop, inefficient ballasts, etc., contribute to more grow house fires than you would care to know. Be smart, learn all you can about your electrical and make it SAFE!

Chim,
I agree with the 75%-80% rule on circuits. When a 1000 watt balast starts up the draw is way more than 1000 watts. You have to have a buffer for spikes. I am running 4 separate timers and staggering the start times to minimize the start up load on my setup. Household circuits are typically 15 amps not enough to safely run a 1000 watt light. Check you breaker box and see what the breaker rating is. Also pull the outlet you were plugged in to. If the light wire fried there is a good chance the wire to the outlet is also cooked. The outlet itself it likely toast and should be replaced. As others have said, you dodged a bullet.

a 1000watt light runs at about 9.3 amps. that is less than 75% of a 15amp circuit. but when that light starts up it can temporarily draw as much as a full 15 amps and if it starts up with anything else overload could easily happen. usually the breaker at the sub panel trips and if it's a bathroom outlet it should be a GFCI (ground fault interrupter circuit) outlet too. Next time feel your cords especially where they plug into things. that connection was hot for a while before it failed. A hot or too warm to the touch outlet is a warning too much power is being drawn through a circuit

Hmm. Took a brief look at the breaker box this morning. Looks like my bathroom and bedroom ARE ON THE SAME CIRCUIT. It's a wonder this didn't happen earlier...

Fortunately, there is a second circuit within the same room that is meant to be used for a washing machine. I'm going to take a closer look when I get home and see what it's rated for.

a 1000watt light runs at about 9.3 amps. that is less than 75% of a 15amp circuit. but when that light starts up it can temporarily draw as much as a full 15 amps and if it starts up with anything else overload could easily happen

not exactly true. depends on whether it is a digital or magnetic ballast. magnetic ballasts are anywhere from 80 to 90% efficient, while digitals are 95 to 98% efficient. a 1k lite running thru a 80% efficient (or .8 power factor) ballast at 110vac is a 11.4 amp load. when the ballast is first started, the inrush current does spike to a higher value, but that happens very fast. much too fast for the breaker to respond. :smokin:

Alright everyone! Did my tests. Turns out that I have a dedicated 20A circuit that I can use for powering the magnetic Sunsystem ballast & 1000w Bulb, but with a short extension cord. I also have another 20A outlet that has a light load of a couple of standard lightbulbs which I can put both of my 1A fans & a couple of pumps onto, also with a short extension cord. Each item has it's own timer, and the ballast timer will be upgraded to a high quality one from my local hydroponics store.

Think I'm safe now - Do you guys think I'm on the right track? Let me know.

Back
Top Bottom