Need ideas for door construction with light proofing in mind

offroad

420 Member
Hello all,

I will be partitioning off a corner of a room to use as my flowering area. I can build and drywall the walls no problem but I am coming up dry on door ideas. Space is not large, approx 3.5' x 4' Door needs to be in 3.5' side and open outwards. Don't want to spend a lot of money and would like to use plywood for the door. Where i need ideas is on how to make it light proof. My idea incomplete as it is==> build a frame on plywood that is an inch inside the perimeter out of small wood like 1"x 1" or smaller. The door opening would be elevated off the floor 4" to allow sealing at bottom as well. The frame on door would fit the opening very closely and weatherstripping applied to the 1 inch area so it would be closed and locked with compression on the weatherstripping. How I would hinge this I have no idea and I'm not sure on what type locking latch to use. Will the hinges need to be recessed to gain the compression on the weatherstripping?

That said I'm still in planning stage completely different approaches welcome as well.

OK, too much thinking, time to burn a bowl.
Thanks in advance.

I replaced a door with a piece of Panda Film stapled along the top and to a 1" X 2" board on the bottom. I roll it up when needed and it doesnt take up any floor space like the doors did.

You can find an assortment of hinges at any hardwear store. They will all specify what type of swinging door they work on. Once you get the weatherstripping on, and the door, you can use just a simple slidebolt lock to keep the door shut.

Panda film on the inside of the room ceiling to floor you could even get zippers to go on the edges and then just the plywood some cheap hinges and a hasp to secure it if need be

They have them at lowes and home depot as well they are easy to use too

If you are going to build the walls, make it like a big cupboard, so you have to 'step' into it. Just make the door slightly larger than the opening. Build your walls; cut your doorway and frame it properly. Seal all inside joins with gap-filler caulk. Get a few large basic pin type hinges, attach to plywood door, then to frame and done. Add some weather strip to the outside of the frame, or the inside of the door to light-proof the doorway; if the doorway frame is open at the floor, attach some thin rubber to bottom of the outside of the door.
Secure tight with 2-3 bolts. I'd use those window security bolts that come with a key.

Oh yeah and give the inside a few coats of flat white paint after the caulk has dried. Better than film..

I've made doors with plastic and a couple tape-on zippers, one on each side. They work fine (just don't get your hair caught,lol).
The door to my flowering room currently is pretty much exactly as you describe. The threshold if you want to call it that, is just a 1" high strip in the floor for the door to snug up against. Door is plywood. I use three sliding latches to close it. The holes that the latches slide into are angled slightly so that i can push the latch bolts in tight and make the door very snug if I want. One inch wooden strips on the door jamb for the door to close against, with weatherstripping. It's light proof. I could take photos if necessary but it's pretty basic. Anyway, Santb's work is nicer than mine so go check his out -page one of his journal if I remember right. ;)

Back
Top Bottom