Need Experienced Opinion For First Grow

bozz

I have recently been researching and getting ready for my first grow. I'm using the only spare room in my house, my walk-in closet. I already have my seeds ready, and am planning on getting my supplies soon.

I'm going with this:

Tent
Dark Room 48x48x78 inch Hydroponic Grow Tent - Access Hydroponic

Lights
HPS Grow Light Systems
MH Grow Light Systems
do I need only one or both?

Fan
CYBERNETIC POWER 6" In-Line Fan for Hydroponic Indoor Garden
I was going to set up the intake fan attached to the air vent of the closet with a coil, will that work? and as for the exhaust I'll make one from the back of a small fan and another coil, any other ideas?

Soil/Other supplies I'll get from a store.

Any suggestions and stuff I should know before I start please let me know!

Thanks.

here's a good starting point, a top 5 mistakes thread I made a while back:

TOP 5 Mistakes I Made w/ 1st Grow

Now, I'm about a year or two out of practice and I used CFLs for my stealth grow but I believe you want to use the MH for veg and the HPS for flowering. Be sure to verify this as I've been known to talk out of my ass from time to time.

Good luck! You should start a grow journal and let us have a front row seat to the action!

here's a good starting point, a top 5 mistakes thread I made a while back:

TOP 5 Mistakes I Made w/ 1st Grow

Now, I'm about a year or two out of practice and I used CFLs for my stealth grow but I believe you want to use the MH for veg and the HPS for flowering. Be sure to verify this as I've been known to talk out of my ass from time to time.

Good luck! You should start a grow journal and let us have a front row seat to the action!

Great thread :p Good thing I didn't go with the auto-flow. plants, I ordered feminised ones. What material were the pots? Does plastic work well? And for humidity can I just use a regular humidifier?

You do not need both hps and mh, IMO. You can get a MH conversion bulb. I prefer to use cfls' during veg. In my experience they help create tight internodes. Generate very little heat, inexpensive to operate, no ballast neccessary and they are inexpensive and are redibly available.

Plastic works just fine, I like to put holes in the sides for extra o2 absorbtion. A regular humidifier is fine as long as your hid light is sealed.

You do not need both hps and mh, IMO. You can get a MH conversion bulb. I prefer to use cfls' during veg. In my experience they help create tight internodes. Generate very little heat, inexpensive to operate, no ballast neccessary and they are inexpensive and are redibly available.

Plastic works just fine, I like to put holes in the sides for extra o2 absorbtion. A regular humidifier is fine as long as your hid light is sealed.

What he said ^

For exhaust, if you want to save money, use like 2-4 computer fans. Make sure to seal them up and they will provide plenty of airflow.

Ixnay that. I just now saw the size of your tent. Don't go with computer fans.

I also put a tiny desk fan inside my cabinet to blow directly ont he plants to help strengthen the branches.

Also, for a small grow you may be able to get by with no humidifer. I didn't use one and my cabinet stayed comfy in the 70-80% humidity range. The plants themselves perspire quite a bit and if it's enclosed, that moisture will stay in the cabinet. (Well, then again i was using cfls... a hotter lamp my disperse the humidity)

What he said ^

For exhaust, if you want to save money, use like 2-4 computer fans. Make sure to seal them up and they will provide plenty of airflow.

I also put a tiny desk fan inside my cabinet to blow directly ont he plants to help strengthen the branches.

Also, for a small grow you may be able to get by with no humidifer. I didn't use one and my cabinet stayed comfy in the 70-80% humidity range. The plants themselves perspire quite a bit and if it's enclosed, that moisture will stay in the cabinet. (Well, then again i was using cfls... a hotter lamp my disperse the humidity)

Alright thanks for the help! I'll make sure to make a journal when I start :thumb:
I would use passive intake. That fan looks like it will do the trick for exhaust of hot air. Are you planning on odor control?

Renuzit® - Aroma & Renew Line of Air Fresheners
Those around the closet and maybe a carbon scrubber if it gets too smelly.

Ona gel does wonders as well. If you only have a few plants it may not become an issue. Some strains are more dank than others.

What he said ^

Good info on humidity. I put a damp towel over my oscillating fan. this will help raise your RH. Misting them once or twice a day will turn the trick as well.

Depends. MJ does not need a sleep cycle while in veg. So if you want growth 24/7 leaves your lights on 24 hours a day. If you want to save some $, leave them on for 18 and off for 6. For flowering you will want to have your lights set for 12 on and 12 (minimum)off. If you are running clones you would be best at 18 on and 6 off, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom