Need electrical help.

I'd also recommend a clamp on amp meter.. you can see exactly where your load issues lie and resize/balance accordingly.

Peace,

Farmer Rich

amp clamps are nice, but pricey. have you seen the kill-a-watt meter? inexpensive (around $20) and easy to use. check it out.....

Kill A Watt Meter

Hey Hogdady,

Very cool device and easy to use without pulling your panel apart. Thanks for the link!

I had some major load balancing issues going on during the summer and smoked 4 interval timers, a heat mat and a light rail motor. The cheap $60 model clamp on meter from HD saved me by taking the guess work out.. lucky I didn't burn the building down in the meantime.

Peace,

Farmer Rich

Hey Hogdady,

Very cool device and easy to use without pulling your panel apart. Thanks for the link!

I had some major load balancing issues going on during the summer and smoked 4 interval timers, a heat mat and a light rail motor. The cheap $60 model clamp on meter from HD saved me by taking the guess work out.. lucky I didn't burn the building down in the meantime.

Peace,

Farmer Rich

i swear that two weeks dosen't go by here in tha east bay that i don't hear about another grow house fire!

Seriously. Scary stuff.

So thankful for threads like this and people like you guys. :peace:

Thanks for the help!

It looked more to me like a timer failure. All of the cheap consumer timers coming from china have really cheap mechanical relays inside. I would take your 20 amp outlet and convert it into a 220 outlet. I would then break the 220 out into 2 110 circuits of 20 amps each (this isn't hard and shouldn't be expensive to have done). I really recommend setting up a relay or contactor type relay to switch high loads. The only heavy duty timers I see are outdoor commercial hard wired type. Kind of archaic as well as expensive. with a good relay box, you can use any timer. This is also required on most every grow room controller. they can only handle 15 amps.

I found a decent Intermatic timer at my local hydroponics store today; the guy assured me that it would be fine with a 1000w light. This one's rated at 1250 tungsten, and is pretty manual, archaic, and to the point.

My problem now is finding a good 10 gage 6-9 ft. extension cable. I've checked all of my local hardware shops, and in 10-12 gage, the smallest cable you can get is 50 ft... I don't trust myself enough to make one myself, and can't seem to find one online either. You guys have any suggustions?

Lol, dude my timer that blew out was rated 1250 tungsten lol, unfortunately hydroponic guys aren't always correct

Craaaaaaap. Maybe I should just stop being cheap and just order that Intermatic timer that Hogdaddy suggested?

I found a decent Intermatic timer at my local hydroponics store today; the guy assured me that it would be fine with a 1000w light. This one's rated at 1250 tungsten, and is pretty manual, archaic, and to the point.

My problem now is finding a good 10 gage 6-9 ft. extension cable. I've checked all of my local hardware shops, and in 10-12 gage, the smallest cable you can get is 50 ft... I don't trust myself enough to make one myself, and can't seem to find one online either. You guys have any suggustions?

Is this the one you got?
24 Hour Dial | Intermatic, Inc.
They're rated at 40 amps. Its what I use. It will run 4 or 5 1000w lights no problem. For a 6' extension cord got to the hardware store and ask for an appliance extension cord. They are very heavyduty. Like this one.
Major Appliance Extension Cord, 6' # EC 680506L by Prime Wire & Cable

Craaaaaaap. Maybe I should just stop being cheap and just order that Intermatic timer that Hogdaddy suggested?

i mean its tomato/tomatoe

there are ppl who run 1500w on a 1000w tungsten w/no problem, then there are other ppl who like you and me get the short end of the stick. Greenisland(a member here) recently posted that he had a 1750 tungsten timer that blew out and he only had 1 1k watter on it..

so idk

Is this the one you got?
24 Hour Dial | Intermatic, Inc.
They're rated at 40 amps. Its what I use. It will run 4 or 5 1000w lights no problem. For a 6' extension cord got to the hardware store and ask for an appliance extension cord. They are very heavyduty. Like this one.
Major Appliance Extension Cord, 6' # EC 680506L by Prime Wire & Cable

No, that's the one I was considering upgrading to if the one I have dosen't work out.

Here's the one I have.
Grasslin T35 24 hour electromechanical Plug-in Timer

As for the extension cord, I saw one exactly like that at home depot. I just didn't think 14g was thick enough? If so, I'll pick one up on my way home!

If you are going to use the tungtsen rating (I don't), you have to do some math. Divide the tungsten rating by the line voltage. In your case, 1250/120=10.4 amps. I already stated that your 1k lite/ballast may draw (@ 80% efficiency) 10.4 amps. You can see that you have no cush in the ratings. I recommend that you use amp ratings when considering equipment, and don't be cheap. Spend a few extra bucks and do your homework and you won't come home to the fire department draggin your grow into the street after they put out the fire.

If you are going to use the tungtsen rating (I don't), you have to do some math. Divide the tungsten rating by the line voltage. In your case, 1250/120=10.4 amps. I already stated that your 1k lite/ballast may draw (@ 80% efficiency) 10.4 amps. You can see that you have no cush in the ratings. I recommend that you use amp ratings when considering equipment, and don't be cheap. Spend a few extra bucks and do your homework and you won't come home to the fire department draggin your grow into the street after they put out the fire.

Yeah... you're right, the math doesn't add up. And now that I think about it, the guy at the hydro store looked a bit blazed....

I've checked everywhere in town, and this was the best timer I could find. The only other one they had was a 20A timer @ 240. What does it take to hook one of those up? Or should I just spend the $40+s&h and buy that one you posted?

Yeah... you're right, the math doesn't add up. And now that I think about it, the guy at the hydro store looked a bit blazed....

I've checked everywhere in town, and this was the best timer I could find. The only other one they had was a 20A timer @ 240. What does it take to hook one of those up? Or should I just spend the $40+s&h and buy that one you posted?

you can't use the 240v on 120v. the timer motor is designed for the rated voltage. bear in mind that the timer i referenced has to be hard wired. :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom