New grow light question

Thanks. Confused bexause it says to use the bloom and veg switches togerger when its in flower lol i just wanted to make sure i got it haha

use both switches through the entire grow.

Yeah? Well alright man this is exactly why I'm here thanks for the tip. Why i wonder????? Inquiring mind ha

for me i can say it's from trial and error. the more fancy answer has to do with available frequencies in the light spectrum. also it's just more light lol.

It is also known that while in veg the plants pretty much ignore the red side of the spectrum, and the added wattage to run the bloom side is for the most part, wasted electricity during that cycle of growth. Also, young plants are just more tender than blooming, older plants, and they oftentimes can't handle as much light. I do not run the bloom switch during veg, but we all have our own growing styles and no one can say that either style is right or wrong.

@Emilya
You mentioned the plants ignoring the red spectrum during veg. I've got something for you to ponder.
I have the California Lightworks 550 with the controller, so I have control by percentage of the red, white, and blue spectrum. The manufacture recommendation for veg is red 60%, white 99%, and blue 99%. For bloom they say red 99%, white 99%, and blue %.
I was having trouble with my plants being very short and just not seeing any stretch. I kept raising the light, and still nothing. I was at the recommended red 60, white 99 blue 99. For a while, I tried 70 red, white 99, blue 80.
Then, I found a YouTube video from California Lightworks saying if a lights spectrum is higher in blue than red, it will be short and bushy. If the spectrum is opposite, higher in red than blue, it will be taller and stretch. I wish they put that in the instructions.
I'm not sure if this info helps with the lights with just veg and bloom switches, since I haven't messed with that style light, but I assume it's changing light spectrum.

@Emilya
You mentioned the plants ignoring the red spectrum during veg. I've got something for you to ponder.
I have the California Lightworks 550 with the controller, so I have control by percentage of the red, white, and blue spectrum. The manufacture recommendation for veg is red 60%, white 99%, and blue 99%. For bloom they say red 99%, white 99%, and blue %.
I was having trouble with my plants being very short and just not seeing any stretch. I kept raising the light, and still nothing. I was at the recommended red 60, white 99 blue 99. For a while, I tried 70 red, white 99, blue 80.
Then, I found a YouTube video from California Lightworks saying if a lights spectrum is higher in blue than red, it will be short and bushy. If the spectrum is opposite, higher in red than blue, it will be taller and stretch. I wish they put that in the instructions.
I'm not sure if this info helps with the lights with just veg and bloom switches, since I haven't messed with that style light, but I assume it's changing light spectrum.
Thanks for the input. I reasearched a lot of lights in my price range. I gave myself a $300 limit and. I really lijed the California Lightworks 400 solar xtreme. Howver it was $250 and actual power draw was only 200 +/- 3w. The one i bought is a Viraspecter. With 260 actual watts. Best i could find at price. But these switches are buggin me lol everyone says differnent so I'm gonna go with manufacturing recommended. Just do them seperate until flower but thanks everyone for the help. I lovethis place you guys/gals are so helpful ✌

Thanks for the input. I reasearched a lot of lights in my price range. I gave myself a $300 limit and. I really lijed the California Lightworks 400 solar xtreme. Howver it was $250 and actual power draw was only 200 +/- 3w. The one i bought is a Viraspecter. With 260 actual watts. Best i could find at price. But these switches are buggin me lol everyone says differnent so I'm gonna go with manufacturing recommended. Just do them seperate until flower but thanks everyone for the help. I lovethis place you guys/gals are so helpful ✌
Forgot to mention the PAR is strongest ive seen in this range. Unreal! Very very happy

@Emilya
I have a friend in Hawaii who built his own LED dial a light years ago and started experimenting with the various color levels and what it would do to his plants. We learned from his experiments [and those earlier with trigger lights] that the deep red part of the spectrum kept the plants short. The rest of the red really didn't matter in this, but just a little deep red for 20 minutes at dawn and dusk, kept the plants short. Further tests showed that the most aggressive veg growth was not in pure blue, but in a purple, consisting of mostly blue, with 25% red. We also found no significant increase in bloom growth by running the blue lights. He also got us experimenting with reptile lights back then for the UV, and we learned that an increase in trichomes does happen with a few hours of UV light around noon every day.
The lights I am running claim to be full spectrum. They combine blue, red and green, along with UV and IR running full time. Based on our earlier tests, I was skeptical about these lights, especially the UV and IR components... but it seems that in all things, including our silly light experiments, our plants are incredibly adaptable. I will know more at the end of this grow, but so far it seems that the plants don't mind these lights and actually seem to be thriving under them... and it reassures me that when I hit the bloom switch, I get a lot more red and deep red light. Consistent with the early work, I am finding that stretch is being kept to a minimum, and for that I credit the full time deep red.

Back
Top Bottom