New Grower: 600, 1200 or 2000 LED watts for 5 plants?

JR7

420 Member
Hello. Gonna start my legal, medical grow in January. I've got a grow tent, now I need a light. I've heard good things about the Bestva Elite Series LED. Should I go 600, 1200 or 2000 watts for a 5 plant grow? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Peace.

:welcome: to the forum...

I'd take a step back from those lights. My first light was a Bestva/King X6 Dimmable 1800W COB LED Grow Light. I used this in a 2' X 4' tent, and needed more light. I grew four plants in the tent under that light. The two at the sides produced 40% less than those in the center.

Don't let those numbers on the lights fool you.
The 600W version only draws 132W,
the 1200W version only draws, 257W,
and the 2000W version only draws 401W.

Now here's the kicker, they are only good for 3sq ft, 6sq ft, and 10sq ft of grow area. You need at least 40W/sq ft during flower from these lights to get a decent harvest.

Just for laughs, lets see what you'd need for a 2' X 4' tent, that's 8 sq ft. I'd go with three of the 600W lights, as the light will be spread more evenly in the tent and two is just not enough. That will provide 132W * 3 or 396W total or 49.5W / sq ft. They will cost you $360 USD.

What I recommend in your situation is 2, 2' X 4' tents, one for flowering, and one for seedlings and vegging. This will let you harvest two good sized plants about every three months. With the right stains and care that those harvests can be a lb or more each. I'd get the tallest tents that will fit in your space. As an example for any tent you will lose one foot for your containers, and at least a foot and a half for your light and the distance required between the canopy and the light. In a five foot tall tent you are left with 30" for your plants to grow. Now, if you put a filter in there, subtract another 12", which lets you grow 18" plants.

For lights, I'd recommend a Mars Hydro TSL-2000 in the veg tent, and one or two SP-250s in the flowering tent. They run $249 USD for the TSL-2000, and $259 each for the SP-250s. Your lights will cost $508 or $767 USD depending on whether you choose one or two SP-250s. I'd try one to start, and bring in the second SP-250 if you later decide you need it. As a bonus, Mars Hydro offers the members here a 3% discount.

There's a lot more research to be done and decisions to be made before you order your equipment.
What will you grow in?
What nutrients will you use?
How will you control the environment for your plants?
Answering these will lead to more questions.

Just ask them. We all like to help someone get a good start.

That's good info. Thanks.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just make you aware of some of the mistakes I made. Buying the wrong light was my biggest. Anything else is usually much cheaper to replace. My first tent was 5' high. Even without a filter it was a real pain to keep the plants under something resembling control. The second tent I bought has a 6' X 4' floor. I never used it, as by the time for my next grow I realized that I would have problems moving the plants around due to a bad back. I bought a 2' X 4' X 7'-8' tall tent, and set it up as a 7' as my ceilings aren't high enough for an 8' tent. There's a lot of gotchas that any grower with some experience have encountered. The folks here would like to help you steer clear of them.

Hi JRT, congrats on the legal grow firstly and welcome to :420:. For the light you mentioned, they are the old traditional blurple led grow lights, and on the ebay or amazon, as the competition between sellers are veryfurious, some sellers might use the misleading info to attract buyers. :Namaste: As long as you know what you are looking for, and how to identity, then you will also get the right lights there.
I am the representative of Mars Hydro, we have released the new TS, and SP line, which is really high light efficiency while with lower cost. You might want to check out. :)
For your 5 plants growing, may I know how big space you want to grow with them? Because plants can grow big or small, talller or scrog, so plants quantity cannot decide the light you want to use, only the grow size. :) I can help you pick the right light if you could help me know your size. :)

Welcome to 420 Mag!

What size space are you working with? It's hard to give you a solid light option without tent size. You can grow one monster in a 4 x 4 or a multiple smaller ones.

A few things to also consider when choosing a light are the components that make up the light and warranty. All our lighting features high end diodes from Samsung and Osram. All our drivers are Meanwell. I highly encourage you to check out a few of our grow Journals in our sig to see some of our results.

Lighting is one area you do not want to skimp on. It is a major contributor to yield and bud density.

All the Best,

Budget LED

Back
Top Bottom