Need help identifying leaf discoloration

khadine

This is my first grow attempt and am growing in my garage. I am growing two plants, a Candy Cane and Jack Herer both auto fems, each in 3 gal. pots. The mix I have is a bottom layer of perlite and Shultz seed starter plus mixed with a 50% ratio of perlite. I topped with a layer of House Garden Organic starter mixed with 10% perlite. Neither are pre fertilized.

The Jack Herer popped the soil a week ago and the Candy Cane a day or two later. They are under 42w cfl's, 3 6500k and one 2700k. Right now they are about 3" above the plants. I just set up two 42w 6500ks as side lights yesterday. They are about 5 inches away from the Jack.

I have a fan blowing on both the plants and the temp above the plants fluctuates between 80-85 F. I have the lights and fan on a 20/4 cycle. The humidity is 45%.

I have been watering with a mix of 50/50 RO water and well water no nutes. I've been checking for moisture using the finger method and when dry watering around the circumference of the plant to just damp. PH of water between 6.0 and 6.2.

I noticed this morning that there was a slight yellow discoloration on the Jack's first set of leaves. Would it be a lack of nutes? I have read that you shouldn't feed until the cotyledon leaves fall off so I have been holding back.

Any help would be appreciated.

DSC018608.JPG

Re: Need help identifying leaf discoloration.

Thanks go4snyper. Seeing as I can't help but check on them every freakin' hour I should notice if it gets any worse.

I know yoy are excited, but if you look at them all the time, it actually makes it harder to notice changes. If you only go in once or twice a day, then you've had enough time in between observations to be able to recognize that it looks different.

Good luck.

This looks normal to me. They run on stored energy and usually look pale until roots develop a bit.

Expect the first set of real leaves to fade at some point.

The humidity is pretty low so be careful to not let them dry out completely. You can cut the top off a water bottle to make a little dome for the seedlings. Use the top (with the hole) for a few days until the roots set if you want a little insurance. Plants are a lot safer in humid conditions when they are so small.

I know yoy are excited, but if you look at them all the time, it actually makes it harder to notice changes. If you only go in once or twice a day, then you've had enough time in between observations to be able to recognize that it looks different.

Good luck.

Ain't that the truth! This being my first time it's hard to keep from trying to tweak or fiddle with them. I'll be taking a photo of them once a day as part of my routine to help pick up any subtle changes. Thanks.

This looks normal to me. They run on stored energy and usually look pale until roots develop a bit.

Expect the first set of real leaves to fade at some point.

The humidity is pretty low so be careful to not let them dry out completely. You can cut the top off a water bottle to make a little dome for the seedlings. Use the top (with the hole) for a few days until the roots set if you want a little insurance. Plants are a lot safer in humid conditions when they are so small.

You've just lowered my stress level, as I've never grown before and haven't figured out what is and isn't normal.

We've had record breaking snow this winter and the snow melt is leaking into my garage. The floor in the garage has about 1/4" of water over it at the moment which has brought the humidity up to 55-60%. This should help. Thanks.

Ok, here's an update and a current photo maybe some one can help with this. The leaves started cupping slightly like a taco shell and I removed the side lights and the reflector from the overhead lights as they were holding in too much heat, even with the fan on. Temps now are between 75-80 F and drop to 70-72F during dark cycle and the plant was looking a little better next day. Unfortunately, 4 days ago I used the wrong jug and gave them a 1/4 dose of DNF grow in the water. I gave them a flush yesterday with straight 2 litres of RO at PH 6.0 - 6.1. Run off was 1/2 litre and PH was 6.4. Now the plant has been growing well again but the discoloration is slightly worse as can be seen in the photo.
Jack_Apr_1_2015.JPG

Would this still be the left over effects of the heat stress or would this be nute burn from the 1/4 dose of grow nutes? The plant is growing well and the Candy Cane which popped 2 days later in a pot next to it is looking pretty good as the next photo shows.

Candy_Apr_1_2015.JPG

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

You are doing just fine. Honestly, the first few sets of leaves basically sacrifice themselves and run themselves ragged just trying to make sure the plant survives enough to grow instead of die. They always crap out once the plant gets going and always show every little scar they endured in their childhood.

You are doing just fine. Good job on adjusting the temp. You've solved that problem even if those leaves never look beautiful again. Remember, when all is said and done, every healthy perfect plant still has leaves that turn brown, die, and fall off. And most photos I've seen of Auto's at the end of the grow look like hell even if the bud is outstanding (I've not got any advice since I've never grown that way.

Make sure you know the difference between normal healthy self-pruning and tear on leaves and actual nutrient issues that need attention.. Not understanding stuff like that is what gets new growers in trouble. They decide that something that is not a problem is a problem. And then when they correct something that was not a problem, now they've really got a problem

I wish new growers would sprout their seeds in a basic seed starter mix, transplant to a rather complete pre-made soil (Ocean Forest or similar shit), and then just sit back and give the plants water and light and just a little bit of nitrogen half way through vegetation and a little bit of phosphorus and potassium once or twice halfway through blooming. On average, they would be successful their first time because they wouldn't go into it thinking they had to be some sort of mad scientist with a laboratory of magic potions with the belief that they must do all these crazy "Maximum Yield" methods. Of course, they would not achieve that maximum yield, but when for the first time you grow more marijuana than you've ever seen in your life, who cares if you grew this many grams or that many grams per plant if the actual quality is outstanding?

Anyway, these are just some thoughts about helping new growers I've been thinking about, not really entirely directed at OP.

Good luck. You could start one of those grow journals here. I'm not organized enough to do it that way, but maybe you are?

I second Chippy's statement.

I'd say the soggy soil will slow the young ones down more than anything at this point. I'd guess it will take days for the soil to dry to the ideal moisture. I'd prop up the pots with coffee cups or something to get as much air flow underneath as possible.

Relax and watch the little ones overcome their set backs. Resist the urge to make constant adjustments.

:thumb:

What they said.. Your little ones look fine. Take pictures and enjoy watching them grow.

I hadn't done a grow since 1986 before I started my current one, and I read and absorbed every written word I could find on how to grow these strains that weren't around back then. What I found is there isn't that much that's different. Better soils, better nutes, but in the end you just pop it in soil and watch it grow.

At the beginning I ended up burning some of mine using nutes to often and having the lights to close. I caught it in time and they survived, but the yield was almost certainly reduced because of the stress. Once I relaxed and just gave them ph balanced (6.5 ish) straight tap water the leaves were greener and they were happier. I've now got a few that are bud from about an inch above where they connect to the main stalk all the way to the top.

You've got CFLs for this first stage. What are your plans for light when they get bigger? One 600W kit with both MH and HPS bulbs would work out great for them. MH for veg, HPS for bud. Just keep it at least 2 feet away from the tops.

I'll be posting some updated pictures to my journal in a few. Check it out and you'll see some mistakes to avoid.

You are doing just fine. Honestly, the first few sets of leaves basically sacrifice themselves and run themselves ragged just trying to make sure the plant survives enough to grow instead of die. They always crap out once the plant gets going and always show every little scar they endured in their childhood.

You are doing just fine. Good job on adjusting the temp. You've solved that problem even if those leaves never look beautiful again. Remember, when all is said and done, every healthy perfect plant still has leaves that turn brown, die, and fall off. And most photos I've seen of Auto's at the end of the grow look like hell even if the bud is outstanding (I've not got any advice since I've never grown that way.

Make sure you know the difference between normal healthy self-pruning and tear on leaves and actual nutrient issues that need attention.. Not understanding stuff like that is what gets new growers in trouble. They decide that something that is not a problem is a problem. And then when they correct something that was not a problem, now they've really got a problem

I wish new growers would sprout their seeds in a basic seed starter mix, transplant to a rather complete pre-made soil (Ocean Forest or similar shit), and then just sit back and give the plants water and light and just a little bit of nitrogen half way through vegetation and a little bit of phosphorus and potassium once or twice halfway through blooming. On average, they would be successful their first time because they wouldn't go into it thinking they had to be some sort of mad scientist with a laboratory of magic potions with the belief that they must do all these crazy "Maximum Yield" methods. Of course, they would not achieve that maximum yield, but when for the first time you grow more marijuana than you've ever seen in your life, who cares if you grew this many grams or that many grams per plant if the actual quality is outstanding?

Anyway, these are just some thoughts about helping new growers I've been thinking about.

Nicely said. Should be a sticky

This is why I belong to this site. You folks are just awesome! I surf a few other sites and scour the internet for information to help me with my grow, but I post any issues I have here, as I know you helpful people on 420Mag will help out if you can.

Chippy - you've described me fairly accurately. My wife asked me why I don't just set up a cot out in the grow room! I am thinking about starting a journal and may just do that. You're advice is sound and simple, and I know I will be coming back to it time and again just to keep me centered. I'll let the plants grow themselves with a little help along the way.

CoNerd - sound advice. I've got the pot elevated and have a fan I ripped out of an old computer blowing underneath it. The soil is fairly airy so shouldn't take long. You're right, I need to try and stop tweaking things.

KSum - They are in a temporary grow room atmo. The final room will not be more than a closet, 3x2 ft sq.. I need it somewhat stealthy as I have visitors (neighbours and relatives) to my garage. So heat will be an issue without proper heat extraction/venting. I will only be growing two plants at a time for my own use. I plan on completing this grow on CFL's. However, after looking at your grow (impressive!):thumb: I may have to re assess the lights for the next one.

Weaselcracker - I agree.

Thanks again for all your help and kind words.

Don't forget about the smell. It's going to be hard to mask the smell emanating from your closet. Plus, if you have anything in the closet like clothes, they're going to smell like pot all the time. The smell begins when the seedlings get to be about a foot tall, and just gets stronger from there. I've even had to set aside clothes that I wear just in the grow to help keep the smell from following me.

Actually I can notice a slight hashy smell when I enter the room now. It wasn't there yesterday, I almost lost control and was thinking about rolling up a leaf right then and there! I've been out of smoke for a couple of months and am getting antsy! No clothes in the room just my pump and water softener so will be ok on that front.

The final room will have an exhaust fan vented to the outside.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts about helping new growers I've been thinking about, not really entirely directed at OP.

Good luck. You could start one of those grow journals here. I'm not organized enough to do it that way, but maybe you are?
Dude that’s the best advice ever!! For real bro it’s my first time and it hasn’t been all that great. But you just put it the simplest way ever. Thanks man

Dude that’s the best advice ever!! For real bro it’s my first time and it hasn’t been all that great. But you just put it the simplest way ever. Thanks man
Good morning my friend @Siegs8910 hope you are well.
Welcome to 420magazine.
Unfortunately that thread is from 2015 and you may not get a reply.
Try introducing yourself and meet everyone here.
How's your garden?

Stay safe
Bill

Back
Top Bottom