Need electrical help.

I guess what threw me off is that it said that it was rated for "15 amps resistive" - and knowing that it draws 10.4 amps, that seemed right. My bad. Hopefully they will let me return it....

Bought it. Now off to the hydroponics store to return this fire hazard. Thanks Hogdady, you're the best.

Hey Hog, I've got one more question for you, mate.

I'm planning on making a good short 10 gage extension in the next week or two, but for now, is it safe to run a 14g 9ft. extension as shown below, to power the 1k magnetic ballast?

Major Appliance Extension Cord, 6' # EC 680506L by Prime Wire & Cable

I actually went through something very similar and my ballast and my timer blew out. Have you checked to make sure your 1k ballast is alright?

Dro. Pretty sure whatever happened to you, happened to me. Just replaced my outlet cable, bought a new 12gage extension, replaced the timer, only to realize that my ballast blew out.

Powered it on for the first time; started out alright but then started flickering and got extremely dull. Now it won't turn on..... Anyone know a good place to find a cheap ballast? :yikes:

Dro. Pretty sure whatever happened to you, happened to me. Just replaced my outlet cable, bought a new 12gage extension, replaced the timer, only to realize that my ballast blew out.

Powered it on for the first time; started out alright but then started flickering and got extremely dull. Now it won't turn on..... Anyone know a good place to find a cheap ballast? :yikes:

You could always just replace the internal components. Do some searches online for ballast kits. You will buy this from a lighting supply house not a garden supply.

Haha. well. I'm not much of an electrical expert (as this thread shows). So I don't know if I have what it takes to really even diagnose what's wrong with it...

Haha. well. I'm not much of an electrical expert (as this thread shows). So I don't know if I have what it takes to really even diagnose what's wrong with it...

If it were me, I'd lay the damaged ballast ( if that turns out to be the case) aside for the time bein, bite the bullet and spring for a new one. Time is money, or in this case, time is smoke. You can get a new ballast quicker than dinkin around with tryin to chase parts to repair the other with even more possible & further mechanical delays. Repair the old one at your leisure and youll have an extra or back up but gettin and or keepin the operation runnin IMO, is always the priority. Over analysis causes paralysis...:peace: MF

Yeah, unfortunately I think that's whats going to happen, Freddie. My babies have been under CFLs for over a week now..and I'd like to change that asap. I totally want to get the thing fixed, so I'll do so on my own time, and find one to replace it for now.

Watching an infinity 1000w switchable digital that ends on ebay today for $200. Wish me luck!

C...Ya might try ridin Craigslist(farm & garden section) in your area also... There are some good deals if ya know what youre lookin at. A lot of barely used grow equipment from folks who had more money than they had good sense...lol If you stay at it, you can pick up a slightly used lite & ballast for what youd pay retail for a ballast alone...good luck...:peace:MF

Yeah! I've checked craigslist religiously ever since getting into growing. There is NOTHING but crappy overpriced shop lighting for sale where I live..

DONE. Purchased a Sunsystems budget grow ballast. out the door w/ s&h for $160.

Sun System Budget Gro 2 Grow Ballast : Grow Light Supply

Hopefully my grow will go smoothly from here on out >.<

Yo Hog. That timer showed up today. Turns out it's only for air conditioners, as one of the pegs is sideways >.<

Got any other suggustions...?

sorry, i missed the appliance statement in the description. easiest at this point to change the outlet to this configuration. home depot has 'em

5aed1815-a7f4-4785-ae26-945b0d245a80_300.jpg

If one of the pegs is sideways you got a 240v timer. Sounds like a mistake in shipping or packaging.

not a 240v outlet...it's a high amp appliance plug.....

Back
Top Bottom